WEEKENDS FINDS (independence edition)

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    If they only made 12 it can't be very good then can it?

Gladys Knight, Zulema, Kool & Gang, Curtis are nice... the gospel one is not a bad comp. Vanilla Fudge is pretty rinked. There's a latin LP with a xylophone/fuzz guitar cover of Get Ready.

top left is mexican female soul with a bit of a rhumba vibe. Next to that is a mexi-disco medley with a nice intro.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

How is that Deviled Ham LP?

There's a copy I could snag, but it's on the price fence where I don't want to "risk it, son." Reading that they do a side-long cover of "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night" that combines elements of "Theme from Rosemary's Baby" manages to make me somehow want and not want it at the same time...

the label caught my attention - super K, a subsidiary of Buddah, say what? i was sucked in by the same liner notes, they got me over to a listening station quick.

i cant say theres breaks, but i was just needle dropping and havent had a chance to listen fully. I heard dope sounding grooves and cool production, but also some goofy nonsense. It was $7 and near mint, and i dont mind rolling the dice at that level when the needle dropping sounded mostly cool. sorry i cant be more help. Id say pay no more than $10 if you arent sure. (for all i know it could be worth $5 or $30)

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Damn, you guys find nice records!

Here's my weeks randomness:

Scoopy "Scoopys Rap" Sound of... 12
    (Complete with over-bommed sleeve, will post scan up. Has to be seen! States that real Djs use the "Rythm Metode (sic)")

Samiel "You Baby You" 45
    (Obscure disco soul from NY, anyone know this?)

Two Kings in a Cipher "Definition of a king" 12

Telephone Boys "Get Up" 12
    (Italo niceness)

Bob Andy "Bob Andy's Songbook" Studio 1
    (70s repress, but nice as fuck!)

Rudo "Girl Done With It" Jammy's
    (Killer 80s lovers)

Sugar Minott "Time So Rough" Volcano

Impressions "Love Me" 45

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Home Is Where The Heart Is:[/b]

Harold Alexander - Sunshine Man (99Problems, I'm still lookin' out for you though)

Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth

Don Cherry - S/T

Jujus Alchemy of the Blues - Sarah Webster Fabio (re-ish)

Earth, Wind & Fire - The Need of Love

and

"Hmmm...not familiar with this one...five bucks."

Peace to Aleit, SonicReducer and the one ness, all of whom I connected with on my evening journey back in Detroit Soul City.

*Special thanks to JonnyPaycheck for introducing me to the J.R. Bailey in the first place.

Fate works in mysterious ways, people - BELIEVE THAT.

Instant throwback avatar in celebration!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    the whole damn family- seven minutes of funk 12" OG

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    lightmen plus one-energy control center[/b]

damn that record has been on my wantlist since 1996.

any chance you would trade it ?

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

Jo Ann Garrett

I need her full length lp like it owes me money

CO-SIGN!!!

Haven't got this yet, but I'm expecting a visit from the E-Bay fairy.

Might have paid too much, but damn I will kill the floor with this one!!!

45s

RUFUS & CARLA - We're Tight (Stax)

JIMMY HUGHES - Goodbye My Love Goodbye (Fame)

JUNIOR WELLS - Cut My Toenail (Bright Star)

DON HOLLINGER - Cruel World / Until I Find You (Atco) My new favorite soul 45!

MIGHTY JOE YOUNG - The Rains Came (Wet Soul)---This one has me puzzled. I knew this song cause it's a Huey Meaux song that Doug Sahm covered 2 different versions of. Well this one is the earlier version of Doug's with some strings at the beginning and some female backing vocals. I don't understand cause Mighty Joe Young is a real dude...why put out Doug's recording under Young's name? Pickwick?

LPs

Thanks Mark!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Home Is Where The Heart Is:[/b]

Harold Alexander - Sunshine Man (99Problems, I'm still lookin' out for you though)
    Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth
    Don Cherry - S/T
    Jujus Alchemy of the Blues - Sarah Webster Fabio (re-ish)
    Earth, Wind & Fire - The Need of Love

and

"Hmmm...not familiar with this one...five bucks."

Peace to Aleit, SonicReducer and the one ness, all of whom I connected with on my evening journey back in Detroit Soul City.

*Special thanks to JonnyPaycheck for introducing me to the J.R. Bailey in the first place.

Fate works in mysterious ways, people - BELIEVE THAT.

