Does Georgie Benson Pass the SS 'COOL TEST'?

2»

Comments

• White Rabbit anyone?

• George Benson and Jack McDuff

I have this:

which is this:

and another album repackaged in the 70s. These albums contain some of the better, more straight forward jazz stuff by Benson. In my opinion, this is some of his best work. I believe that song you posted is from one of the 2 albums repackaged in that double album, right?

And yeah that Erotic Moods record does suck. I don't even like the Cheeba Cheeba song that much. Nice hard drum break at the beginning, but the song is a little cheesy, really. I agree it sounds nothing like Benson. Maybe he was high.

• White Rabbit anyone?

YES. But only once a year*

*on weed!

• White Rabbit anyone?

"WHITE RABBIT" AND THE "CALIFORNIA DREAMING" VERSION ON THAT LP IS SIMPLY INCREDIBLE.
    PLEASE DONT FORGET "NATURE BOY" YALL.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Dude rocked out on songs about smoking weed and screwing and then denied it to make his church happy. Secret past is soooo cool!!!! Plus the dude just shreads wether it's straight or smooth jazz!!!!

• And yeah that Erotic Moods record does suck. I don't even like the Cheeba Cheeba song that much.

I have no problem with it, but it would have been improved had they added an electric bass. As it is, as much as I like it, that song would DIE on a dancefloor - it doesn't really go anywhere.

Nice hard drum break at the beginning, but the song is a little cheesy, really.

With a title like "Smokin' Cheeba Cheeba," you were expecting what, art? I dig it for the novelty it is.

I agree it sounds nothing like Benson. Maybe he was high.

Technically, I don't think that was his session. I'm sure Paul Winley either had some money or called some musicians that owed him some favors, set them down in the studio, let them go for themselves, and added the weird dialogue later.

If Benson ever comes out with an autobiography, I'm skipping right to the index page (under "Winley, Paul") just to see if he goes into detail about these odd sessions.

• Interestingly enough, turns out Grant Green had a weird love-hate thing in regards to Benson...according to the Green bio that came out a while back, Benson was seen in some circles as a Green imitator when he first emerged, and then in the '70s when G.B. became the big fusionoid crossover king, Green resented him on some "that-could-have-been-me" steez, which might explain why his last few albums before his death were unapologetically commercial.

(Benson, ever the gentleman, had no malice on his mind and openly worshipped the man, but Green didn't always see it that way.)

• And yeah that Erotic Moods record does suck. I don't even like the Cheeba Cheeba song that much.

I have no problem with it, but it would have been improved had they added an electric bass. As it is, as much as I like it, that song would DIE on a dancefloor - it doesn't really go anywhere.

Nice hard drum break at the beginning, but the song is a little cheesy, really.

With a title like "Smokin' Cheeba Cheeba," you were expecting what, art? I dig it for the novelty it is.

I agree it sounds nothing like Benson. Maybe he was high.

Technically, I don't think that was his session. I'm sure Paul Winley either had some money or called some musicians that owed him some favors, set them down in the studio, let them go for themselves, and added the weird dialogue later.

If Benson ever comes out with an autobiography, I'm skipping right to the index page (under "Winley, Paul") just to see if he goes into detail about these odd sessions.

Just a matter of opinion I guess about the record sucking, electric bass would certainly have helped. As far as Cheeba Cheeba, I hear ya. I didn't expect it to be some beautiful masterpiece at all, I guess what I mean is that the riff and the lead sound kinda cheesy to me, not the overall song in general. I enjoy the novelty of it too, with the dialogue at the beginning and everything. I still kept the record even though I don't ever listen to it. I just can't really get through the whole track. It was cool for a first listen, and cool to have. Like you said, for the novelty.

I would love to read a George benson autobiography. I hope that happens!

*edited for your edit

• [Just I enjoy the novelty of it too, with the dialogue at the beginning and everything.

ok, i havent listened to it for some time, but if i remember correctly, when the guy doing the voiceover asks some chick in hot pants if she wants some cheeba-cheeba, that sounds like a deep MALE voice answering him back??

• Haha, I'll have to check that, I do seem to remember something like that. Careful who you're hollerin' at on the skreets, George!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Rod Temperton Steez

• abbey road , has some dope stuff on thaer i.e. Shes So Heavy

miles in the sky? i may have to give another listen. i like that album

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    George Benson and Jack McDuff

I have this:

That's the one.

Another favourite:

• Does Earl Klugh make the cut? I havent really listened to him much yet but have these: