Legendary Rap Shops (Dem Otha Kind a Rekkid Stoes)

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
VIP Records ??? Long Beach, CA:Screwed Up Records and Tapes ??? Houston, TX:Peaches ??? New Orleans, LA:Music Mania ??? Austin, TX:Add on...

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Ts Wauzi

can't find pic

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Ts Wauzi

can't find pic

Good one.

And are you familiar with a shop that was out in Richmond, in a completely industrial area leading out to the Richmond Bridge?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    fifth element in minneapolis, home to ryhmesayers ent.

can't find a flick of the old music menu on rainer in seattle....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Armand's Records

Sound Of Market 1

Funk-O-Mart

Val Shively's R&B Records

PRX

Honorable Mentions:
    Third Street Jazz
    Radio 437
    Ninth Street Records

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

[/thread]

Psyche! There are a grip of STRAIGHT UP LEGENDARY record stores in New York.

• Options
    Rock N' Soul
    Beat Street.
    Fat Beats

Fuck it, why not Burkina too.

Don't have pictures of them.

• VINTAGE VINYL-ST.LOUIS

• man i loved the old armands. the new one just isn't the same.

now.. on to my armands gripe.

1. They now put the price sticker directly on the records label no matter the record. Way to ruin every record in the store.

2. maybe i keep missing it, but there's no random bin in the whole store to find a surprise. Every last record in the store in under the right name. So digging kind of isn't fun. You have to be looking for something.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    VIP Records ??? Long Beach, CA:

Screwed Up Records and Tapes ??? Houston, TX:

Add on...

I still see lots of records with Peaches stickers on them...

We got a batch of screw CDs straight from Big Bub the other day. Eric said he had a huge bbq stain on his shirt that he couldn't stop staring at. We're going to see if we can't rob some of MM's market share. Dude at the other rap shop in Austin (now closed) said MM used to straight up burn mix CDs and sell them for $15.

I'm sure you have been out to Piranha in Round Rock. He's got a pretty serious operation as far as tx rap goes and even has the fake grills, incense, and NES games.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Peaches I believe was a chain they had at least one here in Seattle before my time.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Peaches in Atlanta is cool, but Peaches in New Orleans was THE shop in town.

We got a batch of screw CDs straight from Big Bub the other day. Eric said he had a huge bbq stain on his shirt that he couldn't stop staring at.[/b]

I"M SAYIN'!!!

We're going to see if we can't rob some of MM's market share. Dude at the other rap shop in Austin (now closed) said MM used to straight up burn mix CDs and sell them for $15.

Yep, their cd's are pricey...but they've got everything. 12 years ago primarily Master P and ESG then the rest of the Screwed Up Click made Music Mania a well-oiled rap selling machine. It's going to be hard to pull folks over to your store, but if you undercut them on price surely some will stray.

I'm sure you have been out to Piranha in Round Rock. He's got a pretty serious operation as far as tx rap goes and even has the fake grills, incense, and NES games.

I'm sorry, but rap shops and Williamson County just don't mesh for me.

Oh yeah, another Texas shop that deserves a big mention is T Town Records up in Dallas, where allegedly DSR sold 250,000 copies of their mixtapes...yielding them a deal with Universal and an award for Soundscammers of the year.

• I think Music Mania even bought some Kemetic Suns tapes when we came to town way back. Cool store, and I found some dope soul LPs there.

I think Music Mania even bought some Kemetic Suns tapes when we came to town way back. Cool store, and I found some dope soul LPs there.

Austin loves it some Kemetic Suns, Kirby Dominant, Mystik Journeymen, Hobo Junction ish...and no, it's not just me.

Oh yeah, Zach...y'all are going to now have to compete with this bad boy as well. Introducing Screwed Up Records and Tapes #5, grand opening tomorrow on Loyola (2-3, fool) in Austin...

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

Peaches I believe was a chain they had at least one here in Seattle before my time.

that peaches was the shit for a long time. i bought a lot of my first rap records there and when they closed down in 92 or 93 and cleared their stock, i came up on a lot of sealed jazz joints. i wish i knew more about what to look for back then. i still see some of those wooden crates with the peaches sticker on one end.

• Is that in Atlanta? I tried to go there the last time I was in ATL and they were closed at 11:30 AM on a weekday.

Oh yeah, Zach...y'all are going to now have to compete with this bad boy as well. Introducing Screwed Up Records and Tapes #5, grand opening tomorrow on Loyola (2-3, fool) in Austin...

More on this...

4700 Loyola is in the same strip mall that used to house KAZI radio. So when you park your car in front of Screwed Up #5, you're in the same parking lot that Run DMC performed in 20 years ago. My wife grew up only blocks away from there on Loyola. Hells yeah on the synchronicity...

• Boss Ugly Bob's Records and Stereo in Memphis on East McLemore...THE old school rap spot in town, has been around since the first rap records. This is the place I send asshole, square ass Elvis and Beatles dudes to when they piss and moan about our records. Just to have these squares waste their time, make them experience that part of town, and to be really fuckin uncomfortable when they roll into that place and there are a dozen eyes on them with a "what the fuuuuck are you doing in here" look and have them ask about Elvis and Beatle records...I wish I could be there when it happens...someone told me they shut down, but I hope that isnt the case.

• Even though Records is technically open still, this spot was legendary on K Street.

On another note, does any Bay Area heads know anything bout Bobby G's? I've never been but I've heard stories bout that spot.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Is that in Atlanta? I tried to go there the last time I was in ATL and they were closed at 11:30 AM on a weekday.
    I think Earwax is closed on Sundays also. What's the sense in that? The only day that most working people have off is the day you shut down shop.

Re: Beat Street, is it still open?

• Even though Records is technically open still, this spot was legendary on K Street.

On another note, does any Bay Area heads know anything bout Bobby G's? I've never been but I've heard stories bout that spot.

AKA

SOUL DISCO

fuck, man I can??t even begin to speak about Bobby G??s record pool. Basically some offical o.g. shit. I was about 11 when me and my brother use to go there. In a nutshell bobby ran THEE record pool in the bay and was the first in bringing a lot of major artists through to the bay.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    WHERE IS MY TIME MACHINE????

Seriously, I wish I was around buying records back in the early 90s.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    I can't find any good pictures, but Street Corner Music[/b] in Southfield, Michigan was incredible when DJ House Shoes was ordering for them.