$100 if I name the sample to Nas is Like

Comments

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts

• (post this on the net)

• The-breaks perhaps?

they wont go for it...some people over there follow a DJ Premier cult.
    i remember we started a rumor with that fish thing back then...ptofish and magnetic was there i think. After that came a about the chirps. At least ten people claimed they knew where Primo sampled the birds...They dig all types of bird in various songs. I sware some of them went on soulseek and typed "chirp bird soul" in the search box...It was so funny. Like that Craig Mack note and the now infamous hairdryer/train whistle legend.

• So yall are the ones that started the whole pink label/fish thing? Because when googling to find the sample, I came across that description a lot. That would be great if you are the ones that made it up.

• and the now infamous hairdryer/train whistle legend.

I missed this one. Inform.

It was us...i can guarantee you that. The dude that came up with it is Ptofish. He is registered here under another alias. He can confirm you that if he's reading. Make a search on the bird noise in "Nas Is Like". Pretty impressive. Some dudes dedicated their life to these little twirkiling chirping birds...

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    No one knows...

or shoud you say SOME but not all of 'em...

moss, he did show the record to a couple of other heads. I knew one personally. He NEVER spilled the beans because he said "there's only a few who knows and it would be easy to know WHO said it". So he never wanted to be pointed as "the one who said it". The aunction on ebay for this record would be going from 5$ to 500 in 24 hours!!!! Ah yea, he told me Ebay carries that record from time to time.

PS : i feel you. I will probaly carve it in my tombstone actually!!LOL

and the now infamous hairdryer/train whistle legend.

I missed this one. Inform.

Hmmm, im going to dig it up my bad memory. Beside Primo's sample hunt, Easy Moe Bee's infamous stabs was also a big mystery that people wanted to unveil. Most arguably, it's the Craig Mack's Flavor in Ya Ear single that was keeping heads ringin'. Two things was in stake : the guitar stab and the weird noise/signal in the intro of the same song. I don't really remember the outcome for the stab, but i think it never was unveiled. Maybe i'm wrong about that...But for the noise, i clearly remember. Somebody as asking for the Flava In Ya Ear sample. One dude came and said "yo, i know it samples a hairdryer" (sic!). Some people then asked if "Night of the living Baseheads" also contained a "hairdryer sample" (sic!sic!). The word was out, at that time, that Moe could have sampled a train noise, subway-type, and use the SP12 to obtain that quality of sound. That was until Easy Moe Bee did an ITW and revealed that he effectively sampled a hairdryer.
    But people like myself, who already was into production, we knew something was wrong. First because i never found the itw here he said "thats some hairdryer shit". Nobody did actually. Then because i know what you can do SFX and that noise wasn't SFX in my headphone. Then came the REAL Easy Moe Bee and a journalist asked him about the Craig Mack's beat and here's his answer :
    Describe the mixing process for the smash hit "Flavor In Your Ear" by Craig Mack. What did you do in the studio that you couldn't do at home?

We used some reverb on the drums. The drums are gated real tight in the mix. People don't know that the siren sound in the record was a music sample. We remove most of the music in the siren with EQ. "Flavor In Your Ear" was inspired from Craig G's "Dropping Science" produced by Marley Marl. I wanted to do a record like that.

• It' funny that some dudes HAVE to know where EVERY single noise in these songs come from. Are they going to buy a shitty record that contains a half second BEEP or BLIP just cause _____ used it?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    It' funny that some dudes HAVE to know where EVERY single noise in these songs come from. Are they going to buy a shitty record that contains a half second BEEP or BLIP just cause _____ used it?

Hey???as long as they're looking for those records, there's less people looking for the records we want, right?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    It' funny that some dudes HAVE to know where EVERY single noise in these songs come from. Are they going to buy a shitty record that contains a half second BEEP or BLIP just cause _____ used it?

I know a dude who holds on to Dark Side of the Moon for the "Me or the Papes" intro. "Yo you got this change break?"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I know a dude who holds on to Dark Side of the Moon for when he buys mushrooms

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

I know a dude who holds on to Dark Side of the Moon for the "Me or the Papes" intro. "Yo you got this change break?"

I know. "Flava" is a particularly weird one. Would it really be that enlightening to know what record that stab is from and hear it in its original context? Or the note Primo used for "Unbelievable?"

I'm always down to hear the original version of an interesting loop or chopped-up sample, but a search for one note seems to be not worth the trouble.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I'm always down to hear the original version of an interesting loop or chopped-up sample, but a search for one note seems to be not worth the trouble.

All in the game.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

All in the game.

Dark Side of the Moon guy also hipped me to the Aint No Half Stepping horn stab. Oh and the Slum Village Player sample which was actually one of the more impressive spottings.

All in the game.

I guess, but that better be one compelling-ass, life-affecting note. naahmean? If that's your bag, then more power. The Flava note doesn't qualify for me. It's a hot beat whether it's a sample or a keyboard. I'm happy to let someone else find it and let me know what it is.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I know. "Flava" is a particularly weird one. Would it really be that enlightening to know what record that stab is from and hear it in its original context? Or the note Primo used for "Unbelievable?"

i though it was lou donaldson

• I know. "Flava" is a particularly weird one. Would it really be that enlightening to know what record that stab is from and hear it in its original context? Or the note Primo used for "Unbelievable?"

I myself like looking for samples, I've been playing the "Spot The Sample" game for years but that's my own thing. Through that, it would lead to finding sounds for my own work, and it just becomes a part of what you do when you look for records, or at least it's an *optional* thing. I'm sure there's someone right now wondering what the "step up" sample is in 2Pac's "I Get Around", and everyone is saying "it's a record about a three ring circus in Missouri", so the hunt is on for every circus records made in or around Missouri.

Do I specifically hunt down a record to listen for a certain echo chamber that was sampled in "Flava In Your Ear"? No, but I'd probably turn around and try to mix one of my samples to give it a similar feel, by hunting down various plug-ins.

It's no different than someone wanting to know about Thurston Moore's "alternate tunings", or what amp Jimmy Page played on, what carpet Hendrix had below his feet during the making of Electric Ladyland[/b], or any amount of useless facts that can be found. It doesn't add anything to the final song except an awareness of what elements were used to create it. I personally enjoy knowing that, so if I never do an article or a book project and I'm interviewing someone, I can say "so... you were actually banging on a shoyu can for the snare?" Boom, then every other producer is going to Google the word shoyu and the hunt will be on for the right can with the right logo with the right amount of soy sauce residue. Meanwhile in Japan, Muro will be laughing his ass off because he already has 7LP's of shoyu beats he and Krush made back in the Michiru Akiyoshi days.

I myself like looking for samples, I've been playing the "Spot The Sample" game for years but that's my own thing. Through that, it would lead to finding sounds for my own work, and it just becomes a part of what you do when you look for records, or at least it's an *optional* thing. I'm sure there's someone right now wondering what the "step up" sample is in 2Pac's "I Get Around", and everyone is saying "it's a record about a three ring circus in Missouri", so the hunt is on for every circus records made in or around Missouri.

Do I specifically hunt down a record to listen for a certain echo chamber that was sampled in "Flava In Your Ear"? No, but I'd probably turn around and try to mix one of my samples to give it a similar feel, by hunting down various plug-ins.

It's no different than someone wanting to know about Thurston Moore's "alternate tunings", or what amp Jimmy Page played on, what carpet Hendrix had below his feet during the making of Electric Ladyland[/b], or any amount of useless facts that can be found. It doesn't add anything to the final song except an awareness of what elements were used to create it. I personally enjoy knowing that, so if I never do an article or a book project and I'm interviewing someone, I can say "so... you were actually banging on a shoyu can for the snare?" Boom, then every other producer is going to Google the word shoyu and the hunt will be on for the right can with the right logo with the right amount of soy sauce residue. Meanwhile in Japan, Muro will be laughing his ass off because he already has 7LP's of shoyu beats he and Krush made back in the Michiru Akiyoshi days.

Of course, I'm always interested seemingly "useless" musical knowledge whether it involves samples or guitar amps or mixing boards, it's just that looking for the source of a one-note sample like "Flava in ya ear" is way more hardcore than I've ever been or will be. I don't want to sound like I'm hating on the game. No one likes a bout of "name that tune" more than me. My level of sample-spotting is loops, drum breaks, and chopped samples. If you're level involves digging down to individual sampled notes, then cool. Please do your thing. Sampling is an artform that can always use more historical research by dedicated heads.

• Why are we always discusting if its necessary to know a sample source or not.

If someone asks for it he wants to know it, that should be reason enough.

There is no need for arguing if the question is relevant or not, I bet there a things which are relevant to you that I give a fuck about, but there is no need for me to comment on that.

Do your shit, I do mine !!!

Now to the facts:

Easy Mo Bee Hairdryer story is bullshit, yes, I read this interview too where he said they removed music through EQing.

But we have to ask ourself WHAT is HE talking about ??? He says something about sirens. The interesting sounds of "Flava in ya ear" are the horn like sounds which make up the simple two tone melodie.

If I pitch those sounds up it reminds me on a guitar sound, for an horn sound the attack is to hard.

flava in ya ears horns.mp3 - 0.44MB

And these sounds dont sound like there is music EQed away.

I think Easy Mo Bee was talking about the scream like pad sound which was thrown all over the chorus.

And if I listen to that sound it sounds defenitley like there are some istruments which where EQed away:

flava in ya ears siren-scream.mp3 - 0.26MB

By the way, I still dont know where the snare is coming from.

flava in ya ears snares.mp3 - 0.18MB

So "Unbelivable" is pretty interesting too. "Shook Ones" is allright to know where the pad violin sound is from, but where the hell is this piano loop from which is the main part of the song ???

But right now I'm most curious about the Ultramagnetic MCs drums of the tune called

Peace
    Hawkeye

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

i'm tellin ya, its the guitar from lou donaldson "whos making love" pitched, eq'd, etc..
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/57528635bcdcd5/

• the hair dryer story came about because moe bee said it in a few interviews..this is the first i've seen saying it's a sample..

anyways........I thought Unbelievable was Patrice Rushen?

while we're here.. my two sample wants.. Akinyele - The Bomb..any sample..

and the bass on Double XX Posse - Not Gonna Be Able To Do It.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Why are we always discusting if its necessary to know a sample source or not.

If someone asks for it he wants to know it, that should be reason enough.

There is no need for arguing if the question is relevant or not, I bet there a things which are relevant to you that I give a fuck about, but there is no need for me to comment on that.

You must realize by now that any successful thread on
    SS comes with a thread-within-a-thread about the relevancy
    of the thread itself, any possible race angle, and whether
    the original poster's heart pumps blood or Kool-Aid.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Bsides, I just wanted to thank you for making my day with your avatar:

BAUSSSS, THAT'S RICKY ROSSS....