Records For Rover

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Thought I???d tie together three topics that have been discussed here on SS this week???.Charity, Puppies & Records.I came up with this idea a few years back and actually helped a friend in the Midwest do it with great success.Since I don???t really have the time to do this locally I thought I might as well share it here and maybe a Strutter will put it to good use.It???s called ???Records For Rover??? and it???s a neat way to raise money for your local ASPCA / Humane Society but will require some work at your end and can have great rewards for all.Basically approach your local Animal Shelter and pitch the idea that you would like to organize a Fund Raising Sale and that you will do all the work.All they need to supply is 1) A place to have the sale??????..2) Access to their mailing list or Newsletter??????and 3) Authority to use their ???Non-Profit??? status for donation tax write-off.Then put together a flyer asking people to donate their OLD, OBSOLETE records to a good cause. Also have the Shelter advertise this in their Monthly Newsletter.If they place a call to the phone number on the flyer you will come to their home and pick them up and give them a tax deductible receipt.Set a date 6 months out for the giant ???Records For Rover Charity Sale???.Collect records for a 4 month period and then spend two months organizing the records which will ALL be sold at $2.00- $3.00 a piece.Advertise the sale at all the local Record Stores, Thrift Stores, Craig???s List and again, in the Shelter???s NewsletterThe day of the sale have a few of the Animal Shelters employees help out and donate 100% of the profits to the Shelter.What???s in it for you???Simple, you get first crack at buying whatever records you want for the agreed upon $2.00 - $3.00 price. Fair compensation for all your efforts.

Comments

• Thats a really good idea Rock !

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Charity
    What???s in it for you???

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Charity

Dude....every charitable organization has operating costs and most times a small percentage of the actual donations go to the Charity.....in this case ALL of it goes to the charity and the operating costs amount to you getting to BUY some records.

Charity

Dude....every charitable organization has operating costs and most times a small percentage of the actual donations go to the Charity.....in this case ALL of it goes to the charity and the operating costs amount to you getting to BUY some records.

Dude, I spent a couple years working at a charitable organization, so I'm familiar. What I'm raising an eyebrow at here is not the mechanism, but the tone: Many aspects of this--e.g. hucksterish language like "OLD, OBSOLETE records" (that's kinda some snake oil right there, dude, and I think you probably know it) and the dualistic use of the low set price both as incentive for the public ("records...will ALL be sold at $2.00- $3.00 a piece") and as personal fringe benefit for the organizer ("you get first crack at buying whatever records you want for the agreed upon $2.00 - $3.00 price")--smell pretty strongly of self-service. I'm not saying there's no good at all in this, but, I mean, there's charity, and then there's "charity," you know?

Maybe I'm just reading your pitch wrong, though. I'd like to think so.

Dude, I spent a couple years working at a charitable organization, so I'm familiar.

Just curious....Did you get paid??

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Dude, I spent a couple years working at a charitable organization, so I'm familiar.

I once managed to somehow eeke out an existence on $500/month from a nonprofit (I was later able to live more comfortably from that job but its nothing glamorous to be sure)

If you're trying to make him feel ashamed for getting paid for working at a NPO thats just wrong, Rock (that "just curious" bit is over-the-top BTW)... from my experience its always about trying to figure out how to make enough money to keep the organization going...

I received compensation for my efforts, yeah. And for precisely that reason, even though it was a charitable organization, I wouldn't exactly describe my work there as charity, just like I wouldn't exactly describe the above as charity. I question any conception of charity that includes things like "great rewards for all" "first crack" and "compensation." Of course you're right that those things often figure into the operation of any charitable enterprise, but your plan seems to arrive with the angles pre-worked, which makes it seem a little slimy.

Speaking of curiosity, I'd be curious as to which would be greater: a) The amount that an event like this would raise for its host charity or b) the market value of the records cherry-picked by the organizer for his or her own collection.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    here in Detroit there's a charity records place that is pretty laughable - it's more like 'records for retards' though - you donate your records & they sell them on ebay & pay a couple mentally-challenged folks a low wage to help out - the last time I was over there they had a girl in a motorized wheelchair & backbrace looking up a pile of 45s in the manship book very very slowly.

