Jamie Lidell - your opinion

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
I just got this email from a friend:
Okay, so I have been fiercely evangelizin' for a couple of weeks now about Jamie Lidell's new album (called "Multiply"). Its time I sent a proper "Holy Hell You Gotta Get This!" email to my posse.--- If you take my word without having to expose yourself to his greatness, then you can legitimately buy the album ($10) in high quality mp3 format from here (http://bleep.com/?bleep=WARP131 ).Jamie Lidell is my new Jesus. He's a pastey British whiteguy who rocks the fucking stage, channeling the spirits of Otis, Marvin, Stevie. He wears rediculous outerspace outfits. He uses and abuses drum machines, samplers, laptops, etc and manages to create a live show that just kills. He even creates beats and entire songs on the spot!!! Hallelujah!Wanna see what I am talking about? Take a look at this Introduction/Interview video from his web site (http://www.jamielidell.com/video/interview.html)Then watch this clip of his making up a song by beatboxing and sampling his own voice (http://www.jamielidell.com/video/rfh.html)Hope that was as moviong for you as it was for me.
And no, to my knowledge, he is not on Jamie Lidell's streetteam.Thoughts?

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I'm curious about this dude after reading good things in the best of 2005.5 thread...Gonna scope this out.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    well lidell has been around for ages.. most famously doing laptopy glitchey stuff with christian vogel in Super Colider... its all very Wire magazine circa 2000 stuff.

i havent heard the record yet but words like "glitchey" and "Cut up" are about as interestign to me as "emo rap" and "dusty grooves". so im not too sure about this.

intrigued yes.

production by chilly g aka gonzales no?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    He blew my socks off when I saw him live - I have yet to hear a second of his recorded stuff. Dude was building songs right before our very eyes and singing his heart out like nobody's business. It was worth the 20-odd euros it cost to see him and the trip out to Wherethehellarewe, Paris. He was not wearing a crazy outfit however - just some grubby shirt and khakis combo.

Your friend's description is pretty much on point.

and on a side note about gonzales.. its crazy that dude has done production on three of the most hyped to high hell records of the last little while - Peaches / Leslie Feist / Jamie Lidell - yet seems to recieve no props whatsoever ... esp here in canada...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Im feelin dudes music. Its good, Im sure that live show is crazy intense. But I wouldnt fly off the handle about it all.

on a side note. I AM REALLY FEELING THAT FEIST!

im still not 100% on the Feist

i like the songs i've heard but she also has a video with her dancing around with (i shit you not) Buck 65.

she's basically Jane Birkin with no nudity... but that could still be a good thing.

im really really surprised though by the lack of respect / attention Gonzales gets here in canada though... people yap about those records till the cow's come home but i never see dudes name mentioned by the local rags at all.

Im feelin dudes music. Its good, Im sure that live show is crazy intense. But I wouldnt fly off the handle about it all.

not even if you really really liked it? are you from The Fonz school of life?

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    I have not heard loads of his stuff but some of it really works for me and a lot of it really misses the mark. I'm going to make a really big effort to sit down and give his stuff a proper listen but I find him quite embaressing, its hard to explain but does anyone think he is trying a bit too hard. He strikes me as one of those people who thinks he can do everything and in fact he ends up doing everything, but never anything that special. I think he has a good voice yet its very annoying whiney perhaps. I think I want to like him however. He is from near me.

I have not heard loads of his stuff but some of it really works for me and a lot of it really misses the mark. I'm going to make a really big effort to sit down and give his stuff a proper listen but I find him quite embaressing[/b] , its hard to explain but does anyone think he is trying a bit too hard. He strikes me as one of those people who thinks he can do everything and in fact he ends up doing everything, but never anything that special. I think he has a good voice yet its very annoying whiney perhaps. I think I want to like him however. He is from near me.

he was pretty goofy and extremely enthusiatic and at first, i thought "uh-oh, not one of these guys" and then i couldn't really ignore that the music was really good and that his voice was actually quite good and that i was dancing and didn't stop dancing throughout his set. granted, i've seen him only once - but it made quite an impression (as you can tell!). i guess the lp will reveal more.

I have a Masters from there, workin on a doctorate.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    i think the music is pretty good - i like the 12" a lot - but it's weird how people have gone to such great lengths to proselytize for dude.

LOTS of different folks have said the same kind of things to me as your emailing pal, and i don't really see what it is about lidell that has inspired such a response.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

DOC BIZZLE:

I got a promo of that Feist 12''= PURE ASS

So Jamie Lideell is a white dude who sings like Otis Redding and does glitch-hop? That sounds like a formula for success for the blogosphere/wired magazine crowd.

