Ninja Tune!

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
So for the most part I have slept on Ninja Tune releases, but from the stuff I've heard everything sounds pretty solid...What Ninja Tune joints should I and shouldn't I check out?

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    i liked the homelife stuff.. but it maybe a little too white belt for the strut.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Clifford Gilberto Rhythm Combination - "i was young and i needed the money" (98)

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    So for the most part I have slept on Ninja Tune releases, but from the stuff I've heard everything sounds pretty solid...What Ninja Tune joints should I and shouldn't I check out?

Ninja Tune is one of those rare labels where 95% percent of their releases are solid. At the very least they're interesting. What have you heard that you liked? A lot of the older stuff is more beat/break related, while recently they've been putting out far more experimental type stuff. It really depends on your tastes. A lot of the older stuff that I love might be out of print, but I've been out of the retail record game for a while, so I'm not totally up on the status.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah I haven't puirchased any of their stuff in a good 7-8 years but they've been around for over 15 years so there's a lot of potential ground to explore.

Personally I was always more interested in their more out there stuff like Funki Porcini, Up Bustle & Out, Amon Tobin, Vadim, Wagon Christ etc etc.

Having said that Mr Scruff's first album on the label is fun music and the Herbaliser did a couple of reasonable albums (though I doubt the sound has dated well).

Apart from that, Kid Koala and Coldcut themselves offer up lots of scratch happy beats.

• So for the most part I have slept on Ninja Tune releases, but from the stuff I've heard everything sounds pretty solid...What Ninja Tune joints should I and shouldn't I check out?

Ninja Tune is one of those rare labels where 95% percent of their releases are solid. At the very least they're interesting. What have you heard that you liked? A lot of the older stuff is more beat/break related, while recently they've been putting out far more experimental type stuff. It really depends on your tastes. A lot of the older stuff that I love might be out of print, but I've been out of the retail record game for a while, so I'm not totally up on the status.

I've checked out the Sixtoo, Bonobo, Blockhead, Herbaliser, & Kid Koala stuff...But my tastes are broad, anything that's interesting.

• I like Jaga Jazzist too. Specially the 'the stix' and 'magazine'albums

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yeah I haven't puirchased any of their stuff in a good 7-8 years but they've been around for over 15 years so there's a lot of potential ground to explore.

Same here. I've heard that they're going a bit dubstep lately.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    cinematic orchestra...

• I would say a most of their catalog is an acquired taste, if you have not already check out Blockhead's solo albums, DJ Food mixes and of course the tuna proprietors Coldcut. Herbaliser - Very Mercenary is an all time fav.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

dj food and amon tobin

TASTY!

• There was this Hedfunk album that was just bonkers.. I think they were a Coldcut alias. But then my CD cracked, and sadly the album's out of print now.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    they have a bunch of good comps out there that should give you a good sampling of the label.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Amon Tobin - Bricolage, from memory the first cut is very nice with upright bass etc.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    they have a bunch of good comps out there that should give you a good sampling of the label.

Xen Cuts, Funkjazztical Tricknology, and Flexistentialism should be a good start.

There was this Hedfunk album that was just bonkers.. I think they were a Coldcut alias. But then my CD cracked, and sadly the album's out of print now.

That whole era of Ninja Tune was off the hook. Those first three or four Amon Tobin albums are (the ones after that I haven't heard)

I love the early Herbaliser albums, especially Blow Your Headphones. I'm also a rider for Up, Bustle, and Out's first two albums.

• sixtoo - jackals and vipers in envy of man

http://www.virb.com/megasoid/videos/24514

great album, plays like a classic soundtrack, drums samples and synths are super

• parenparen 537 Posts
    herbaliser - blow your headphones
    herbaliser - very mercenary

picked of 'the blend' 12" with what what at rockin billy's a couple years back and smiled - that joint used to be my jam.

words.

• I like Jaga Jazzist too. Specially the 'the stix' and 'magazine'albums

"A Livingroom Hush" is my favorite.

I used to check for Ninja Tune stuff all the time, but just stopped at some point for whatever reason. A lot of their sub-labels put out good stuff too. For more hip-hop orientated stuff there's the Big Dada label, home of Roots Manuva among others.

Kid Koala always appealed to me, but his last few records were more about the concept than the quality to my ears. The last one had like a 200-page illustrated booklet, boardgame and 2 CDs or something that he did himself. Pretty wild.

Cinematic Orchestra has done some amazing things, but they have a LOT of albums, and some are sort of rehashes of older stuff. I personally recommend the soundtrack they did for "Man With a Movie Camera".

They also put out some record by a turntablist guy that went completely unnoticed but that I hear snippets of and thought was pretty good. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Had a reaaaaally tack, ??ber-techno semi-graf cover.

- J

• DJ Kentaro?

• DJ Kentaro?

Snipz?

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    that first DJ Vadim LP and the remixes are great. 2nd London funk allstars LP is another nice joint. But as others have already mentioned the first two or three label compilations are rock solid. I didn??t really check for Ninja tune releases in the last years though, with the exception of Cinematic Orchestra and the Daedelus LP (for 1 ???)

that first DJ Vadim LP and the remixes are great. 2nd London funk allstars LP is another nice joint. But as others have already mentioned the first two or three label compilations are rock solid. I didn??t really check for Ninja tune releases in the last years though, with the exception of Cinematic Orchestra and the Daedelus LP (for 1 ???)

Oh man, how could i forget that Vadim shit? I need to rip my USSR Repertoire vinyl to MP3. That shit is awesome. Remix albums are usually but the Vadim remix album is really good.

I'm glad Daedelus is messing with Ninja Tune now (or is it the other way around) I like his stuff a lot and he's a really cool guy.

• How I could I forget about Daedalus AND Vadim!?

Both supersolid. I saw Daedalus live this summer in the southwest of Norway. He did a extra hype ravey set completely different to what he does on record with one of these:

- J

• i liked that wagon christ cd when it came out.