FAVOURITE EASTERN-EURO LP'S?

pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
there was a thread about this on vinylvulture recently --- wondered whether the slightyl different demographic here on soulstrut would come up with a different selection?? post up some of your fav eastern euro records...hopefully a -- ive been getting into this stufff a lot over the past year or two. lots of great sounds. here's a couple of my favs to get the discussion going: there's plenty more but just trying to include albums i enjoy the majority of - rather than one-trackers of albums that are just good for breaks etc.... i'll post up more later.

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    of the ones pictured so far, the only one i KNOW i've heard is Grupa ABC, and i LOVE that record!!! i really want a copy.

ive heard bits and pieces of that Czerwone Gitary. pretty beat-heavy right?

• of the ones pictured so far, the only one i KNOW i've heard is Grupa ABC, and i LOVE that record!!! i really want a copy.

ive heard bits and pieces of that Czerwone Gitary. pretty beat-heavy right?

yeah -- only 3 good tracks but those 3 are amazing!!! should be able to find it relatively cheap online

• here's a few others -- definately not as consistent as the ones above but still have some killer moments:
    Free Photo Hosting - Photolava.com /></a><br><a border=0 href=http://www.gigyamailbutton.com/wildfire/gigyamailbutton.ashx?url=aHR*cDovL3d3dy5naWd5YS5jb2*vd2lsZGZpcmUvd2Zwb3AuYXNweD9tb2R1bGU9ZW1haWwmdXJsPWh*dHAlM*ElMkYlMkZ3d3clMkVwaG9*b2xhdmElMkVjb2*lMkZ2aWV3JTJGYzZudSUyRWh*bWw=

• Hands down, I gotta say Neimen "Suckses" and the Grupa ABC LP are my faves...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i can't stand the singing. so there are only very very few eastern euro records that i like. some of the better records:

Swinging East on MPS
    Bora Rokovic Ultra Native on MPS
    String Beat on Muza
    Prague Big Band
    Katowice Big Band
    older Jazz on Muza
    the Jazz record that inVrs has (Symposium?)
    Gustav Brom - Polymelomodus
    Modern Soul Band on Amiga
    Klaus Lenz and G??nther Fischer on Amiga/Muza
    Uve Shikora on Amiga
    Uschi Br??ning on Amiga
    Jerzy Milian on Muza

I can't think of any others right now, but most with singing totally suck!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Gitary album, dollar for dollar, is one of the best things I've heard on Muza (at least, drum-wise). I'm also quite partial to Skowronski's "Blues Rock" LP, which I think has flown under a lot of people's radar.

I've yet to hear a Breakout LP that's impressed me very much but their catalog runs pretty deep. On the Hungarian tip, that Zalatnay LP is cool for breaks but I don't think there's much more to it than that. I do like, however, the "Kangaru" OST which I think Skorpio plays on.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    The Gitary album, dollar for dollar, is one of the best things I've heard on Muza (at least, drum-wise). I'm also quite partial to Skowronski's "Blues Rock" LP, which I think has flown under a lot of people's radar.

I've yet to hear a Breakout LP that's impressed me very much but their catalog runs pretty deep. On the Hungarian tip, that Zalatnay LP is cool for breaks but I don't think there's much more to it than that. I do like, however, the "Kangaru" OST which I think Skorpio plays on.

a bunch of bands play on kangaru. kati kovacs too.

• yeah -- Sarlota Zalatnay's on it aswell -- although the Skorpio track is probably the most fun one of there.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i also like the sadowski lps. good stuff.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

like this one

btw, do yugoos count ? (or balkan in general)

• you bet!! here's a nice flutey-hard rock LP from yugoslavia:

ill do some snaps after work. poast some 2morrow.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Goykovic for Yugo Jazz. Or Asanovic. But the singing on the Asanovic records is really really horrible.

Some super nice Eastern European Prog and Psychie bands.

• i kind of agree with grope on singing with the notable exception of the novi singers and bemimbem. i think anyone who is down with the sergio mendes album stillness would flip for bemibem and its got a couple of breaks.

• i found that Bemibem LP a bit boring... but i guess maybe that scat stuff isnt my cup of tea
    - although ive dug some alot of the Novi singers that ive heard. dont Bemibem provide the vocals on that awesome PIOTR FIEGEL record that i want real bad?

---although apparently the ydid an ep aswell that ahs a cover of the "culdesac" theme on it --- i would love to hear that!! anyone got it?

if you ever find this dont bother listening. just send it to me.

and this1 i found 2 days ago diggin with NZ.
    crazy phsych rock but in a tom springfield gay kinda way.
    btw its not petr but pavel novak.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    never front on the east euro gatefold raers!!!!

heres an example of some of that greeeat cover art/ design:

and YES its one of those polish hotties

cannot go wrong with a cover like this, flip has her posing ghetto style brickwall rawness

but wait, the gatefold has yet to reveal some more...

inside shows quite a few pics of sipinska doing her thing

apparently she's into horses

nice outfit, riding around the polish countryside looking like batwoman

she's got a white one too

and like many strutters... a cat!

nope im not selling or trading this, SORRY!

nope im not selling or trading this, SORRY!

bump

• wow

• never front on the east euro gatefold raers!!!!

heres an example of some of that greeeat cover art/ design:

and YES its one of those polish hotties

first record I found in Poland...I rented this apartment in Krakow and the first day I was there, I noticed a dude set up some tables with books and records right outside the door to the building...so as Im flipping through the first crate, I saw that record(I remembered it form and old DJ Marco post) so I scooped (ended up being about 30 cents). Its a shame though about that one track on there with the SOME OF MOST RIDICULOUS BOOM BAP ever with the drums mixed ridiculously low and her voice ridiclously high...just a fader or two slides away from being a grail...I even made a mix cover a couple years ago outta the pics...

• cool -- looks like a good mix tracklist you have there -- a few of my favs on there.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I'm also quite partial to Skowronski's "Blues Rock" LP, which I think has flown under a lot of people's radar.

and this track which is not on any album and was found in the amiga archives a few years ago. i even like the singing, hell, i grew up with his music. manne rules!

• is that Manfred Krug?? he's done some great stuff --- everyone goes for krug 4 with all the loops and lovely breaks ... but the first one is a really great album. i listen to that on the regular...

yeah, in fact, all his albums have some cool stuff, my favourite is no2...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i can't stand the singing.

I have to agree with this. I like the instrumental stuff the best, be it jazz, rock or whatever. I can't get into that ??ber-dramatic style of singing that seems to pervade on a lot of east euro LPs. If it has to have vocals, I prefer when they go into the wordless squeedelideebop mode or just mellow out a bit on the brazilian/jazzy tip.

Skowronski's "Blues Rock" LP, which I think has flown under a lot of people's radar.

The one with the huge breakdown? I'm pretty sure DJ Format used that on

I think it was the track with Charlie 2Na and Akil from Jurassic 5.

• subsub 311 Posts
    I'm also quite partial to Skowronski's "Blues Rock" LP, which I think has flown under a lot of people's radar.

and this track which is not on any album and was found in the amiga archives a few years ago. i even like the singing, hell, i grew up with his music. manne rules!

is this track from no.2?

No, as far as i can recall it is not. But it sounds like it was recorded during the sessions for the no 2 album. It is available on a sampler called amiga a gogo. And yes, format sampled the skworonski in a nice way....

• is that Manfred Krug?? he's done some great stuff --- everyone goes for krug 4 with all the loops and lovely breaks ... but the first one is a really great album. i listen to that on the regular...

Amazing album, even if he gets a bit overdramatic with the singing (but then again he was technically an actor, not really trained as a singer).

Uschi Br??hning (Hi Grope!) is a amazing.

Now what do you guys think of Locomotiv GT? I've got two of their albums, the "Imaginary American Rock Musical" one and "Motor City Rock". Both have quality music and HOTBRAEKZ and everything else you nerds desire. Singing gets to me a bit as well sometimes but "I Love You Frisco" is a big favorite.

This LP

Is NICE as well, but my copy is scratched to hell. Very Lo-Fi, very cool.

- J

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i can't stand the singing. so there are only very very few eastern euro records that i like. some of the better records:

Swinging East on MPS
    Bora Rokovic Ultra Native on MPS
    String Beat on Muza
    Prague Big Band
    Katowice Big Band
    older Jazz on Muza
    the Jazz record that inVrs has (Symposium?)
    Gustav Brom - Polymelomodus
    Modern Soul Band on Amiga
    Klaus Lenz and G??nther Fischer on Amiga/Muza
    Uve Shikora on Amiga
    Uschi Br??ning on Amiga
    Jerzy Milian on Muza

I can't think of any others right now, but most with singing totally suck!

which jazz record jan? is it polish or another country?

cosine on SBB. love that stuff.
    i also quite like locomotive GT`s first album. i hate the vocals, but some of the tracks have dope melodies & breaks.
    another one i have which is not bad is GENERAL on muza.

Big Band Katowice is nice, Modern Soul Band OK at best, Jerzy Milan is really good.
    I have some new records from him that sold for big money already months after the release. they are limited to 250 copies and really really good. i think you could buy these only directly in warsaw.
    Another good polish cat is tomasz stanko. he released a few interesting bits and is still active today.