Instant throwback avatar in celebration!
    NICE ONE DREW!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    PCC swap was nice to me today

Modern soul finds:

picked up 2 sealed copies of that Marige Joseph if anyone is interested

Other various soul finds:

and a couple highlights:

Perfect Circle[/b] "S/T" (Inner City)
    when I first started digging I was working at big B's in Las Vegas, we had a copy of this in the dollar bins and some dude bought it and let me hear what I was missing out on, 6 years later I finally have a copy for myself

John Braheny[/b] "Some Kind Of Change" (Pete)
    Mellow soft psych on a small California label. think of this as relaxed bloodshitting music with a twist

The Pattersons[/b] "Dear Jesus I love You" (Birthright) - x 3
    I bought my first copy of this a cople of years back and havent seen any since. Family band of Funky gospel with kids getting down in the most hard as fuck way you can for the lord. I flipped out when I found 3 sealed copies

What year?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    '77
    the birthright label ain't no joke

I'll try to post up a soundclip of my open copy later on

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    '77
    the birthright label ain't no joke

I'll try to post up a soundclip of my open copy later on
    Please post a clip if possible Adam, I may want to "holler" at one.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    wow, nice ones Guzzo, all from PCC?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Haven't got this yet, but I'm expecting a visit from the E-Bay fairy.

Might have paid too much, but damn I will kill the floor with this one!!!

You don't have to say how much you paid for it, but I believe a stash was unearthed not too long ago and there's currently a flood of these right now. I've seen this go for $300+ several years ago. I paid a little over $100 for mine, and that was maybe 3 years ago. Supposedly current price is between $60 and $100.

lightmen plus one-energy control center

What is this record?

• Options
    The one with the painted cover....here

Just as much jazz as it is funk IMO. Love their style of playing.

K.

• Supposedly current price is between $60 and $100.

who has them? I would like one.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hey dude, good seeing you this weekend.

I don't know who unearthed them, but they're up on the 'bay. Starting bid $99.99 right now.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

30 Second Clip from Embryo

also, a cheap reissue of Cannonball Adderley's "Soul of the Bible"

and $1 records by Dionne Warwick, Jose Feliciano, Willis Jackson & Grand Funk Railroad (their first, "On Time" that was surprisingly good, almost an hour of music on the LP and lots of good hooks, loud drums, and not SO bad vocals!)

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    The one with the painted cover....here

Just as much jazz as it is funk IMO. Love their style of playing.

Very cool LP. I'll just add that one track off it was comp'd on "funky sixteen corners" on stones throw.

I normally wouldn't uh, blow up the spot here, but spot is well and thoroughly blown.

If anybody has a copy in decent shape for a decent price, or the one with the lightbulb on the cover, drop me a line.

• My copy of this has a different cover, it has the writing in all yellow and in a different font. Anyone know the difference between the two?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    MIGHTY JOE YOUNG - The Rains Came (Wet Soul)---This one has me puzzled. I knew this song cause it's a Huey Meaux song that Doug Sahm covered 2 different versions of. Well this one is the earlier version of Doug's with some strings at the beginning and some female backing vocals. I don't understand cause Mighty Joe Young is a real dude...why put out Doug's recording under Young's name? Pickwick?

I have no idea what the deal is, but as far as the name...Mighty Joe Young was the name of a movie long before the Chicago bluesman called himself that. I'm willing to bet that Huey Meaux (Wet Soul owner?) was thinking of the movie and didn't know the Chicago MJY from a bucket of paint.

At first, I thought it was another pseudonym for James Young, a Gulf Coast R&B singer who also recorded for Huey Meaux (and recorded at one point as Big Sambo). I think he may have recorded "The Rains Came" himself. But then I reread your post - you implied that this was Doug Sahm on the vocals, so there goes that theory.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    eBayed:

Dorothy Ashby - Dorothy's Harp (Cadet)
    Coke - S/T (Sound Triangle)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I have no idea what the deal is, but as far as the name...Mighty Joe Young was the name of a movie long before the Chicago bluesman called himself that. I'm willing to bet that Huey Meaux (Wet Soul owner?) was thinking of the movie and didn't know the Chicago MJY from a bucket of paint.

At first, I thought it was another pseudonym for James Young, a Gulf Coast R&B singer who also recorded for Huey Meaux (and recorded at one point as Big Sambo). I think he may have recorded "The Rains Came" himself. But then I reread your post - you implied that this was Doug Sahm on the vocals, so there goes that theory.

