My Record Pet Peeve

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2005 in Record Collecting
Ok, so maybe this is a wack thing to complain about but I swear to god, this shit is driving me crazy...I can't find shit in my record library anymore. Every other month, I go looking for some random record that I have the urge to listen to and 4 times outta 5...IT'S NOT WHERE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE. Provided, I'm not THE most anal retentive filer in the world, but there's a reason why I spend time alphabetizing my collection: it's so I can find stuff in it when I need to. At this point though, a misplaced record is damn near a lost record since, both ways, I have no idea to look. I've spent the last hour playing, "if I were a misplaced white label remix of '1,2 Pass It', where would I be hiding." It used to be, I'd actually comb through my entire library to find something but that was when it was a lot smaller. These days, there's just no fucking way I'm going to thumb through over 5,000+ 12"s just to find one that's gone limbo. I might as well buy it again - the time cost involved would be more economical. Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem?

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Wow! Ever since I got the ABC's I havn't really had that problem. But, there are still plenty of things that are inbetween style so I forget what section I put them in. Sometimes when I'm DJing I just put things in the wrong sleeve, but it's still not that hard to do the math and figure out where they are.

Maybe you should make a UBB section. That's where I put all my hardtodefinebutwhenIwantitI'mgonnagonutsifIcan'tfindit stuff.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    My record pet peeve is buying records I already have by mistake because I can't remember what I have.

I just heard 4 different CD mixes in the last 2 months or so with the Rattles' "Geraldine" on it. Hot song I think, so I go and find a cheap copy on eBay. Get the 45. Like it, go to put it away, and what do I find? A Rattles' "Geraldine" 45 already in my collection!

I almost just repeated that mistake with an LP this month as well, but luckily I was scanning LP covers and came across it totally randomly.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I feel you man...I do that shit on occasion too.

What's even worse is I'll work on a mix and start putting shit in wrong sleeves, like the one before it, and then I won't notice and then I'll file records back, and then I'll look for a record and it'll be empty and I'll have no idea which sleeve it's in...haha. until I find one with a missing sleeve and that's it.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Wow! Ever since I got the ABC's I havn't really had that problem.

pfft

I know where you're coming from Oliver. I have a general filing set up in the expedit but other than that it's chaos. Yet I can find almost any record in a matter of minutes. But I went to find a fucking Kano 12" of all things and it was nowhere to be seen. It seems to happen every now and then making me wonder if people are getting over on me at gigs or i'm just getting senile.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I was having that problem, then I tried categorizing according to genre. Then getting more and more specific genres. Finally I devised an idea so that as one works down (vertical-wise) the records get less and less good. (Top shelf). But categories like 'pre 85' hip hop, or post 76 jazz, instrumental hip hop, personality etc can really help. It makes refiling much easier, casue you can just throw the record back in without having to re-alphabetize it. The only problems come from records that are cross genres, then you just have to remember how you think. Kind of 'autobiographical' styles. I got like 3.5k or so, so its not as bad as you, but genre-izing it is much less overwhelming. I'm a terrible filer and its gotten so much easier, and even fun getting to decide where a record goes.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I just heard 4 different CD mixes in the last 2 months or so with the Rattles' "Geraldine" on it.

Damn - I was totally going to put that on a funky rock mix-CD. That's another pet peeve - when other folks blow up the songs you were trying to use.

Fuck that too!

Ironically, I found that white label remix after all.

Woohoo!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

What's even worse is I'll work on a mix and start putting shit in wrong sleeves, like the one before it, and then I won't notice and then I'll file records back, and then I'll look for a record and it'll be empty and I'll have no idea which sleeve it's in...haha. until I find one with a missing sleeve and that's it.

haha. same here...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    My recently developed record pet peeves are:

??? Accidentally stepping on the corner of a jacket cover leaning up against a stack on the floor and permantely creasing it

??? Carelessly dropping the record on the spindle when I go to flip it, blemishing the vinyl to the point of scraching and/or imprinting an audible nick in it

The latter happened to two of my favorite LPs, 'Come To My Garden' and Sylvers 'II' - both of which were previously in mint condition.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Once left a a gig crate on a floor heater after getting back late one night. Among the casualties were, ESG, SOUL's second album, Funk Inc's Superfunk and a bunch of 12"s. Fortunately, UFO still plays.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    I've spent the last hour playing, "if I were a misplaced white label remix of '1,2 Pass It', where would I be hiding."

Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem?

I have had the same problem and I feel you man.
    But I have also noticed that it happens more with strange names etc...
    For example..if you were referring to "1,2 pass it" by the D&D project would you have filed it under D at the very start of the D's or maybe by first artist that appears etc...

Im saying there is more room for error there than filing say "beatles" for example.

Feel me?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Yeah well I danced on my Champ[/b] LP so I don't feel sorry for none a y'all.

My pet peeve is writing on the record sleve or label. Now I gotta see what bob, the dj, thought of a track, or bpm written on it. Unless it's the artists, I don't want any writing on it, anywhere. That's only an aesthetic peeve.

I hate buying "new" and "sealed" records with skips. When I was the order guy at a vinyl/cd joint, I would pull records out of the box, right from the distributor, with nicks and scratches. This annoyed me to all hell. Most ditributors don't take vinyl returns. They didn't even take defective CD's back. We had to disguise the defects as regular returns (rotation for credit).

Or buying something that isn't doller bin material, but it's not no superdooper raer, and some old asshole charges 20 bucks for it. When I take it home, it better not have any scratches. Not for 20 bucks. For seven, maybe.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

??? Accidentally stepping on the corner of a jacket cover leaning up against a stack on the floor and permantely creasing it

This is getting out of hand for me. I need more shelving (and more space for shelving), before I kick some good record so bad it cracks...

---------------------------
    I was just saying the other day how whenever I am pulling my show, there is always one record I "need" and can't find, and then end up going through most of my collection to find it...this time it was a "The Shadow" radio show LP that I just wanted a 30 sec soundbite from, and I even have a spoken word/radio show section, but some how it was at the back of a bunch of jazz LP's...I think subconciously I just want to go through 4,543 LP's every time I pull...

• I took my Lamont Johnson Nine and stuffed the disc in another record and never found them shitz again.

Gone. Bye Bye. No Mo. History. Astalavesta baby. That boat has sailed. I looked for them shitz and all I got is that rekkid jacket with no mo rekkid in it. It is lost in the boxes and I may never see it again. Stuffed inside another rekkid jacket. I had to buy another copy of Kader but my shitz aint as clean as the missing suspect.

Rekkids are a black hole physically... mentally... spiritually...

lamont johnson nine.

FOLKWAYS.

ap

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I have various records in organized boxes, by general categories (I moved and in case I move again in the next few months, I still have some sense of organization). I do have a few crates of things that are more or less unorganized, but I know where they are.

My record pet peeve happens only if I buy blindly, via eBay. I will ask questions, and if it's someone who knows records, I will get answers. However if an album is still sealed, I have no chance of knowing until I open it.

The pet peeve is wanting albums with the original label variation, roughly a first pressing (or close to it). If the label is in the auction item itself, I don't have to worry too much. But I hate buying an album from Atlantic released pre-1973, getting it in the mail, and I see that fricken "W" (Warner) logo on the bottom. Truly irks the shit out of me, especially when I'm paying for an original, and not a lame ass mid/late 1970's pressing.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    The pet peeve is wanting albums with the original label variation, roughly a first pressing (or close to it). If the label is in the auction item itself, I don't have to worry too much. But I hate buying an album from Atlantic released pre-1973, getting it in the mail, and I see that fricken "W" (Warner) logo on the bottom. Truly irks the shit out of me, especially when I'm paying for an original, and not a lame ass mid/late 1970's pressing.

MY problem is stores who will sell a 70's or 80's issue for the same price as an original, since they dont know the difference (or care...not that they should since theyre probably not fucking nerds like us anyway)

• Co-sign on kicking records over and bending the corners. A lot of times I don't notice and am looking at a cover with a big ding in it that I don't remember being there previously. Did I do that in a drunken run to the kitchen? Was it like that when I bought it and I just wasn't paying too close attention? I'm starting to get anal about the cleanest collection possible and fucked up covers are starting to be not cool.

Also not cool is having the wrong inner paper sleeve. like a record on warner brothers with a abc/dunhill sleeve. perhaps one day ocd will drive me to match up all my mixed up inner sleeves. does this bug any one else? Or having a fresh white new sleeve in a 30 year old record? when the perfectionist/anal retentive complete-artifact-wanting brain cells are firing, something about that is just not right...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Ok, so maybe this is a wack thing to complain about but I swear to god, this shit is driving me crazy...

