Lakai's Fully Flared (skateboarding related)

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
i know its a big thing to claim. but this video is arguably the best skate DVD i have ever seen!!!i don't really have anything else to sayMarc Johnson, Eric Koston, Mike Carroll, Rick Howard. Cairo Foster just to name a fewit's like a glorified Girl teambut yea. SEE THIS MOVIE!!!

Comments

• i caught it on google video when it first dropped but i plan on buying it when i get a chance. favorite parts were Marc Johnson , Carroll, Mike Mo, Koston (big surprise there). the french connection, Rickk, Biebel and Cairo were up there too. the whole girl/chocolate/lakai/royal/fourstar family is a beast. i can't think of one disappointing video any of those companies have put out.

how's the bonus features?

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    i too saw the video posted up at the skate shop the other day...crazy insane.

• Best since the Girl video. No surprise, really.

• Yeah, i've been hearing non stop about it. Sounds great.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    damn, i miss skate tapes. maybe i should check this out.

• damn, i miss skate tapes. maybe i should check this out.

It will definitely get you out there kickflipping if you're not already.

• Watched a bit of Marc Johnson's section. Was that a 50-50 to backfoot kickflip (the shot where you see him through a shopping carriage)? Ridiculous. It's 1993 again but much much better.

• Yeah, I caught the google video and it's pretty amazing. From the start you know you're not dealing with a typical video. MJ and Rick Howard kill it along with Koston and Mike Mo is a freak. Plus any Mariano footage is always good.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Yeah, i've been hearing non stop about it. Sounds great.

yea it kind of just dropped. i was hearing about it and i am like "everyone hypes skate vids up and theyre usually all the same"

but this is like some sort of demon DVD

and its like an hour and a half

haha

• Yeah, i've been hearing non stop about it. Sounds great.

yea it kind of just dropped. i was hearing about it and i am like "everyone hypes skate vids up and theyre usually all the same"

but this is like some sort of demon DVD

and its like an hour and a half

haha

yeah tons of sites are gas'n it up.

i'm gonna have to cop this.

• this video is arguably the best skate DVD i have ever seen

that is really hard to argue against... i can't even watch anything else right now

Marc Johnson

NC STAND UP!!!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Just caught the first 15 minutes or so on Google.
    Super killer to say the least.
    Definitely has the same vibe as Yeah Right, which IMO
    was the best skate vid ever.
    Can't wait to see it for real, not the crap ass internet quality clip I just watched.

• this video is arguably the best skate DVD i have ever seen

after watching it again on the bus and sittin at home today, i realized that this is probably a true statement. it's the first video since Yeah, Right that has actually motivated me to get off my ass and go skate. too bad minnesota's got 5" of snow right now. great timing.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Can anyone tell me what the song is in the background here?

• anyone know the tracklist of the whole video?
    the movie is great, i like the first part+
    m carolls part, bs smith imposibble??

• Intro + M83 - "Lower Your Eyelids to Die With the Sun"
    Mike Mo + Arcade Fire - "No Cars Go"
    Popps + Bad Brains - "Don't Bother Me"
    Jesus + Calexico - "Alone Again Or"
    Royal Family + The Charlatans - "The Only One I Know"
    French Connection + David Bowie - "I Wish You Would"; Mannie Fresh - "Real Big"
    Cairo + Flaming Lips - "The W.A.N.D."
    Welsh/Johnston/Lenoce + The D.O.C. - "Lend Me An Ear"
    Olson + King Diamond - "One Down Two To Go"
    Rick + Echo and the Bunnymen - "The Cutter"
    Carroll + Judas Priest - "Riding On The Wind"; Three 6 Mafia - "Triple 6 Club House"
    Biebel + Young Jeezy - "I Luv It"
    Koston + Public Enemy - "Night Of The Living Baseheads"; "Harder Than You Think"
    Guy + Band of Horses - "The Funeral"; "Is There A Ghost"
    MJ + Q Lazzarus - "Goodbye Horses"; Fischerspooner - "All We Are"; She Wants Revenge - "Us"
    Credits + LCD Soundsystem - "These Are Your Friends"

This isn't really my kind of video, but you gotta respect the game.
    Lots of tricks that from anyone else would be nothing but dork tricks.
    Best vid of all time? No way.
    I'll take Eastern Exposure 3, Questionable, or Video Days any day of the week.

Favorite parts were Alex Olson, Cairo Foster, and Pops.
    Guy's part was the best in the video by far but the music killed it for me.
    Koston skating to Public Enemy kinda ruled.

Seemed like what I saw had, technical stuff, big stuff, and inventive lines on interesting terrain.
    What's not to like?
    I don't get the "dork tricks" comment at all.

