Projects that should be dope but disappoint (YNQ)

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Try as I might, I just can't get into Yesterday's New Quintet. I tend to check every album as its released, but ultimately end up disappointed with the over-compressed, pumping production and sloppy playing.What other projects have you been psyched about that let you down?

Comments

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    I haven't actually heard it, but the Big City project which was Psycho Les, Al' Tariq and Problems. (basically God Connections/OG Beatnuts) Heard it was "meeh" at best. You'd think that it'd be some crazy shit, but the reviews say other wise. Still want to check it out though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    LOL--why "should" some foolishness like madlib's "jazz project" be any good?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Try as I might, I just can't get into Yesterday's New Quintet. I tend to check every album as its released, but ultimately end up disappointed with the over-compressed, pumping production and sloppy playing.

What other projects have you been psyched about that let you down?

sound directions was kinda cool, but other than that, a HUGE

man, the songs have no substance, whole tracks of attempts at soloing with not much form or melody to keep it all together, a lot of the stuff is just a huge mess in my opinion.

• Are you kidding me? These people aren't musicians, so of course their lofty attempts at playing actual music are gonna fail. Even Madlib's production is weaksauce. You guys are just buying into some hype. Trust me dudes, he's a Frickin' hack. I hired him to do a track for me years ago and he handed in some unlistenable bullshit that I could not in good conscience, subject other people to.

The fact that he has even attained a modest amount of accolades is a telltale sign of the decline of the art form.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Are you kidding me? These people aren't musicians, so of course their lofty attempts at playing actual music are gonna fail. Even Madlib's production is weaksauce. You guys are just buying into some hype. Trust me dudes, he's a Frickin' hack. I hired him to do a track for me years ago and he handed in some unlistenable bullshit that I could not in good conscience, subject other people to.

The fact that he has even attained a modest amount of accolades is a telltale sign of the decline of the art form.

Whattup *dr**n - its been a long time...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

What a pretentious load of crap.

Madvillainy, Champion Sound, and both the Quasimoto album simply are what they are...enjoyable listens.

And damn the "art form" if people like you are now the custodians of it.

• The fact that he has even attained a modest amount of accolades is a telltale sign of the decline of the art form.

Madvillany, Champion Sound, and both the Quasimoto album simply are what they are...enjoyable listens.

IMO Madvillainy is a classic joint.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

IMO Madvillainy is a classic joint.

Madlib's got some shit, for sure. I think it's fair to say that the cult fandom that's sprung up around him is not all warranted. By that I mean that once he got some dap, all of a sudden every single beat that came out of his sampler was supposed to be some brilliant, next-level shit. Then he flooded the market with shit and all the backpacker fanboys and hipsters jumped on it.

For every dope beat Madlib's got out, he's got one that shouldn't have made the cut.

• What other projects have you been psyched about that let you down?

cabrini-green

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im a Madlib fan -

I think Madvillain and Jaylib sucks, but i ride for Quasimodo and YNQ.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

For every dope beat Madlib's got out, he's got one at least five[/b] that shouldn't have made the cut.

Dude has never heard the words "quality control" in his life, apparently.

• AGREED! I WAS AMPED TO HEAR YNQ. BUT AFTER LISTENING TO THE MASTERS DO IT, YNQ SOUNDS HORRIBLE. DONT GET ME WRONG. MADLIB IS DOPE. BUT HE NEEDS TO STAY AWAY FROM THE JAZZ WORK.
    OTHER THEN THAT, CAMP LO'S SECOND ALBUM DISSAPOINTED ME. SO BAD I CANT EVEN REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE ALBUM.

Then he flooded the market with shit and all the backpacker fanboys and hipsters jumped on it.

Leaving the holier-than-thou backpacker fanboys and hipsters to their still-daily ritual of listening to "Stunts, Blunts and Hip Hop" like its the first time they've ever heard it.

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    j dilla the shining pretty dissapointing,
    also the ghostface pretty average imo
    ynq of course especially yesterdays universe
    american g. because of the production otherwise this could be nice,
    that new kanye

• The fact that he has even attained a modest amount of accolades is a telltale sign of the decline of the art form.

Madvillainy, Champion Sound, and both the Quasimoto album simply are what they are...enjoyable listens.

You are obviously one of the tone-deaf douchebags who facilitates a paycheck for this clown. Custodian is a perfect term to use since they are known for cleaning up shit.

• I have to agree with the comment about Madlib outputting WAAAAY too much material. Honestly he hasn't dropped much except for a few beats here and there (AG - Frozen being one off the top of my head) that are worth a damn since the Lootpack - Soundpieces era...

Overall i don't think that this is just a Madlib issue but an issue of Stonesthrow in general where they just throw releases out there these days. Way too much mediocre (if that) shit coming fromt that label on a consistent basis. They had waaay to much banked on Dilla. Now it seems like any kind of quality control has gone out the window.

• I have to agree with the comment about Madlib outputting WAAAAY too much material. Honestly he hasn't dropped much except for a few beats here and there (AG - Frozen being one off the top of my head) that are worth a damn since the Lootpack - Soundpieces era...

Overall i don't think that this is just a Madlib issue but an issue of Stonesthrow in general where they just throw releases out there these days. Way too much mediocre (if that) shit coming fromt that label on a consistent basis. They had waaay to much banked on Dilla. Now it seems like any kind of quality control has gone out the window.

Thank You....

For every dope beat Madlib's got out, he's got one at least five[/b] that shouldn't have made the cut.

I knew that someone was going to respond to my post in this exact way. I almost changed it to five, but then I thought, "I'll let the community weigh in."

