SLEPT ON ALBUMS OF 2007

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Let's do this/educate me on some rap albums. I realized I bumped more songs than full-lenghts. And the full lengths I did purchase/going to have all been mentioned.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Kiashine/Kinfolk

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

didn't even know it came out until last week

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

Let's do this/educate me on some rap albums. I realized I bumped more songs than full-lenghts. And the full lengths I did purchase/going to have all been mentioned.

P*tr*ck, I know you have this but Choice 37's album is heat dude. Been meaning to talk about this album on hear cuz its

• didn't even know it came out until last week

Things do take a while to get the islands, brah.

*cough*we need some mp3's up in this*cough*

Cire:

Yeah choice sent me some tracks. I play "Cuba" a lot.

• didn't even know it came out until last week

I went into the local CD super store a while back..as I approached the front I noticed a car that was parked over 3 spaces including a handicap space..this bugs the shit outta me, I usually do something to annoy the driver of said vehicle by perhaps putting something on the door handles so the shit gets all over the person's hands, or once I even "glued" a large note on the windshield with sausage gravy(long story as to why sausage gravy was at my immediate disposal), so I went in and as I was thinking about what I was going to do to this vehicle...I saw the owner of said vehicle with his rather large crew...Project Pat. I thought it wise not to continue with my plan.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I liked a couple joints off of:

Port Authority by Marco Polo

Jazzy Jeff's Album

Little Brother - Get Back (minus 9th, it was still cool)

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I already told you about this one dawg, but I really dig DJ Alibi's record on Tres. Similar in sound and production to the Lightheaded LP but IMO much better. That and the Y Society album are probably my favorites of this year. Tres is selling their LPs on their eBay store for $10 a pop, $6 for 12s, so there's really no reason not to cop.

I ride for the Zeph & Azeem record (Hi Enki!), but it's different and I can understand why it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

I dig the Mighty Underdogs (Gab, Lateef, Headnodic) EP and hope it doesn't get slept on.

Teeko's album, while more of a DJ/turntablist record, was good and that dude can cut better than most of the robots doing DMC these days. Yes scratch nerd.

What I want to know is what records came out of Detroit and Chicago this year that hit locally but never really got play anywhere else. Erryone was talkin' last year like Detroit was the next big thing, and I know a lot of that was just because of Dilla, but there's gotta be some good stuff that I don't know about.

There is so much garbage to sift through, word of mouth is more important than ever these days. Knowledge me.

• Batmon, Is the rest of the Kiashine similar to that single or what? I meant to check it out but never got around to it.

• I didn't get into that Kia Shine album, personally. Crispy was cool, the remix was better, and Bluff City Classic with Ball & G was pretty good. Nothing else really stood out to me on that album.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Panacea - The Scenic Route --- I like some of this....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'll cosign on these two being kind of dope / slept upon:

Port Authority by Marco Polo

Jazzy Jeff's Album

I really WANTED to like the Kinfolk Kia Shine jawn but as a full length it just didn't measure up.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    There was some nice moments despite all the BS in 2007. I must admit that "Dillagence" is in heavy rotation in my Ipod since the release of it. "Takin what's mine" is my underground anthem for 2007...lol. I have to mention Phat Kat LP. He made me realized that Black Milk was not antoher Dilla's baby among other babies. The Caltroit mixcd was a good moment too, production-wise. And since we're talking about mixcd's, 2007 was the year of the street LPs for me. Stat Quo and his "Underground Atlanta vol.4". Brilliant. Bishop Lamont and his "N****r Noise" is top notch too. There it is : Bishop Lamont is the most slept-on artist. One line from him :

"Fuck Rap,
    Shit is wack[...]"

You can hear the rest here : http://www.zshare.net/audio/53930492f4033c/
    His next project is called "The Pope Mobile". I just can't wait. Focus is in the house. Le Freak c'est Chic baby...

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    What I want to know is what records came out of Detroit and Chicago this year that hit locally but never really got play anywhere else. Erryone was talkin' last year like Detroit was the next big thing, and I know a lot of that was just because of Dilla, but there's gotta be some good stuff that I don't know about.

Detroit, what up doe!

(Danny Boy f/ Big Herk & Phat Kat - "What up doe" Production by Nick Speed)

In Detroit, the only dudes to really really drop were Black Milk and Phat Kat, both with quality releases. Oh yeah, Waajeed dropped the War LP - it's slammin'. Everyone else is still poli'in'.

Hmm under the radar, my dude Finale (on Rawkus 50) just released his project with Spier1200 (formerly of 2 for 5). He got his solo project with beats from Dilla, Nottz, MoSS and others dropping one day. He's also doing a joint with all beats from Detroit hero/celebrity House Shoes.

http://www.myspace.com/finale

Not from Detroit, but not too far from the land of the faulty exhaust pipes and enormous potholes, my man Buff1 of Athletic Mic League dropped his LP - PURE. It's got some joints on it.

http://www.myspace.com/buff1der

I came up with these guys. Check 'em out, especially Finale.

Anyone check out that Detroit 3 Concept, out in France?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I really dig DJ Alibi's record on Tres.

I'll have to check this out. Thes put me up on Lightheaded & other releases on the label. I didn't know they were still releasing stuff.

The follow-up ep of the Jazzy Jeff album is dope. Biz kills it with his version of "Can't Buy Me Love". That schitt is piff.

Turf Talk could have gotten more love. That was a nice record.