I have the same Wet Soul 45, so I was interested in this, too - I always assumed it was the same Mighty Joe Young that cut blues LP's, but wasn't familiar with him or the Sahm version enough to realize the ruse.

Anyway, from Soul Strut's own La*ry G's Funky16Corners.com, I found this bit of info that may help, or may only deepen the mystery:

James Young[/b] & The Housewreckers - Barking Up The Wrong Tree (Jet Stream) ??? Speaking of funk from Texas, this is one of the best 45???s, from a state that seems give up a new, classic lost funk 45 every other day. This is the same band that hit the charts in the early 60???s as ???Big Sambo & The Housewreckers (I???ve seen a pressing of this 45 with the leader listed as ???James ???Big Sambo??? Young???), who did the original version of Huey P. Meaux???s ???The Rains Came (later a hit for the Sir Douglas Quintet).[/b] That shot at the limelight came to an abrupt and when certain civil rights leaders took exception to the name ???Big Sambo???. Needless to say they kept at it, and cranked out this blistering slammer. The a-side, ???Barking Up The Wrong Tree??? features a wild vocal and shrieking sax by Young, and solid, extremely funky backing by the aptly named House Wreckers. The flip, ???Funky Butt??? is an instrumental reworking of Jean Knight???s ???Mr. Big Stuff???.

And of course, Jet Stream is Huey Meaux' label. I feel I have someone else doing the song, another Meaux production of course - maybe Roy Head?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I have someone else doing ("The Rains' Came"), another Meaux production of course - maybe Roy Head?

Meaux milked that song dry - I have versions he produced on Freddy Fender and (I think) Joey Long.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i didn't do much hunting this weekend but i did have an amazing web find on saturday. Stefano torossi's feelings on orig italian carosello - must be less than 4 known copies of this masterpiece - 11 euro with postage - its in the post.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Nice. I've only got that abdul malek track from it on a MPS comp. "Surfin'" is my Embryo fave.

Not much digging for me this weekend. Been working on music and checking out the CPH Jazz festival instead, but still got a little something:

Italian xian hymns with sparse 'rock' instrumentation, keyboards + drums.

Translates to "Beat Mass". Xian hymns meet rock again, this time in Poland.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    PA THRIFT ($.50 ea):

Music of Another Present Era - Oregon
    Private Parts & Pieces II: Back to the Pavilion - Anthony Phillips
    Stardancer - Tom Rapp
    The Velvet Touch of Lenny Breau Live!
    Barrel of Fun - Country Cooking
    One Voice Many - Michaelangelo
    Voyage to Uranus - Atmospheres
    S/T - The Winter Consort
    Road - The Winter Consort
    Getz/Gilberto #2: Live at Carnegie Hall - Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto
    S/T - Yusef Lateef

PA Thrift ($.80 ea):

The Year of Roosevelt Franklin
    OST - Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell
    En Su Punto - Frankie Morales y La Banda

MD Flea ($1.00 ea):

Beatles '65
    Silk & Soul - Nina Simone
    Void Where Inhibited - Gotham
    II - The Sylvers
    Live at the Lighthouse 2LP - Grant Green
    7 - Soft Machine
    Circle Round the Sun - Leo Kottke

Random 45s ($.25 ea):

Where is Johnny Now? - The Sapphires
    Uptown/What a Nice Way to Turn 17 - The Crystals
    Working in the Coal Mine/Mexico - Lee Dorsey
    Fire/Rest Cure - Arthur Brown
    They're Coming to Take Me Away, HA-Haa! - Napolean XIV

• lightmen plus one-energy control center[/b]

damn that record has been on my wantlist since 1996.

any chance you would trade it ?

sorry dave, but its gonna stay with me.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    picked up these two over the weekend. both were sealed. i've had good luck lately coming across some sealed records.

Lyn Collins - Think

Blackbyrds - Flying Start

???Big Sambo & The Housewreckers (I???ve seen a pressing of this 45 with the leader listed as ???James ???Big Sambo??? Young???), who did the original version of Huey P. Meaux???s ???The Rains Came (later a hit for the Sir Douglas Quintet).

The one I've got is called Big "SAM" & the Housewreckers...it's on "ERIC" records too. It is definitly Doug Sahm. This is the one that's the same as the Mighty Joe cut. Huey was cashing in I guess.