Darondo Live in SF

2»

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    glad those of you who could make it out had a good time. right after darondo left the stage i went to go and talk to him and he had a blast. said he felt like it was the twilight zone. after 30yrs of not talking about his music, not playing his music, not hearing or owning his records, it was great to see a nice size crowd of people enjoying the tunes. really, three years ago d didnt even remember what his records looked like let alone how they sounded and now here he is performing live in front of an audience that knew his tunes and enjoyed the show.

wallpaper, i thought, had two really good songs. the bobbycaldwell and the bbd. chris said it best when he talked about the bands downhill performance after the bc. really though, their version of Poison was dope and the drummer killed it.

i dont know much about johnny venettuti(?) or what he was playing but not one person said they liked him. nice enough fellow though.

personally i liked nino. i thought they were good enough musicians and were quite funky. the stuff i heard from them online does no justice to their live act.

plus just to let yall know, darondo cant hit those notes like he once could and thats why nino kept pitching in. the only real thing that threw me musically were the horns played during the tunes that didnt need a horn section. other than that darondo was off the hook. dancing, flirting with ladies, and just enjoying playing to a crowd was more than i can ask for.

really, thanks again to all those that came out and supported. there might possibly be a valentine show so be on the lookout for that....

when the wife gets home with the camera ill try and figure out how to post video.

• I think it was because of Nino's band that Darondo sounded so good.

I agree with that--the band was both tight and talented. I guess I wasn't being specific enough earlier, but what I was bothered by was:

With that said, Nino and the percussionist didn't have to throw in the numerous "You tell it D," comments

Along with, "I hope y'all motherfuckers were taking notes on that shit" and numerous other annoying comments. It just felt like he refused to stay in his lane. You are not the star tonight--Darondo is. Would it have been too much to just let the man shine after 25 fucking years?

But to hell with me: big up JUSTIN once again for making all this a possibility. Thanks, Homie.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Yeah, Ross pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly. And let me reiterate that the quality of the band was excellent, they did a superb job for Darondo and all present, I could have done without some of the flourishes. Now that I think about it, I probably would have been pretty geeked if I was up there myself and I certainly wouldn't keep absolute cool. And thanks again to Jinx for everything he's done for this.

• Yeah, it was really impressive. Did you stick around for the encore of Legs? Incredible.

damn. I figured after 4-5 songs by themselves Darondo was done for the night.

He didn't do "Didn't I" later did he? Please dont tell me I missed that...

• Yeah, it was really impressive. Did you stick around for the encore of Legs? Incredible.

I thought he did "Didn't I" for like his 2nd song

I thought he did "Didn't I" for like his 2nd song

Correct. Other highlights: fantastic performance of "Let My People Go" that neatly segued into a cover of "It's Your Thing"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ya'll are killing me. I'll be up in the Bay NEXT week but of course, one week too late.