'records for retards'

You know, whatever you may think of the endeavor, that's a pretty shitty way to put it, dude.

'records for retards'

You know, whatever you may think of the endeavor, that's a pretty shitty way to put it, dude.

the name of their charity is "The Retarded Citizens Council" or someshit!!!

like I said:

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

like I said:

Any chance the name of their charity is the Association for Retarded Citizens? Because that's the leading support organization for folks with developmental disabilities. The national organization changed its name to "The Arc" in 1992 because the term "retarded" had been coopted by mean-spirited folks as an insult for people who acted stupid. But many local affiliates still use the more familiar Association for Retarded Citizens moniker.

History of Names and Logos for The Arc.

As dude said on the office, "I don't call retarded people retarded. I call my friends retards when they are acting retarded."

Charitably,
    JRoot

'records for retards'

like I said:

So? I'm sure you're familiar with the NAACP, but I doubt you're running around talking about "coloreds."

oh please.

get off your Frickin' high horse.

I received compensation for my efforts, yeah. And for precisely that reason, even though it was a charitable organization, I wouldn't exactly describe my work there as charity, just like I wouldn't exactly describe the above as charity. I question any conception of charity that includes things like "great rewards for all" "first crack" and "compensation." Of course you're right that those things often figure into the operation of any charitable enterprise, but your plan seems to arrive with the angles pre-worked, which makes it seem a little slimy.

Speaking of curiosity, I'd be curious as to which would be greater: a) The amount that an event like this would raise for its host charity or b) the market value of the records cherry-picked by the organizer for his or her own collection.

In my scenario an individual can start a Charity Drive and raise money for a non-profit organization by asking people to donate their old and obsolete(and what I mean by this is...."old and no longer being used") records and in return get a tax write off for 40 TIMES MORE $$ THAT WHAT THE LOCAL HALF PRICE BOOKS WOULD PAY THEM[/b]. The charity would receive 100% OF THE MONEY COLLECTED[/b] and no one other than the charity would put one penny in their pockets. And the compensation for all the efforts of the person who orgainizes it and does the work will be to be able to buy some good records for themselves. And if this isn't charitable enough, they would ALSO have the option of taking those records and either 1) paying more for them than the $2.00-$3.00 a piece OR 2) Selling them on Ebay and donating THAT money to the charity as well.(This would be the equivilent of you working at your "Charitable Organization" without pay)

In your scenario your "Charitable Organization" asks people to donate money of which a percentage off the top would immediately go into your and your co-workers pockets and if it was like most "Charitable Organizations" less than 50% of the donations actually make it to the charity.

Yet somehow you feel that MY suggestion is suspect.

I call bullshit, but I have been accused here of having a malady called "Rock-A-Logic" so it's very possible most strutters agree with you.

And to answer your last question, the only person I know who actually did this raised $4,000+ for the Humane Society and got 3 KILLER garage 45's for his trouble.

your scenario

I'm confused: What is my scenario, exactly? I was unaware I'd proposed one.

(Also, part of the reason I looked at this thread is that I'm generally interested in what you have to say around here, so please cool it with the embattled everybody-hates-me shit.)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    your scenario

(Also, part of the reason I looked at this thread is that I'm generally interested in what you have to say around here, so please cool it with the embattled everybody-hates-me shit.)

I am mystified as to how anybody could be both "generally interested" in what Rockadelic has to say and yet less than enthusistic about embattled everybody-hates-me routines.

your scenario

I am mystified as to how anybody could be both "generally interested" in what Rockadelic has to say and yet less than enthusistic about embattled everybody-hates-me routines.

I'm mystified how a guy who passes his time on ebay making snide remarks and insulting one-liners looks like he could be Elton John's personal assistant.

I'm also mystified why you would waste your time even opening a thread that you can plainly see was started by the guy with the tiring "everybody hates me" rouitine.

your scenario

Umm...your scenario.....as stated by you..was "I worked for a Charitible Organization" and therefore was in a position to criticize my idea.....which you did. I'm cool with that, just don't agree with your apparent stance.

