DJ MUGGS

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
sup.

one thing i always wondered when people talk about classic production, is why dj muggs name rarely comes up? i will admit, after the first three cypress hill albums, i haven't been into him much, but his early productions along with funkdoobiest's debut and the first two house of pain albums i thought were amazing and sounded like none other out there. soul assasins was on some funky sheit. did this guy ever get his props in the hip hop community? the first cypress hill album selftitled is one my fav funkiest hip hop albums of all time, and so many blues samples, i can't think of many producers that flipped blues riffs so good. and his baselines, some argue are all the same, but they're so damn simple and funky...i realized this as i was playing "we ain't going out like that" on piano. so what gives? too much of an alternative fan base?

i though the second soul assasins volume was sickening. his mashups are alright.
oh and his production on the tricky song "for real" is sweet as hell, check that tune if u haven't.

i hear he's doing a whole album with the gza?! please tell me that's not a rumour, the prior wu collabs were nice.

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Dude, flip it for old time's sake:

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

Cowabungay?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Cowabungay?

You seriously need to make posters of these and sell 'em at kiosks in the mall. This shit is the new Magic Eye!!!

Herm

haha thanks man, when i get my sheit together i'l kick some sheit

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    dude, you need to be around here more.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Plus, dude's collection looks like that Questlove video clip from a while ago. Don't sleep, man has beats and deep crates. I think he did somehow slip under the general radar, but heads know the deal.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    cowabunga!!

and you are correct...overlooked and underrated.

did he ever make (classic[?]) mixtapes?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

the very definition of "real world moves"!!!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Plus, dude's collection looks like that Questlove video clip from a while ago. Don't sleep, man has beats and deep crates. I think he did somehow slip under the general radar, but heads know the deal.

Yes,

As Volumen said, Muggs gets much love up in these parts. If you check some of my "producer" posts, I'm always proppin' that cat. Classic material indeed!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    This upside down shit is seriously so next level. Can we organize them all into one post?

The Yoaming/Zangief shit is that crack.

-e

haha thanks, maybe i'l find a few more celebs and kick it like that, any suggestions?

• cowabunga!!

and you are correct...overlooked and underrated.
    did he ever make (classic[?]) mixtapes?

My experiences with are kind of suck. he is a premadonna dick. he tried to play at rootdown when his downtempo record came out he and his boys ended beating some dudes down. plus he was talking alot of shit. he was trying to run with the whole "mash-up thing awhile, had a show on KROQ i think. his early production was pretty ill. but i still wanna know how much skatemaster tate hipped him to alot of those records. he definitely had a "sound" to his production. i don't really hear that anymore though.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I think it's also possible that the Cypress Hill lyrical content/style overshadowed his beats. Even though they weren't the first to talk about weed they really made it their focus, plus the whole "nasal style" seemed new to a lot of people. I know when they first came out everyone I knew was like "oh they're mexican and they talk about weed all the time". Of course I was like "damb those beats bang and thier mexican and talk about weed all the time except for the songs about killing people."

• Dude, flip it for old time's sake: