$100 if I name the sample to Nas is Like

Comments

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Shook Ones is unveiled...or i cant see which part is still mysterious to you.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    so I may not have read every word of this thread but Quincy Jones, Daly Big Turd and ???? c'mon... I've been on this board since 87. It's the least you can do.

Ron Grainer.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've been on this board since 87.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Bsides, I just wanted to thank you for making my day with your avatar:

BAUSSSS, THAT'S RICKY ROSSS....

lol thanks.

some kid on allhiphop.com did a whole series of rapper pokemon cards, it was genius. It went over most peoples heads there too.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I've been on this board since 87.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    the hair dryer story came about because moe bee said it in a few interviews..this is the first i've seen saying it's a sample..

anyways........I thought Unbelievable was Patrice Rushen?

while we're here.. my two sample wants.. Akinyele - The Bomb..any sample..

and the bass on Double XX Posse - Not Gonna Be Able To Do It.

Akinyele "The Bomb" is Lablanc & Carr a $1 rock record. I though the birds in the nas is like was part of the drums from the Myrth record? I'm just going by memory here. I also could have sworn I heard the nas is like sample on the Marc Hannibal record. Not the Royce shit I know that's on it for sure.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    can someone post a snippet of the "To Sir with Love" joint? And in the next 13 minutes cuz at 5 I am flying out the door. Thanks!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

I know a dude who holds on to Dark Side of the Moon for when he buys mushrooms

i got a rock head mate that swears if you play that record in synch with the start of Wizard of Oz it is the perfect soundtrack...that PF actually scored and wrote that album to acommpany the movie....

I have never been high enough to try it..... :-)

• I know a dude who holds on to Dark Side of the Moon for when he buys mushrooms

i got a rock head mate that swears if you play that record in synch with the start of Wizard of Oz it is the perfect soundtrack...that PF actually scored and wrote that album to acommpany the movie....

Every stoned teenager in the US has aleady tried this.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Next up: Trying to figure out which album synchs up with Star Wars

• the hair dryer story came about because moe bee said it in a few interviews..this is the first i've seen saying it's a sample..

and the bass on Double XX Posse - Not Gonna Be Able To Do It.

Akinyele "The Bomb" is Lablanc & Carr a $1 rock record. I though the birds in the nas is like was part of the drums from the Myrth record? I'm just going by memory here. I also could have sworn I heard the nas is like sample on the Marc Hannibal record. Not the Royce shit I know that's on it for sure.

thanks dee rock! you'd be surprised how long that took to find out. Now i just gotta hear it.

anyways..

the bird part of nas is like is Don Robertson - Why.

and tge marc hannibal was internet rumor not true.

• Ask SOULMAN

It's on one of his "World Of Beats" tapes

Either Vol.1 or Vol.2

I've got both,but forgot which one it was

If Phil wanted to spill it, he would have done it already...

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    If Phil wanted to spill it, he would have done it already...

Phill learned his lesson about telling folks secrets around here when he told the story of the Tom Scott "Today" sample that Extra P hooked for Pete & CL.

• so what was the latest sample you heard pop out at you when listening to records? last one for me was for g depp "head over wheels"

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    so what was the latest sample you heard pop out at you when listening to records? last one for me was for g depp "head over wheels"

Sesame Street vocal sample of Bob McGrath saying "I've got a song to sing..." used by Brand Nubian for "Step To The Rear."

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

I personally think its a load of shit..... urban myth....

so have you tried it? does it work?

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    man its sounds like some grady tate record

• I know a dude who holds on to Dark Side of the Moon for when he buys mushrooms

I personally think its a load of shit..... urban myth....

so have you tried it? does it work?

It is an urban myth, obviously someone was high, played them together and said "holy shit". The songs were not recorded in the sequence as heard on the album, and "The Great Gig In The Sky" was originally titled "The Mortality Sequence". Does it work, though? At times yes.

I think it's nothing more than their music being "cinematic" to some, and the fact that a younger generation wishes to hear the music with visuals when the only ones available were the films shown behind them when they played the album. I know people were trying to see if Ummagumma[/b] and Gigi[/b] synched up, just because the Gigi[/b] cover was in the Ummagumma[/b] cover shot.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    So are these serious sample spotter types spending significant amounts of time just combing through song after song listening for certain stabz and loopz? If they could get paid to do it, would they choose it as a career?

I can understand spotting a sample in the course of one's normal listening and making mental note of it, but devoting valuable time to uncovering the source of a six second sample amongst music in which one is not particularly interested seems awfully unfulfilling.

Me, i think it was "The Illest", produced by alc...A Mobb/Havoc track he did for one of his project (1st Infantry i think).

• the hair dryer story came about because moe bee said it in a few interviews..this is the first i've seen saying it's a sample..

I thought it was Rick James "Mary Jane" filtered. Their is a guitar stab in their that sounds like mary jane too.

Thing is, those type of people didn't exist back then. If you are like me, you always used to spot samples and such courtesy of the long everlasting diggin sessions required when you make beats. Either you was spotting a sample while browsing with the needle, or you was using a sample that would be later use by another producer that released it before you. Ain't nothing wrong with that. But people, most notably the-breaks, started a generation of fools looking for what primo used in EACH song just to spice up their life. I guess they dont like the listener status. They want to do more than listening, they want to participate. Problem is spotting a sample is NOT a friendly game of baseball. First, for all the politricking behind clearance...
    Second, hunting down samples for the sake of it is MEANINGLESS. But if you DJ, produce, collect records or such, it can make sense.
    Don't get me wrong, i don't blame curiosity for being a negative thing. But usually, when people want to know some things, there's reason to it. Hence, pricing, or suing, or simply shining on a board...The crate list was good tho'. Only good people...

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    Thing is, those type of people didn't exist back then. If you are like me, you always used to spot samples and such courtesy of the long everlasting diggin sessions required when you make beats. Either you was spotting a sample while browsing with the needle, or you was using a sample that would be later use by another producer that released it before you. Ain't nothing wrong with that. But people, most notably the-breaks, started a generation of fools looking for what primo used in EACH song just to spice up their life. I guess they dont like the listener status. They want to do more than listening, they want to participate. Problem is spotting a sample is NOT a friendly game of baseball. First, for all the politricking behind clearance...
    Second, hunting down samples for the sake of it is MEANINGLESS. But if you DJ, produce, collect records or such, it can make sense.
    Don't get me wrong, i don't blame curiosity for being a negative thing. But usually, when people want to know some things, there's reason to it. Hence, pricing, or suing, or simply shining on a board...The crate list was good tho'. Only good people...

agreed homie but its all record knowledge and i wonder how many people(legal) types get on here to find breaks.... hmmm
    whats wrong with a good shine ... i dont play no secret squrrelle shit!!!

• so what was the latest sample you heard pop out at you when listening to records? last one for me was for g depp "head over wheels"

actually about an hour ago i was "listening" to the tv for a minute while burning a dvd and saw part of some will.i.am. video about his mama or something, and i was like "i know that guitar sample! wtf!" finally it hit me, "Don Quichotte" by Magazine 60, a very odd early 80's 45 i had randomly bought in a lot a while back and put on a comp for car listening. so yeah.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    so what was the latest sample you heard pop out at you when listening to records? last one for me was for g depp "head over wheels"

I love that shit. Care to share the source?

• last one I spotted was the barking dogs RZA used in the Ghost Dog movie instrumentals

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

I love that shit. Care to share the source?

Also, does anyone have that G Depp track in a good quality mp3 maybe? I've been looking for that for a while now...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I thought the Mobb Deep came up on the old Crates list as Vic Juris - Horizon Drive?