Darondo Live in SF

pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
http://www.sfstation.com/darondo-e202521Date and TimeWed Dec 19 (8pm)LocationRickshaw Stop155 Fell StreetSan Francisco, CA 94102 mapcross street: Van Nessdistrict: Civic CenterDescriptionDarondo has his first show in decades at the Rickshaw Stop on December 19. A mystery to most, Darondo records are high on the wants-lists of many collectors. He is spoken about in hushed-tones by other Bay Area musicians. He opened-up for James Brown and lived a colorful lifestyle hanging with folks like the notorious Fillmore Slim. Releasing three singles in the early 1970s (as Darondo, Darondo Pulliam, or the miss-spelled Dorando) he mixed low-rider soul with blues and r'n'b.Opening up for Darondo will be Nino Moschella, Wallpaper, plus DJ's TBA
So who's going? I wanna hear details!

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I'll be there. I don't think any SF heads can afford to voluntarily miss this.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    should be fun... im playing a set of local soul and funk music with my pal dave gabriner before the live stuff begins. we are in no way djs just selectors so please dont throw things at me for missing the beat. plus my reaction time has slowed down quite a bit in my older years and im not as agile as i once was...

so please come out and enjoy what should be a good show and/or come heckle me while i stand on stage and make a fool of myself. im usually good for a laugh or two at my own expense.

see yall on wednesday...

• come heckle me while i stand on stage and make a fool of myself.

Shall I bring Derrick D for that express purpose?

• come heckle me while i stand on stage and make a fool of myself.

Shall I bring Derrick D for that express purpose?

I'll be there with a crew from the East Bay. If your beat juggling isn't on point you're going to catch hell from us Justin.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I really really wish I could make it.

• Should be good.DON'T MISS!

• i'm there

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Any plans to play LA?

• I'll be in la casa, too.

• I am rolling through with the girl. Looking forward to the strutterfest!

• I'm sick and lost my voice so I can't go. I know there is a no refund policy on advanced tickets, but I'm wondering if any sf strutters' ladyfriend can go up to the door and say they are me? Maybe PM me and I can forward the email confirmation? I'd hate for this to go to waste and I don't think the Rickshaw is so uptight that they ask for the ID for willcall

• If I lived in SF, there wouldn't be a single thing that would keep me from seeing this show. Please, please, please somebody post movies/sound/photos...whatever.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I too am sick and have lost my voice but I'm going!

Advice, anyone think I should get advanced tickets for this or do you think there will be enough at the door?

• I too am sick and have lost my voice but I'm going!

OH YEAH? WELL I'M LIGHTHEADED TOO

seriously though what the hell is this cold. when my friend got it, she sounded like a phone sex operator. i get it and i sound like lucille ball swallowed a bullfrog

I too am sick and have lost my voice but I'm going!

seriously though what the hell is this cold. when my friend got it, she sounded like a phone sex operator. i get it and i sound like lucille ball swallowed a bullfrog

I got it from my girlfriend. She had it for days and now I got it and now I can't kick it. I'm still going to work too and let me tell you teaching is not the same when you can't yell at kids.

• I too am sick and have lost my voice but I'm going!

seriously though what the hell is this cold. when my friend got it, she sounded like a phone sex operator.

SHE GOT A MYSPACE YO!

• Anyone need any extra ticket?

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I would be going if I didn't have to be at the airport at 4:30am

• Damn, I thought this was about Durango

I was not disappointed. I can't believe he hasn't performed in 25 years, he owned the stage. I'm definitely willing to overlook the shortcomings of the venue. Shouts to strutters I saw and know by sight, jinx, coolchris, rosshoggyhogg, and kidinquisitive.

• Yeah, it was really impressive. Did you stick around for the encore of Legs? Incredible.

• And--not to put my man on blast--but now I know how Jinx found him...

They have the same dentist!

I really enjoyed Darondo--dollardollarbinyall is speaking truth when he says he owned the stage--but Nino Moschella almost ruined the entire show for me. If the soundman had just cut off his mic, the night would've been much better.

• WE WANT S!

If the soundman had just cut off his mic, the night would've been much better.

Ha ha, so true, so true.

Unfortunately we bailed before the Legs encore, I wasn't sure how many songs from the backing band I was willing to sit through and it was a school night.

All I have are incredibly bad phonecam images:

There were people there with far nicer cameras than mine taking pics and video, hopefully they will appear on the net soon.

• I didn't think Nino was all that bad. It probably was in bad taste to have Darondo do 5 or 6 songs, then he disappears and the band plays like three or four really long songs and then Darondo comes out again. I'm sure more people would have stayed if they knew he would reappear. But I thought Nino and his group did a capable job backing him. The first opening act, Wallpaper, seriously needs to eat a dick though. That was god awful. Wish they had just let Justin and David play more 45s or something.

• I didn't think Nino was all that bad.

Well, you were standing right in front of me, so I know we weren't at different shows, but....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I didn't think Nino was all that bad.

Well, you were standing right in front of me, so I know we weren't at different shows, but....

Fuck all this. When's the LA show?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    X 1,000

• I'll ride for Nino. I think it was because of Nino's band that Darondo sounded so good. Often, older artists that haven't performed in a long time get stuck with shitty bands that have just been thrown together for the occasion. It seemed to me Darondo and Nino's band had practiced at some point. At least they had queues that they seemed to be following. Besides Nino's band has chemistry between themselves. The rhythm section was definitely laying it down all night. Darondo was bad ass, but if he had had a lousy band he wouldn't have been so hot despite how talented the man is.

With that said, Nino and the percussionist didn't have to throw in the numerous "You tell it D," comments although I think they were just excited and having a good time.

I'm bummed that I missed Justin spin, but from what I've heard, I'm glad I missed the opening act.