You are obviously one of the tone-deaf douchebags who facilitates a paycheck for this clown. Custodian is a perfect term to use since they are known for cleaning up shit.

Yeah, we're all holding our breath for a boom-bap rennaissance, where people get so into sampled beats that they wonder why so many others think of Melachi the Nutcracker as a wack excuse for an MC. Surely, it's going to happen tomorrow, or maybe the next day...and definitely it's going to be sparked by disgruntled studio-coffee-fetchers on their way back from getting their tongue hairs waxed.

• Let me add that i will always check a MadLib production only because he is definately capable of bringing heat.

PS. the gremlins are fire.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    LOL--why "should" some foolishness like madlib's "jazz project" be any good?

I'm going to "ignore" your snotty self-righteous tone and "move on"...

I generally like a good number of Madlib's productions, although I'll be first to agree with the common sentiment in this thread and say he needs to practice more quality control.

I had high hopes for YNQ not only based on the hype, but on Madlib's background in hip hop and cratedigging. Hell, his father worked with Bobby Bland and Johnnie Taylor so I figured some of that musicianship might have been passed on to the next generation.

Yeah, we're all holding our breath for a boom-bap rennassaince, where people get so into sampled beats that they wonder why so many others think of Melachi the Nutcracker as a wack excuse for an MC. Surely, it's going to happen tomorrow, or maybe the next day...and definitely it's going to be sparked by disgruntled studio-coffee-fetchers on their way back from getting their tongue hairs waxed.

Dunno what all of that horse shit you wrote actually means but I would just like to be impressed by hip hop again. Seems very obvious to MANY people that the road paved by the great ones has been cast aside in favor of what they deem to be the new style. When in fact, it only comes off as a ploy to avoid the dubious task of continuing the tradition of making quality music. They're actually quite fortunate that people are are gullible enough to buy into the one-dimensional stuff they produce. Back in the days, these fools would all be night managers at Burger King.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    holding our breath for a boom-bap rennassaince

This is the one of the greatest diseases in the game.

Yeah, we're all holding our breath for a boom-bap rennassaince, where people get so into sampled beats that they wonder why so many others think of Melachi the Nutcracker as a wack excuse for an MC. Surely, it's going to happen tomorrow, or maybe the next day...and definitely it's going to be sparked by disgruntled studio-coffee-fetchers on their way back from getting their tongue hairs waxed.

Dunno what all of that horse shit you wrote actually means but I would just like to be impressed by hip hop again. Seems very obvious to MANY people that the road paved by the great ones has been cast aside in favor of what they deem to be the new style. When in fact, it only comes off as a ploy to avoid the dubious task of continuing the tradition of making quality music. They're actually quite fortunate that people are are gullible enough to buy into the one-dimensional stuff they produce. Back in the days, these fools would all be night managers at Burger King.

My bet is that you came into hip-hop with that same condescending attitude. You just happened to be impressed for a short while by what you considered to be the exception to the rule.

Again, if you don't like rap music...move the fuck away from it and shut the fuck up about it. It's obviously not for you...and it's definitely not here for the sole purpose of subjecting itself to your piss-ant philosophies.

You talk about Madlib like he's what's what or something. He merely is what he is...and that's basically an obscurity in relation to the 15 other more prominent strains of rap that are popular and hitting today.

Really though, on the flipside of your bitching and moaning...what are you advocating? That you yourself produce any rap song that ever comes out???

The parameters of quality music cannot so perfectly fit into the mere thimble that you have assigned for the task.

But anytime you talk about rap, that is only thing you are capable of doing.

You are a dinosaur that never actually walked the earth....a figment of your own closed-minded imagination.

Now fade away already...

• holding our breath for a boom-bap rennassaince

I agree to a certain extent, but i also think that there is just too much crap being released nowadays (major and indie). I mean take the Beans album for example, everyone at the LABEL says its a shit album, you listen to it and its sounds like shit, so why even put it out? Maybe its not just a Stones throw thing but a music industry issue where there is little to no quality control? dunno.

• Ah! The bi-monthly Madlib thread!

holding our breath for a boom-bap rennassaince

I agree to a certain extent, but i also think that there is just too much crap being released nowadays (major and indie). I mean take the Beans album for example, everyone at the LABEL says its a shit album, you listen to it and its sounds like shit, so why even put it out? Maybe its not just a Stones throw thing but a music industry issue where there is little to no quality control? dunno.

I was just thinking about that. My theory is that in this digital age, any fool can record an album and release it himself. Said fool can also easily start his own "label" and start pressing up mediocre CD's. People like Stones Throw saw that people were actually paying money for these mediocre CD's and said, "Shit, maybe there's a market for the stuff that we had relegated to the No or Maybe pile." and then they started releasing stuff that might not have seen the light of day in earlier times.

I have no idea if this is true. As I said, it's a theory. I worked at an indie record store a couple years ago and I was suprised at what the market was able to bear.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

Has anyone heard the DJ Doc Rok: American Zeppelin Mixtape?
    (American remixed with DangerMouse Style)

Or the new Janet Jackson track perhaps appropriately called Feedback?

I haven't given the LZ thing a proper listen, a couple tracks....but I am not really feeling the Janet Jackson at all. it is not

did Madlib bang your girl or piss in your Cheerios? Damn dude.

I agree with most people here. He's got some great tracks and a shit load of stuff that shouldn't be put out.
    I dug the first couple of Movie Scenes he put out.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I knew that someone was going to respond to my post in this exact way. I almost changed it to five, but then I thought, "I'll let the community weigh in."

Heh, we're nothing if not predictable.