El-P disses spankrock

13»

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    great fourth post

• Nah, I likes my Hip-Hop with a little funk and a little soul..El-P has neither. Different does not = good. Dude uses alot of noises and makes clutterd beats and he's great producer just because he's purposefully abstract?? Don't think so. Nevermind his lack of flow or cadence...

And yes, I've heard Funcrusher and Fantastic Damage. I actually bought Fan Dam and returned it in one of those trade 5 used CDs for 1 new one. So i lost money onthat one. El-P, you owe me for your unlistenable album. IMO, Hip-Hop has to have some sort of connection with the streets, El-P sounds like he's trying to make music for goth kids and punk rockers more than Hip-Hop heads.

and

• SPANK ROCKS NEW VIDEO

NSFW!!!!!!

this shit is crazy.

HAHAHAHA WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

those hoochies definitely not sexy!!! ewwwww

amanda's cool as shit and so is spankrock. i celebrate that they are having tons of fun. yeah yeah what what!!!!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Nah, I likes my Hip-Hop with a little funk and a little soul..El-P has neither.
    myopic

• Nah, I likes my Hip-Hop with a little funk and a little soul..El-P has neither. Different does not = good. Dude uses alot of noises and makes clutterd beats and he's great producer just because he's purposefully abstract?? Don't think so. Nevermind his lack of flow or cadence...

And yes, I've heard Funcrusher and Fantastic Damage. I actually bought Fan Dam and returned it in one of those trade 5 used CDs for 1 new one. So i lost money onthat one. El-P, you owe me for your unlistenable album. IMO, Hip-Hop has to have some sort of connection with the streets, El-P sounds like he's trying to make music for goth kids and punk rockers more than Hip-Hop heads.

You're mad at El-P for not sounding like Mecca and the Soul Brother? Whose fault is that? I feel sorry for you if you have such strict criteria to be able to enjoy hip hop. Are you allowed to listen to club music or is that too far outside the "golden era" rules? Why is it so mindblowing for people to realize that there exists music that is considered "hip hop" that doesn't have horn loops and verses about chilling with homies and drinking beer?

How does hating on people (especially El-P, a horse that has been dead and beaten by "real headz" repeatedly for the last five years) garner so much respect around here? Like how much mental acuity does it take to compare Fantastic Damage to Midnight Marauders and say "they are not the same! me no likey!" I quit checking for El-P when he released his newest one because it got too far from hip hop for me, but to call his music "purposefully abstract" is pretty obtuse. I think dude broke a lot of ground with his sound, and Cannibal Ox is a pretty good example of that. I can understand how his music isn't for everyone but I can't help but side with him when people hate him for trying to you know, actually do something new and creative with the typical hip hop template.

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    I can understand how his music isn't for everyone but I can't help but side with him when people hate him for trying to you know, making masturbatory albums filled with keyboard farts.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Nah wolfmother are pretty deserving. Cheap ass led zep and sabbath rip offs...The only reason they got anywhere is because they were down with the tsubi/modular guys. Aside from the teenybopper crowd here in australia most people in the rock scene fuckin hate those guys.

This may be, but I maintain that on the list of "Bands that Mike Patton needs to call the fuck out while talking about something completely different," Wolfmother should hold down a low spot. I guess I'm just not offended by their sound, which I don't think rips Zep or Sabbath at all. They're certainly aping the sound of that era, and I guess dude kinda sounds like Robert Plant, but whatever, we have different opinions on Wolfmother, and I haven't even heard their whole album.

My point is, Patton is in a position to say whatever the fuck he wants about today's bands, so I wish he would come down harder on lame emo angst-metal clowns like Linkin Park and Evanescence, who, IMO, are far more of a poison to rock music some harmless 70's throwback cats.

• You're mad at El-P for not sounding like Mecca and the Soul Brother? Whose fault is that? I feel sorry for you if you have such strict criteria to be able to enjoy hip hop. Are you allowed to listen to club music or is that too far outside the "golden era" rules? Why is it so mindblowing for people to realize that there exists music that is considered "hip hop" that doesn't have horn loops and verses about chilling with homies and drinking beer?

How does hating on people (especially El-P, a horse that has been dead and beaten by "real headz" repeatedly for the last five years) garner so much respect around here? Like how much mental acuity does it take to compare Fantastic Damage to Midnight Marauders and say "they are not the same! me no likey!" I quit checking for El-P when he released his newest one because it got too far from hip hop for me, but to call his music "purposefully abstract" is pretty obtuse. I think dude broke a lot of ground with his sound, and Cannibal Ox is a pretty good example of that. I can understand how his music isn't for everyone but I can't help but side with him when people hate him for trying to you know, actually do something new and creative with the typical hip hop template.

