Digging in LA

deanosoundsdeanosounds 181 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody have any special places they like to go digging for records in Los Angeles? I'm taking a trip there in Jan.

Comments

• record surplus is pretty cool. They have a pretty big stock and lots of customers so theres always new shit coming in. Overall though I just moved here 2 years ago so I dont know too many spots.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    may i suggest the la brea tar pits

woolly mammoth raers

• ass crack and noses are some prime locations for diggin'.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    may i suggest the la brea tar pits

• may i suggest the la brea tar pits

i rarely go past fairfax, but the times i have been around here it always smells like poopiepants. like on the 580 right by EBMUD.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    nope, no records in l.a.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    (page me)

• nope, no records in l.a.

weak sauce.

there are spots: record collector on melrose has a lot of heat, but be willing to drop some money there if you want to buy. also, freak beat in the valley, house of records on pico, i've found some cool stuff there. record surplus on pico, bagatelle records ect.

nope, no records in l.a.

weak sauce.

there are spots: record collector on melrose has a lot of heat, but be willing to drop some money there if you want to buy. also, freak beat in the valley, house of records on pico, i've found some cool stuff there. record surplus on pico, bagatelle records ect.

its an old soulstrut inside joke.

but yeah, freakbeat is my favorite spot.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

House of Records has gone, and the dude that runs Record Collector is straight out of the Rich Rosens book of 'How to run your record store like a jackass'.

Record Surplus is always worth a look, but always seems to be an awful lot of employees there getting the cream before the floor.

• nope, no records in l.a.

weak sauce.

there are spots: record collector on melrose has a lot of heat.

HA HA HA HA HAH AH HAH AH HA HA HA HA H AH AH AH HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are spots: record collector on melrose has a lot of meat.

• im just happy to know that people still gripp so bad for records that they would go to sandy to have thier ass burned in pubix. got damn talk about deal.

nope, no records in l.a.

weak sauce.

there are spots: record collector on melrose has a lot of heat.

HA HA HA HA HAH AH HAH AH HA HA HA HA H AH AH AH HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indeed, not sure how i missed that one. Go to record collector, its the best spot in l.a.

Oh, and ap is the record god of l.a. You should just come here so he can laugh at your want list. Its worth it.

• OH. INTERNET BEEF. SANDY SUCK A DONKEY DONG. I HAVE NO MORE RECORDS SO DONT LAUGH. I WILL GIVE YOU BOB JAMES TOUCHDOWN IN VG CONDITION. MY ASS IS BRUND BY SANDY FOR REAL THOUGH. DUDE IS A STRAIGHT CRIMINAL IN THE WORLD OF CLASSICAL ASSBURN. DEAL IT.

• A STRAIGHT CRIMINAL IN THE WORLD OF CLASSICAL ASSBURN.

• Hi Roy.

I know you are lurking this post. Where's my Southbay Mustacheo private rear.

• Hi Roy.

I know you are lurking this post. Where's my Southbay Mustacheo private rear.

pencil moustache? what's 'the plan?'
    also custy melrose record guy will sell you 5 copies of for $20each. Raer pearson pull.

• damn, i was excited to read this thread cause i'm going be in LA in a couple weeks (never been) and i'm looking to do some digging... but i didn't seem to get a lot of good leads, more just some beef just lingering around.

• not sure what that means. all i'm saying is i was hoping for a list of a handful of cool shops.

• Dude, I've been out here for four years and have probably only amassed half a crate of decent shit. This place is picked the fuck over. The records you do manage to dig up, you will have to pay for. Dealers got this shit locked down.

Have a nice time out here... Lots to see... Well, no not really.... Go to Chicago next time... They have a seemingly endless supply of good shit to dig up. New York too. While you may not find any deals, you will find dope records, good folks and endless amounts of good places to eat, chill and culture, culture, culture.... shit, what am I still doing living in this suburban wasteland?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Dude, I've been out here for four years and have probably only amassed half a crate of decent shit. This place is picked the fuck over. The records you do manage to dig up, you will have to pay for. Dealers got this shit locked down.

^^^Nice to see some real talk about LA. Actually there are some dope food spots in LA, along with Museums and Galleries. Lots of nice concerts, bad traffic and worse scarier people. Having spent 5 years there, I love that city though.

If you're just visting, hit up some dealers and Amoeba and a few of the other stores mentioned. Iron Monkey's statements also apply to San Diego

NO, NO RECORDS IN SOCAL

• Dude, I've been out here for four years and have probably only amassed half a crate of decent shit. This place is picked the fuck over. The records you do manage to dig up, you will have to pay for. Dealers got this shit locked down.

Have a nice time out here... Lots to see... Well, no not really.... Go to Chicago next time... They have a seemingly endless supply of good shit to dig up. New York too. While you may not find any deals, you will find dope records, good folks and endless amounts of good places to eat, chill and culture, culture, culture.... shit, what am I still doing living in this suburban wasteland?

figured as much about the picked thru factor, all that aside, any shops you recommend? Or other cool attractions you speak of? Spent plenty of time in Chicago though I've been meaning to get to the NYC for awhile.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Two words: THE PROGRAM???

Two words: THE PROGRAM???

oh, that's right.. I thought it was 'THE PLAN'... forgot.

• you could alway's head up the 5.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Dude, I've been out here for four years and have probably only amassed half a crate of decent shit. This place is picked the fuck over. The records you do manage to dig up, you will have to pay for. Dealers got this shit locked down.

^^^Nice to see some real talk about LA. Actually there are some dope food spots in LA, along with Museums and Galleries. Lots of nice concerts, bad traffic and worse scarier people. Having spent 5 years there, I love that city though.

If you're just visting, hit up some dealers and Amoeba and a few of the other stores mentioned. Iron Monkey's statements also apply to San Diego

NO, NO RECORDS IN SOCAL

I logged about 10 years in that place. What they said.