Digging in LA

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    And there are tons of records here in LA if you have the time to look for them and know where they are at.

Yes, that is exactly the info I'm looking for. Please tell me where they're at. Once I'm close, I'll dig for hours.

• And there are tons of records here in LA if you have the time to look for them and know where they are at.

Yes, that is exactly the info I'm looking for. Please tell me where they're at. Once I'm close, I'll dig for hours.

we charge for that information, we take Cash, Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. No personal checks

• And there are tons of records here in LA if you have the time to look for them and know where they are at.

we charge for that information, we take Cash, Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. No personal checks

I got no qualms with that. You provide legit info and I'll grab the loot.

I got no qualms with that. You provide legit info and I'll grab the loot.

The game is to be sold not told

BUNUS!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    holy shit... a BIZZO GRAEMLIN???

• I'm talking about the first year at Atomic

LLOYD FERGUSON

• I'm talking about the first year at Atomic

LLOYD FERGUSON

DR. LLOYD FERGUSON is damned right!
    I busted through the "wall of fame" like

DR. LLOYD FERGUSON is damned right!
    I busted through the "wall of fame" like

The funny thing is...earlier today, I had been wondering how that graemlin might be deployed.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    reading this makes me happy i live out here
    no, no records in miami though

• I finds what I wants.

• no, no records in miami though

I just grabbed a bunch of sick shit in Miramar.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    reading this makes me happy i live out here

LOL

• Honestly, if you have a lot of time on your hands and a good amount of money to spend, yes, there are definitely records in L.A. I mean if you're able to frequent spots (and I mean frequent, like every other day), you can definitely pull some heat. But be prepared to drop a lot of cash. I find raers all the time that I pass on based on the all-too-high pricing at certain spots...

• I found a bunch of camel 7"s and to my surprise a summit 7" just last week at the surplus. 2 bucks each. Pat Kelly - "Daddy's home" (camel 7") a (second copy) of Winston Francis - "Ten times sweeter" (camel 7') to name a few. Cats on here aren't really into foundation Jamaican sounds i guess and i'm thinking the dudes @ that shop don't know how to price this type stuff? . Bottom line is that it all depends on what you are looking for.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Cats on here aren't really into foundation Jamaican sounds i guess and i'm thinking the dudes @ that shop don't know how to price this type stuff? . Bottom line is that it all depends on what you are looking for.

Yeah, that's a good point, and a general truth of collecting in most cities. If you are lucky enough to be into a genre that's under the radar of most shop owners, you can definitely come up.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I guess mabye theres not alot of records here... i dunno... but it beats the hell out of boston.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Last time I was at Atomic it was a Saturday and there were 2-3 dudes just hanging out to see what might walk in the door or be put out on the shelves.

Was depressing to realize that these dudes CAMP OUT at these places and probably snag everything before regular Joe's get to see 'em.

Then I flipped through a stack and pulled the Nancy Priddy LP for $7.00 and began to wonder just what it was these folks were looking for?? Beatles raer???

I guess mabye theres not alot of records here... i dunno... but it beats the hell out of boston.

You tripping. Boston is awesome.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I think it's fair to say that throughout CA save for a few areas you have to work and hustle real hard to find good records. And just plain get lucky sometimes.

If European dudes want to come have their jollies and buy overpriced common records that the rest of us have seen tons of copies of, they can have fun with that. But no one just strolls into Cali casually and cops that real schitt for cheap.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Portland is NOT Los Angeles.
    There are much better records even there than here.

And for the record, there were much more records here in 89-90. But when you are the closest large metropolitan city with Soul records to JApan, things change. Don't bust our balls, it really does suck compared to the midwest.

Alot of incredible records were made here but many are gone, and if you don't live here you couldn't understand why. We in LA hardly have a building older than 10 or 20 years. When things get old in LA you tear them down, throw them in the trash or get rid of them to the outskirts. There is no room, time or space here to keep something inconsequential to most people laying around. The city is moving too fast.

If you want records head east, where there is space and at least an inkling of nostalgia in people.

Honestly, LA will make you pay.

You are pretty Frickin' awesome. That is all.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

I just grabbed a bunch of sick shit in Miramar.

id be interested in seein what you found
    i used to get salty when cats found records around here but every time i go diggin i always find somethin ive never seen before and i rarely pay more than a dollar

by the way moving is not the funnest thing in the world to do

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Last time I was at Atomic it was a Saturday and there were 2-3 dudes just hanging out to see what might walk in the door or be put out on the shelves.

Was depressing to realize that these dudes CAMP OUT at these places and probably snag everything before regular Joe's get to see 'em.

Then I flipped through a stack and pulled the Nancy Priddy LP for $7.00 and began to wonder just what it was these folks were looking for?? Beatles raer???

Geezus.... s

• LA is hit and miss. Sometimes you can go a couple months without finding anything worthwhile, and sometimes hitting the same shop 2 days in a row can yield some insane stuff. Although I would rather pay a bit more for something than mess with ebay..too many fools with a.) too much money to spend or b.)shady con artists with bad grading, wrong pressings (i.e. reissues), or worst off never sending the lp/or taking 4 months to send.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This thread is funny. Almost everyone I meet in LA got records. If you are looking in the stores you're looking in the WRONG place.

Bring cash, have an open mind, and talk to people.

It's not rocket science.

- spidey

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I used to do the best at Aron's. It shut down just a bit before I left. Too bad.

• Hi Roy.

I know you are lurking this post. Where's my Southbay Mustacheo private rear.

I alphabetized that spot. It was a great diversion from my normal job, and got some decent records for it.

Thes, is Erving still running his spot in Torrance? Talk about clean records. I always enjoyed chatting with him.

I dug digging in L.A. As with any locale, it's hit or miss.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Bottom line is that it all depends on what you are looking for.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

You tripping. Boston is awesome.

maybe if you like jazz records. But no way, ill take l.a. records all day over boston. Plus i heard theres no stores left.

It used to be cool to walk up mass ave and hit like 15 spots though.

• sheesh you guys make it sound like in other towns dudes walk up to you and just give you dope records. i think LA is just like any other place. if u want records you have to actually go out and look for them. anyways, im not mad at what i find down here. plus it gives me a chance to sample all the fine ethnic foods LA and the outerlying areas have to offer.

• i love going out to LA....i always make a point of hitting up the swap meets, which are among the best in the country.

last winter i went to my usual spots and it was kinda dry, but right before leaving i found an old asian lady with 30 crates of hiphop...i plucked about a crates worth of ill shit and went on my way. that was at about ten o'clock,too. honestly, i recommend being out there by 6am.