I can't find shit in my record library anymore. Every other month, I go looking for some random record that I have the urge to listen to and 4 times outta 5...IT'S NOT WHERE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE. Provided, I'm not THE most anal retentive filer in the world, but there's a reason why I spend time alphabetizing my collection: it's so I can find stuff in it when I need to.

At this point though, a misplaced record is damn near a lost record since, both ways, I have no idea to look. I've spent the last hour playing, "if I were a misplaced white label remix of '1,2 Pass It', where would I be hiding."

It used to be, I'd actually comb through my entire library to find something but that was when it was a lot smaller. These days, there's just no fucking way I'm going to thumb through over 5,000+ 12"s just to find one that's gone limbo. I might as well buy it again - the time cost involved would be more economical.

Man, the real problem is that you have too many records. Seriously--try cutting that number in half:

It feels liberating.

You will then be more focussed on the good records.

You'll get a little money.

In '05 it is all about slimming down the collection. I just pulled out ~40 pieces last night that I realized I don't really need.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Ok, so maybe this is a wack thing to complain about but I swear to god, this shit is driving me crazy...

I can't find shit in my record library anymore. Every other month, I go looking for some random record that I have the urge to listen to and 4 times outta 5...IT'S NOT WHERE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE. Provided, I'm not THE most anal retentive filer in the world, but there's a reason why I spend time alphabetizing my collection: it's so I can find stuff in it when I need to.

At this point though, a misplaced record is damn near a lost record since, both ways, I have no idea to look. I've spent the last hour playing, "if I were a misplaced white label remix of '1,2 Pass It', where would I be hiding."

It used to be, I'd actually comb through my entire library to find something but that was when it was a lot smaller. These days, there's just no fucking way I'm going to thumb through over 5,000+ 12"s just to find one that's gone limbo. I might as well buy it again - the time cost involved would be more economical.

Man, the real problem is that you have too many records. Seriously--try cutting that number in half:

It feels liberating.

In '05 it is all about slimming down the collection. I just pulled out ~40 pieces last night that I realized I don't really need.

You gonna break 5000 posts today there counselor?

It feels liberating.

Don't worry about me, poptart--worry about the bloatedness of your crates.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

It feels liberating.

"Don't watch me, watch TV"

ay!

It feels liberating.

"Don't watch me, watch TV"

ay!

I actually thought of posting that--tell 'im just like you tell your b!tches.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

i've tried homie...it aint easy

You gotta be heartless...

• wow. Its funny how you can spend 12 hours in some God-forsaken dungeon looking for a 45 until you knees ache and dust fills up your lungs until you cough up black mucus......but we wont bother looking for records in the comfort of our own homes.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    wow. Its funny how you can spend 12 hours in some God-forsaken dungeon looking for a 45......

how dare you call ebay God-forsaken

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

Been doing this quite a bit lately, quick scans of the spines and I'm like "I own this? Why?" Gone through all genres except soul and saved 12"s for last because they are a huge bulk of my collection and are going to be more difficult to part with. But with moving looming in a few months and lots of crap kicking around, might as well start..

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Welcome to the club, hommie. You ain't a REAL record dude until you get to that point. This is how it's been for me for probably the last 8-9 years or so (ever since I moved into my house). I try to have an idea of where most of this sh*t is suppossed to be, but if it ain't there and I need to find it- hello, Ebay or GEMM. Just too many records in here to bother trying to find that proverbial needle in the haystack. Having thousands upon thousands of records is real wack to me right now. Let me have all of this sh*t (not even all of it, just the essentials) on MP3 and I'm good at this point. I'm still waiting for Kanye to buy my whole collection from me (I know you're lurking, Kan... please, just sell one beat and sign the check over to me and you can have ERRRTHING. You'll never have to even think about stealing Eminem's drum discs again!).

• I dont buy too friviously anyways, so there's not a lot of stuff that I feel like I can get rid of. Plus, I know as soon as I get rid of something, I'll wish I had it again. Also, I can never account for my changing tastes. Garbage today, gold tomorrow....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm still waiting for Kanye to buy my whole collection from me

you serious? not necessarily about kanye but about selling off the entire stash?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

and be called Marcus?