And as far as "everybody hates me" goes.....I don't know or care if this is true....I do know however that some of the more elequent posters use the very endearing "Rock-A-Logic" tag when they don't agree with what I have to say.

I find it amusing.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Simple, you get first crack at buying whatever records you want for the agreed upon $2.00 - $3.00 price.

Fair compensation for all your efforts.

I like it!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I'm mystified how a guy who passes his time on ebay making snide remarks and insulting one-liners looks like he could be Elton John's personal assistant.

Are you gonna make a lame crack about that photo of Faux
    every time you need some sort of comeback now?

For a guy who seems to consider himself pretty righteous,
    you seem surprisingly willing to use someone's looks as a
    way to try to insult them. I've seen photos of you, Rich -
    you aren't really in any position to rag on anyone else.

Are you gonna make a lame crack about that photo of Faux
    every time you need some sort of comeback now?

For a guy who seems to consider himself pretty righteous,
    you seem surprisingly willing to use someone's looks as a
    way to try to insult them. I've seen photos of you, Rich -
    you aren't really in any position to rag on anyone else.

Handsome I am not......but usually when someone spends their time insulting people in the real world they should at least look like they can back it up.

Faux does not.

And honestly, is there anyone here that throws out more insults than Mr. Rillz??

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Handsome I am not......but usually when someone spends their time insulting people in the real world they should at least look like they can back it up.

Faux does not.

And honestly, is there anyone here that throws out more insults than Mr. Rillz??

What does that even mean?

You saw one photo of him and decided he wasn't tough enough
    to handle himself or something? Rock-a-Logic indeed.

And yes, he makes fun of people all the time - my point was,
    he's at least funny about it most of the time, and I was really
    just disappointed that instead of you being clever with a comeback
    all you have done since that photo was posted was make cracks about
    it. I expect you to have a higher level of response than Yuichi,
    who jumped on that photo like a life preserver in a tsunami, it
    was his only chance to get back at someone too smart and quick for
    him to ever match wits with. Get it?

your scenario

I'm also mystified why you would waste your time even opening a thread that you can plainly see was started by the guy with the tiring "everybody hates me" rouitine.

Did I at any point suggest that I don't enjoy your embattled everybody-hates-me routine? I think you're confusing me with somebody.

your scenario

Rockadelic is one of very few folks on this site whose understanding and appreciation of records is almost entirely uninformed by hip-hop and its attendant culture. Within the context of soulstrut, I find that generally interesting.

your scenario

Rockadelic is one of very few folks on this site whose understanding and appreciation of records is almost entirely uninformed by hip-hop and its attendant culture. Within the context of soulstrut, I find that generally interesting.

True--that is one reason why I always check for pickwick's poasts.

• your scenario

fascinating.

Faux does not.

What does that even mean?

You saw one photo of him and decided he wasn't tough enough
    to handle himself or something? Rock-a-Logic indeed.

And yes, he makes fun of people all the time - my point was,
    he's at least funny about it most of the time, and I was really
    just disappointed that instead of you being clever with a comeback
    all you have done since that photo was posted was make cracks about
    it. I expect you to have a higher level of response than Yuichi,
    who jumped on that photo like a life preserver in a tsunami, it
    was his only chance to get back at someone too smart and quick for
    him to ever match wits with. Get it?

Honestly, that means that I am of a generation who isn't used to hiding behind a computer screen when insulting someone.

I understand that you think insulting people is OK as long as it's done with a certain level of intellect and humor........most times it just comes off as "smarmy" to me.

What I'm fascinated with is why folks like you and Faux come to a thread, have NOTHING to say about the topic at hand but have no problem doling out the online ettiquette you feel is lacking, or in FR case, smarmy oneliners on a personal level.

You're cool with that Mr. Ettiquette??

• Honestly, that means that I am of a generation who isn't used to hiding behind a computer screen when insulting someone.

your scenario

James.....I appreciate your above comment....I think my understanding and appreciation of life in general is entirely uninformed by Hip-Hop.

Our only disagreement is whether or not the first post I made is sleazy and self serving or charitable and worthwhile.

I think it's the latter.

Honestly, that means that I am of a generation who isn't used to hiding behind a computer screen when insulting someone.

Zactly....maybe even older.