Don't confuse me with them golden-era elitist snobs. I'm the type to have Brand Nubian, Big L, Group Home, 50 Cent, Pitbull, and Lil Wayne on rotation. I dig club music as much as I dig 94-era shit.
    And when I said he doesn't have funk or soul, I didn't mean it in the literal sense that he doesn't sample like Pete Rock and Q-Tip, I meant that dude makes flat-line music---no heart. His shit is just so technical and cold and noisy. To me, he tries to make his music complex for the sake of being complex. I'm not hating on dude, I just stated my reasons for not being a fan. I did buy his album, gave it a good five of six listens, and everytime I was like, 'this is some bullshit.' I felt like he didn't make this music for heads like me, he made it for some Marylin Manson type kids.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    True but the only reason MP disses wolfmother is that they happened to be playing when he was being interviewed. It wasn't like he was asked who he hates the most.
    IMO Linkin Park is just as shity as wolfmother...i've never heard evanescence i guess that makes me

As for El-P whether you like his music or not i think he's dragged hip hop kicking and screaming into the future. Can Ox was on some sci fi blade runner tip.

• I've never seen El-P live, so I can't comment on that, but I DID see Spank Rock live two years ago, and it's probably one of the best shows I've seen, even from a hardcore hip-hop fan perspective.

No DATs (not even samplers)
    No sausage-fest
    No lame hypemen screaming "this is REEEEAL"
    No lame semi-related opening act
    No waiting for three hours because the artist had to finish a videogame

Just two DJs (real pros), one MC, tons of energy, shit, they even had A-Trak as a special guest.

I used to love funcrusher plus, I give Fan Dam a chance every once in a while, but it's like my housemate says, you can appreciate the guys effort, but for just listening I can't stand it anymore.

- J

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I'm sure there's doo doo hanging off of my opinion somewhere and I don't realize it, but I'll add my opinion anyways.

I've never been a big El-P fan, but saying his music has nothing to do with the 'proverbial streets' seems pretty short sighted. I know plenty of Graff heads from Florida that ride hard for the dude. As far as recent trends go in New York--at least in terms of correlating fashion to other tastes, such as music--it seems like a lot of the young dunskies are not looking so 'proverbially street' themselves, so maybe the 'proverbial streets' are changing.

b/w:
    Dipset is not your daddy's 'street' with those large belt buckles, chain wallets, and other accessories.

• The production on I'll sleep when your dead is not over complicated... you should listen to it before you comment. it is abrasive and very individualized, but I think dude is talented. If you dont think white people should be rapping, thats a whole nother story. I just see it being cool to hate on el-p.... as in he'd have to make the best album in hip hop history for any of you guys to give him any dap. Even if your not a big fan... as far as indie indie hip hop goes dude is one of the most talented guys out there. Thats probably why he gets to do remixs for beck, charlie parker, and nine inch nails. I dont wanna chime in cause liking el-p is about as cool or less cool than liking britany spears around here. He's done work with Ghostface and definately held his own. Fantastic damage was overproduced... but i'll sleep when your dead isn't. Gimme some real criticism besides that he has no cadance or that his beats are too complicated or dissonant.
    Its like the same complaints you have about el-p are a lot of the same complaints ALOT of your favorite psych rock and jazz albums got back in the day. Im not comparing El-p to any of the legends... you guys are just really close minded for a bunch of ecclectic music collectors. Hate if you want... but dont just post some gay blurb... make some sense.

And for the record I play spankrock about every time i play out... so im not really taking sides... I just dont understand why you guys want to hate el-p before even really listening. Is it cause hes white, is it his fanbase, his lyrical content?

• spcspc 534 Posts
    he doesn't base his style off taking samples and looping them. He actually PLAYS his music.
    WOW!

He must be real

He looks a bit like the Boris Becker of HipHop!

So you think sampling and looping shit is whack shit?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    for me, he's got no appeal to me cause its like his beats sound like the motor of my battered 94 honda civic when im trying to start it with -20 degrees outside and his flow is like reading the whole index of an encylopedia when u can't pronounce the words.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    the Boris Becker of HipHop!

This analogy makes sense to me given the music he did with company flow a few (read: lots of) years back....love fifteen...