DOC BIZZLE:

I got a promo of that Feist 12''= PURE ASS

are you talkin bout taht girl singer? what 12" was it?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i was in love with it when i first heard it (six month warp internet leak in effect), my interest has kinda wained since then, but it is still a great record. let's be honest, there's not a ton of interesting soul music coming out these days (outside of "trapped in the closet"). the fact that it was made by a british white boy is a cultural authenticity debate that i'll save for olivers blog.

and in all fairness there are very few glitchs or cut ups anywhere on multiply. his super_collider project with christen vogel is the glitchy soul type shit, and as someone mentioned, was all the rage with the wire crowd when it came out several years ago. but i really liked their first record as well (the follow up wasn't quite up to par)

• So Jamie Lideell is a white dude who sings like Otis Redding and does glitch-hop? That sounds like a formula for success for the blogosphere/wired magazine crowd.

it's far more of a crossover record than that; but i'm sure it'll have all those hipster people with haridresser haircuts gushing about how good it is since it keeps elements of the cutups & glitch-hop but marries them to recognisable melodies...

that said, the guy has an incredible voice, and the track "game for fools" even has shades of sam cooke in there...

i was in love with it when i first heard it (six month warp internet leak in effect), my interest has kinda wained since then, but it is still a great record. let's be honest, there's not a ton of interesting soul music coming out these days (outside of "trapped in the closet"). the fact that it was made by a british white boy is a cultural authenticity debate that i'll save for olivers blog.

and in all fairness there are very few glitchs or cut ups anywhere on multiply. his super_collider project with christen vogel is the glitchy soul type shit, and as someone mentioned, was all the rage with the wire crowd when it came out several years ago. but i really liked their first record as well (the follow up wasn't quite up to par)

I beg to differ in terms of R.Kelly being the only "interesting" (read:good) thing in Soul today, but to each his own.

Actually I'm kinda interested in checking dude out, not for nothing, but British folks can kill it-SOMETIMES. Thanks for sharing.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I beg to differ in terms of R.Kelly being the only "interesting" (read:good) thing in Soul today, but to each his own.

well, i don't get down like that...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Big feist fan here......caught her show down at harbourfront on canada day. She nailed a cover of "See Line Woman".

http://kcrw.com/smil/mb050621Feist.ram

Here's her doing a solo set on KCRW.....she has a foot pedal hooked up to a sampler so she can sample herself singing. Laying down 4 octaves of background vocals, dope!

I like Gonzales, dude has that quirky touch to his stuff. Not so much a fan of Peaches though.....

ps: strut's own Catalist did a dope rmx of Feist "Gatekeeper", it's on a 45 from doright.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    "Multiply" is not as schizo-synthetic as Super Collider or his previous solo material. It's very accessible and kind of creeps up on you after a while. His persona and the hype might part the waters, but definetely give it a listen before dismissing it.

well, i don't get down like that...

ummmmmmmm.........no. I'm not on them types either, homie. Thanks for generalizing.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Thanks for generalizing.

Dude step into the knowledge. In the '05, everyone knows there's only two types of r'n'b:

1. KUFI 'N' INCENSE R'N'B (Pussycat Dolls, Brooke Valentine, Amerie, Faith Evans, Mary J. Blige, Jaheim, Omarion, Usher, Sharon Jones, Jamie Lidell, etc.)

and

2. R. KELLY R'N'B (R. Kelly)

Do we need to spell it out?!?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    ummmmmmmm.........no. I'm not on them types either, homie. Thanks for generalizing.

are you not the same young_phonics who up until recently had a nag champa avatar?

are you not the same young_phonics who up until recently had a nag champa avatar?

Son of Archaic:

You coudn't tell that was a joke? an exageration of some of the type of hip-hop and soul I like? Dam, I don't even own a Mos Def, Dead Prez or Badu full length.

Thanks for generalizing.

Dude step into the knowledge. In the '05, everyone knows there's only two types of r'n'b:

1. KUFI 'N' INCENSE R'N'B (Pussycat Dolls, Brooke Valentine, Amerie, Faith Evans, Mary J. Blige, Jaheim, Omarion, Usher, Sharon Jones, Jamie Lidell, etc.)

Yeah those could filled under the "soul category" but saying Sharon Jones, Brooke Valentine, and Jaheim are the same thing is like saying NGA Fish,Young Gunnaz, and Do or Die are identical.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I'm starting to picture this Jamie Lidell guy looking/sounding like that jamiroquai dude.

h

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

I have a Masters from there, workin on a doctorate.

Just don't jump the shark!

I'm starting to picture this Jamie Lidell guy looking/sounding like that jamiroquai dude.

h

no! please stop reading all jamie lidell-related posts now! the information is getting distorted.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Yeah those could filled under the "soul category" but saying Sharon Jones, Brooke Valentine, and Jaheim are the same thing is like saying NGA Fish,Young Gunnaz, and Do or Die are identical.

Sure, but let's be honest, there's not a ton of interesting hiphop music coming out these days (outside of NGA Fish).

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    You coudn't tell that was a joke?

Sure, but let's be honest, there's not a ton of interesting hiphop music coming out these days (outside of NGA Fish).

wait til you hear East Flatbush Project's (w/Stress and Dox) "Head to Head 2005" - yikes! Can Mr. Bellamy do no wrong?

ps. i'm sorry...no word about faith yet. this is one hard lp to pin down for a decent price...i will ask my friend about it again.