IM NOT SOUPED [FOOD RELATED]

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
alright fellers its time to "spread my wings". im getting tired of pho. so plaese to rep some delicious soups for this cold LA winter. im square with all the asian soups, hip me to some callaloo or some gazpacho or something different. but tasty. yes plaese.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Two faves....

New Mexico Green Chile Stew.....beyond good.

Caldo de Camarones.....get a side of rice and some good bread.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    well today I made a simple but tasty soup. Roasted garlic eggdrop soup with lump crabmeat. Add some thyme and roasted garlic to homemade chicken stock. Mix in beaten eggs with lemon juice and add crabmeat and parsley. Done. Serve with crusty loaf. Went over well with the crowd tonight. Big fan.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    well today I made a simple but tasty soup. Roasted garlic eggdrop soup with lump crabmeat. Add some thyme and roasted garlic to homemade chicken stock. Mix in beaten eggs with lemon juice and add crabmeat and parsley. Done. Serve with crusty loaf. Went over well with the crowd tonight. Big fan.

DAMN!!!! that sounds good.

• Two faves....

New Mexico Green Chile Stew.....beyond good.

ive had a green mole soup at the oaxacan spot in town. pretty good!

i need something hearty for this winter.

• do u guys know about the soup at the chinee spots? u gotta be one of us to get it. sometimes even i can pass. its nothing that special except for the fact that we all get it and as usual white folks are all bitchy about it. i mean, its just some shitty soup, but if i white dude sees u getting a bowl for free they will almost always complain.

anyways, its more of a medicinal thing. i remember kqed radio did like a expose on it or something which was kinda awesome. im sure they went into it more in depth but its basically all them chinese herbs and wood chips n shit cores and ends of veggies neckbones etc. simmered all day long. i kinda like it, it tastes like ass and weird animal parts like ballnuts and spleens or whatevers but it tastes healthy. and i get it FREE!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Most "americans" call chinese soup (other then egg drop/hot & sour soup) "dishwater soup."

It's an acquired taste. I prefer a hearty vegetable/minestrone any day though.

Real talk on soups is Chili or Gumbo or Stew + Bread/crackers is an unstoppable combo.

Red Manhattan clam/fish chowder any day all day too. Sorry to all the White Chowder lovers.

seafood chowders is what's realers

SOUP > SALAD, ALL DAY EVERY DAY

do u guys know about the soup at the chinee spots? u gotta be one of us to get it. sometimes even i can pass. its nothing that special except for the fact that we all get it and as usual white folks are all bitchy about it. i mean, its just some shitty soup, but if i white dude sees u getting a bowl for free they will almost always complain.

anyways, its more of a medicinal thing. i remember kqed radio did like a expose on it or something which was kinda awesome. im sure they went into it more in depth but its basically all them chinese herbs and wood chips n shit cores and ends of veggies neckbones etc. simmered all day long. i kinda like it, it tastes like ass and weird animal parts like ballnuts and spleens or whatevers but it tastes healthy. and i get it FREE!

Yes, this is a soup made in the winter time. My mom makes it, it smells gnarls but all the gingseng and herbs (not FDA approved at all) are pretty "refreshing"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Red Manhattan clam/fish chowder any day all day too. Sorry to all the White Chowder lovers.

• yes chowders and stews for the cold weather. dai ho, the noodle nazi, his taiwanese beef noodle stew has gone slightly downhill. way too much oil.

• oh yeah, im kinda embarrassed to admit it, but i like the whole foods carrot ginger soup.

yes chowders and stews for the cold weather. dai ho, the noodle nazi, his taiwanese beef noodle stew has gone slightly downhill. way too much oil.

I will have to try it sometime. Classic nio ro mien (beef noodle soup) has a bit of oil floating around on the top. Can't beat the thick noodle and cilantro and oh my. Okay sorry I am passionate about good soup.

• yes chowders and stews for the cold weather. dai ho, the noodle nazi, his taiwanese beef noodle stew has gone slightly downhill. way too much oil.

I will have to try it sometime. Classic nio ro mien (beef noodle soup) has a bit of oil floating around on the top. Can't beat the thick noodle and cilantro and oh my. Okay sorry I am passionate about good soup.

yes, agreed. but theres so much oil in the soup that it basically insulates all the heat and that shit is so oily it stays boiling hot for like a half hour.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Shig,

I love me some soup, second only to sandwiches and both of which are awesome with a touch of bacon in almost all cases.

Here are some of my favorites and probably very common choices:

Potato Cheddar With BACON
    Mulligatawny soup
    Moroccan lentil soup
    Tuscan White Bean Soup
    Corn Chowder With Bacon
    Avgolemono Greek Chicken Soup
    Thai Coconut / Pumpkin Soup
    Butternut Ginger / or Curry
    French Onion with a big ol' piece of bread w/ melted mozzarella
    Tortilla Soup
    Broccoli Cheddar soup
    Turkey Noodle
    Potato Leek
    Beer Cheese Soup
    Roasted Red Pepper
    Cream of Cauliflower, Asparagus, Celery
    Tomato Bisque ( also Lobster and Smoked Salmon are good at times)
    Cuban Black Bean ( must have swirl of sour cream )
    Chicken and Wild Rice
    Hangover Soup ( basically greens boiled, flavored and pulverized )

The possibilities are truly endless and a lot of these are really easy to make....especially stews and chowders. A good size pot can last 2-3 people 3-4 days.

Good Bread is a must. Damn, Now I'm craving.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Just Alice,

Somehow i am dying for soup and isn't even 7 a.m.- so, thanks.

Adding two faves here:

Italian Wedding Soup, with a hunk of old bread.

Cream of Mushroom. I get a can of the campell's, add a little milk and let is warm while i season and roast up a bunch of mushrooms on the side. When both are done i mix together, throw in a bread bowl and call it a day.

Bread bowl appreciation post.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Oh, also...

I am opening up a soup cafe. It will be called The Brothel???.

DEAL.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Senegalese Chicken Soup

It's tomato and peanut based, and spicy as hell. Good stuff, but be careful with those peppers???the first time I made it it was the hottest thing I'd ever eaten.

Oh, also...

DEAL.

^^^ FOR REALZ? tiiiight

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Oh, also...

DEAL.

^^^ FOR REALZ? tiiiight

I've wanted to open a small cafe with a limited menu (mainly soups and sandwiches) for a while now, but i don't get to stowe enough cash away at the moment to even look at it as a possibility. Retirement venture perhaps. Or maybe i'll be on some Philly street corner with a cart one of these winters.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Not so much a soup. But I'm HUNGRYYYYYY

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I've made this about 5 times in the past month:

need to have veg or chicken stock and basmati rice already cooked when you start this

fry garlic and onion in a half a teaspoon of ghee and veg oil, add celery. add tumeric and get everything coated. turn down and cover. when celery at a consistency you like (soft? crunchy?) add rice and stir til well coated. add stock and stir well.

serve with chopped parsley on top and lemon slices on the side.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I've had a good selection of soups of late, the s.o. is a fan of soup making. I've had butternut squash and a few other veggie soups.

I make the Chinaman soups a few times each winter. I pee like crazy each time though because I end up drinking way too much, plus it's very liquidy. I generally use chicken bones or pork neck bones.

Ultimate fav though is lobster bisque, or bisque of all varieties. It is hard to get that quantity of shells though to make at home. I've only done it at work.

I've been to the soup nazi a few times this month. Some flavours are great, others are average.