T-Pain

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I think it was the pop singles charts from last week that listed three of the top ten songs featuring T-Pain. WTF? I don't dislike the guy, but every time I turn on MTV Jams there is a new video with him singing the hook. He's getting that money while he is hot, but are people going to get tired of hearing this guy on half the damn songs coming out? What is the appeal of this vocoder dude?

Comments

• but are people going to get tired of hearing this guy on half the damn songs coming out?

I Frickin' hope so.

What is the appeal of this vocoder dude?

dudes will jump in here any minute with that live Letterman (Conan?) clip as proof that he can actually sing w/o the aid of the vocoder or whatever.

while that may be true, he still sounds the SAME ON EVERY SONG. and he makes real corny music.

here's to hoping he goes the way the of Eminem (i.e. disappears) real soon.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    he still sounds the SAME ON EVERY SONG. and he makes real corny music.

I'm sayin'.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

I'm sayin'.

I'm sayin' as well. He makes Akon sound like Nat King Cole. I used to wish Akon would take a running jump, but since T-Pain started driving me up a wall, A has been getting a default pass from me.

Didn't they do a track together? Yeesh!

I'm sayin'.

I'm sayin' as well. He makes Akon sound like Nat King Cole. I used to wish Akon would take a running jump, but since T-Pain started driving me up a wall, A has been getting a default pass from me.

Didn't they do a track together? Yeesh!

T-Pain is on Akon's label and they have done too many tracks together. Akon was one of the top selling music artists for 2007. WTF is that all about? He sold close to 3 million records or something. I don't get it.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    it's fun music.
    if you asked me a year ago i would of netpunched you in the face, but since working at the scrippy the songs grow on me as i play them every night.

it is however disposable.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    NPR had a reporton t pain a little while ago. They estimated he was on 1/3 of the time on RnB radio stations. They also said he is providing a new business model for the music industry because he's also number one in ringtone sales that can make up to three times the profit as a mp3 download. He makes special remixes just for phones and companies are jumping on this to boost sales.

• NPR had a reporton t pain a little while ago. They estimated he was on 1/3 of the time on RnB radio stations. They also said he is providing a new business model for the music industry because he's also number one in ringtone sales that can make up to three times the profit as a mp3 download. He makes special remixes just for phones and companies are jumping on this to boost sales.

It's funny. I used to get the creeping suspicion that certain action sequences in sci-fi and action movies were shot with a view specifically toward later making a video game out of them. The gratuitous pod racing scene in the 1st Star Wars sequel is the most obvious example.

Likewise, there was definitely a point not to long ago at which record execs and producers began to think of radio singles in terms of their potential as eventual ringtones. Ringtone-friendly jams.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I can't stand that mofo. His name should be D-Pain meaning that everytime I hear him it's like the pain you get from getting hit in the nuts. Besides he's got no talent.Did anybody catch the Hip Hop Honors where he sings whe Teddy Lewis?? MAN that shit straight up exposed his ass, without the talkbox he can't sing for shit.
    Like every other mainstream rapper/"singer" of his characteristics he"ll get played out fast and will be remembered as something people are kind of embarassed for liking just like MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Ja rule, 50 cent,Mase , DMX and the list goes on and on and on...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I have a feeling that this music isn't really geared towards the average Soulstrut poster...

I have a feeling that this music isn't really geared towards the average Soulstrut poster...

LOL. True indeed my Hawaiian hommie, true indeed.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Recognize the genius, you poptarts.

• I wasn't that into him at first, but he's grown on me. I don't own an album of his, but can appreciate his appearances and songs. It's funny that someone said he makes Akon sound better because I feel like T-Pain made Akon irrelevant. T-Pain is better at it than Akon is and he makes better songs.

yes, it's disposable, but in the same way that most huge pop hits always are. I bet people will still play at least one of his songs 10 years from now.

T-Pain just wants his baby back ribs.

I applaud him for the amount of money he must be making. He must have made millions this past year.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I bet people will still play at least one of his songs 10 years from now.

"Good Life" gets my vote as most likely to succeed.

• T-Pain just wants his baby back ribs.

yes! finally someone else said this.

• "Good Life" gets my vote as most likely to succeed.

does anyone else hate kanye west as much as i do? his beats are sick but his ego makes me wish he was present every time he gets play on the radio so I could slap him in his f*ckin face for that shit.

seriously.

"to have songs that are respected across the board, to have some sort of influence on the culture and to change the sound of music and inspire up-and-coming artists to go against the grain." In West's mind, his mission has already been accomplished: "If I was to say that I hadn't already done all of that, then I'd be on some fake Hollywood bullshit modesty, and that's just plain stupid."

douchebag.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

fuck do you care what Kanye West says?

• fuck do you care what Kanye West says?

"you ever see snakes on a plane?"

Kanye: plaese to stop with the talking.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts

fuck do you care what Kanye West says?

Yeah this is a hate on T-Pain thread. Get your own thread...

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    T-Pain made me feel bad about all the past critics i had toward hi-pop artists. He came and made me forget about MC hammer and Vanilla Ice combined. So much sales in 2007. It's ridiculous. Watered-down r&b hooks sponsorized by Antares, i mean wassup...The white glasses, wassup...Can't even articulate during itws, wassup...i don't get it. And i'm not hating. I even liked the Chris Brown joint for a while...lol.

• T Paid is awesome.

• T-Pain is cool, Akon is cool. Most people don't like them because they can't control how much they hear them. I say more power to them for taking the game over. I've heard some songs I don't like by these guys but a lot that I do. They are great for singing super-catchy hooks, and they can actually sing well. I prefer these two over softer R&B cats like Chris Brown or Omarion or whoever else.

• tpain was '07, in '08 its teddy penderass

• fuck do you care what Kanye West says?

Yeah this is a hate on T-Pain thread. Get your own thread...

sorry the hatred is hard to contain.

• I think it was the pop singles charts from last week that listed three of the top ten songs featuring T-Pain. WTF? I don't dislike the guy, but every time I turn on MTV Jams there is a new video with him singing the hook. He's getting that money while he is hot, but are people going to get tired of hearing this guy on half the damn songs coming out? What is the appeal of this vocoder dude?
    Yo Chan just imagine what it would sound like if Biz pulled out some vocoder styles. I would fall out of my chair.

• I don't see why half of you even care? Aren't you lot all supposed to be into funk and breaks and stuff?

At least I know Channing is a Zapp fan.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    T-Pain is cool, Akon is cool. I prefer these two over softer R&B cats like Chris Brown

Chris Brown "Picture Perfect" is killin em out there. Not Akon & 50 "I'll Still Kill" killin em in the streets but doing it big in the clurbs.

I don't see why half of you even care? Aren't you lot all supposed to be into funk and breaks and stuff?

At least I know Channing is a Zapp fan.

PLEASE BELIEVE IT JONNY!!!!!!!!!!! Now we're talking about some REAL music. Maybe time to start another Zapp thread. Roger Troutman R.I.P.

• T PAIN AND kANYE both Frickin' rule. Epiphany is a hot album yo.