"

Best vid of all time? No way.
    I'll take Eastern Exposure 3, Questionable, or Video Days any day of the week.

i dont get the dork tricks comment either. do you want some big airs or something??

i can hear you that maybe vids like Eastern Exposure...Welcome to Hell...etc have that classic feel to em. but there is not one person who can say the tricks aren't beyond the word progression for the sport.

this is one of those things that makes everyone question what they're doing and pushes it to the next level....

this is one of those things that makes everyone question what they're doing and pushes it to the next level....

EXACTLY!

• i understand that - it's like Questionable was at the time.
    a lot of companies that focus on the more technical side of skating
    are sitting on some useless footage right now.

A lot of these tricks aren't new, they just haven't been done
    in a way that looked stylish before-
    or lots of these tricks were done 10+ years ago in Pack Of Lies,
    except they were only done on a curb.
    Some of the shit these dudes pulled-
    shit like switch nollieflip to crooks to hurricane out-
    that's a dork trick, that's some busted Rodney Mullen or The Storm-type shit.
    Maybe Mike Carroll can make it look good, but a whole lot of other dudes
    are gonna make me vomit trying to do that shit.

Pops part typified the kind of skating I enjoy-
    I like seeing some raw East Coast footage on some fucked-up terrain
    with dudes skating a thousand miles an hour, ollieing on to parked cars and shit.
    Check out the Traffic video to see what I mean,
    or some of the dudes in the new Habitat video.
    THAT shit gets me hyped to skate, not Tony Hawk Pro Skater 7 "combos".

• There's some amazing skating in here. No debating that. My only beefs would be:

an hour and a half for a skate video is the equivalent of a rap double cd. Even if it's got good stuff, it's too long and gets tiring after awhile. Would be better as two videos or one with lots of extras on the dvd.

they film way too close these days.

I don't think some of the older dudes styles translate as well with the super fast/big stuff they're doing. Not that they aren't still killing it, but Koston, Carroll, and Howard all seemed to be lacking in their trademark styles. It's like they're kind of lacking the finesse they once had. I'm mostly talking about Rick howard, but Carroll and Koston didn't look quite as cool as I once thought of them. I'm not trying to start any beefs or wars with this. I just mean that these guys were not only the best when it came to content (their tricks), but their delivery (style) was what made them stand out. I'm feeling like some of that style is gone with this faster/bigger stuff.

That said, there are some next level tricks in here, especially all the grinds to big spins, grinds to manual combos, etc.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Just started watching and it starts off like some amazing shit. Thanks for posting. Getting psyched already to start skating more.

with dudes skating a thousand miles an hour, ollieing on to parked cars and shit.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    ^^

There's some amazing skating in here. No debating that. My only beefs would be:

an hour and a half for a skate video is the equivalent of a rap double cd. Even if it's got good stuff, it's too long and gets tiring after awhile. Would be better as two videos or one with lots of extras on the dvd.

they film way too close these days.

I don't think some of the older dudes styles translate as well with the super fast/big stuff they're doing. Not that they aren't still killing it, but Koston, Carroll, and Howard all seemed to be lacking in their trademark styles. It's like they're kind of lacking the finesse they once had. I'm mostly talking about Rick howard, but Carroll and Koston didn't look quite as cool as I once thought of them. I'm not trying to start any beefs or wars with this. I just mean that these guys were not only the best when it came to content (their tricks), but their delivery (style) was what made them stand out. I'm feeling like some of that style is gone with this faster/bigger stuff.

That said, there are some next level tricks in here, especially all the grinds to big spins, grinds to manual combos, etc.

yea

i thought the length was tiresome

but then again the opening credits and ending ones take up like 15 mins...and its more like an hour and 20 mins

so figure an hour of actual skating

Marc Johnson has like 20 mins of footage haha

and the team has alot of people on it so

i still stand by "this is the best video made to date"

did you get my package? (non-post related)

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I always thoguht of dork tricks as tricks that you can't do anywhere except for flat or curbs, Maybe these are nerd tricks because they are more ballsy/on 'real' terrain?

haha, without a doubt!

• BEST.VIDEO.EVER.

• i'll have to check this out. i haven't skated in over 7 years yet it still seems the big names are the same aside from P-Rod. I thought Koston was the best street skater when I was obsessed with the sport.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

EXACTLY!

HOKIS POKIS CHANGED THE GAME!

This is exactly what Matt Hensley's parts in Shackle Me Not, and just about everyone in Hokis Pokis did for me. Also Gonz in Blind Video Days. Same thing happened to me when I watched Brian Lotti's part in Planet Earth. I almost cried. What can I say, I was a child.

However, while this Lakai video is dope, I just don't feel the same way about it. Great video, but I don't feel that strongly about it. Who knows, maybe over time you guys will chill out and feel the same way, or vice versa?