what's up with the Mos Def Big Band?

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
he/they are performing a tribute to J Dilla in Ann Arbor on MLK Day.

Comments

• Rappers with Big Bands? Has it really come to this?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Rappers with Big Bands? Has it really come to this?

I think the "big band" in question is Hypnotic Brass Ensemble. If that's the case I'm not mad at that at all. Could be wrong though, but I doubt it.

• Could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I like this as a location!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    yeah if it was the HBE that'd be cool, but I don't think it is...

edit:
    Mos Def explores jazz with the premiere of Mos Def Big Band. Drawing from material by Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Gil-Scott Heron, Beyonce and original compositions, Mos Def and his big band, with musical direction by percussionist Will Calhoun (Black Jack Johnson/Living Colour) explode the boundaries between jazz, soul & hip-hop. Featuring Will Calhoun (drums), Orrin Evans (piano), John Benitez (bass), Wallace Roney (Trumpet), Antoine Roney (Tenor/Saprano Sax), Robin Eubanks (Trombone) and Don Braden (Alto Sax). "Mos Def has proven himself an explorer as well as an eclectic�further development along these [jazz] lines really would be something to behold--for Mos devotees and open-minded jazz fans alike." -Jazztimes

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

edit:
    Mos Def explores jazz with the premiere of Mos Def Big Band. Drawing from material by Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Gil-Scott Heron, Beyonce and original compositions, Mos Def and his big band, with musical direction by percussionist Will Calhoun (Black Jack Johnson/Living Colour) explode the boundaries between jazz, soul & hip-hop. Featuring Will Calhoun (drums), Orrin Evans (piano), John Benitez (bass), Wallace Roney (Trumpet), Antoine Roney (Tenor/Saprano Sax), Robin Eubanks (Trombone) and Don Braden (Alto Sax). "Mos Def has proven himself an explorer as well as an eclectic�further development along these [jazz] lines really would be something to behold--for Mos devotees and open-minded jazz fans alike." -Jazztimes
    Well, it was publicized in the Detroit Free Press that he was playing with HBE as his "big band." I bought tickets based on that information. I need a refund if I'm going to see Mos Def's exploration into jazz. Dude's music makes me sleepy enough lately.

I could have saved that money for his upcoming movie with Jack Black. That sounds a lot more interesting.

• Drawing from material by Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Gil-Scott Heron, Beyonce

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

edit:

how bout mos def plays a cowbell and occasionally adlibs? Looks like one of the most self indulgent vanity concept projects that ive ever seen from mos def. Bravo.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Drawing from material by Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Gil-Scott Heron, Beyonce

One of these things is not like the other...

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

Drawing from material by Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Gil-Scott Heron, Beyonce[/b]

One of these things is not like the other...
    As long as they're talking about "Get Me Bodied," then it might be acceptable.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I bet you they replay the Chi-lites song...

• yeah if it was the HBE that'd be cool, but I don't think it is...

edit:

how bout mos def plays a cowbell and occasionally adlibs? Looks like one of the most self indulgent vanity concept projects that ive ever seen from mos def. Bravo.

If Ghostface did it you??d nut your pants.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

edit:

If Ghostface did it you??d nut your pants.

Dude, have you seen Mos perform live over the past four years? It just keeps getting worse and worse.

That said Ghostface live is pretty awful too.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Were any Strutters in the building for the J Dilla tribute (posters and lurkers alike)?

thoughts...

For me, and on some levels I
    But it wasn't bad at all. I just don't understand why they couldn't get Common (with Detroit musicians that obviously dig the man's stuff) or not do it at all.

The University of Michigan made mighty Mos a visiting professor recipient dude, not an honorary doctor... just a prof.