The life and music of Pimp C appreciation thread.

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Reflect on the man's music and life and all that shit.I'm still processing this shit right now. To me, Pimp C was like a rap super hero and I can't even believe dude could ever die. He always kept it real, whether it was speaking his mind on shit, handling his business, or just releasing good music for close to 20 years. Most of the mufuckas who came up around that time ain't in the rap game anymore or completely fell the fuck off. Pimp C continued to do his thing and even after doing a bid, came back stronger than ever.UGK (and a lot of other Texas rap artists) got me through a lot of rough spots in life and I would consider them the closest thing to contemporary soul music. Music that made really feel shit and think on stuff that I normally wouldn't have or just life in general. Pimp C speaks a lot on their music as being "country rap tunes" and I really feel that. I'm not going to say that I can directly relate to remotely anything Pimp C spoke on but I could definitely feel what he was speaking on and always felt enlightened after hearing some new Pimp C.This is probably rambling now and don't make too much sense so I'll stop now. I'm sure many others can feel me on this and more than likely put this in a better way.RIP.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

They're doing a non-stop memorial on the Box in Houston. Listen here:

www.kbxx.com

Clisk "Listen Here" in the top right corner of their homepage.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

UGK... got me through a lot of rough spots in life and I would consider them the closest thing to contemporary soul music.

Me too.

There's a lot of rap I would listen to to distract myself from my problems but, man, nobody made that music that actually shows you there is a way through the pain like U.G.K.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    my dude L_s (aka Tiger Blurp) is credited with getting me into UGK....and for that matter really helping me look at southern rap in a whole new perspective.

back in '96 i was all about backpacks and east coast real schitt... but my dude was adamant about me checking out UGK. He was like "dog...these dudes will change your life"

and that is the truth. after getting into UGK around '97 i had a total new outlook on hip-hop and especially southern hip-hop. now i don't want to take this thread down some regional he said/she said crap, but for damn sure i can guarantee you that i am a more open minded music listener because of the shit that UGK were talking about on their albums.

easily one of my top 5 rap groups/acts ever.

• "Front Back and Side To Side"

I was always into this song, even when I was a high school kid too Wu and heiroed out to give southern stuff a fair listen.

• I left my office not long after hearing the news and went to the gym. The first song I listened to, naturally, was "One Day." Never sounded so heavy....

But so many other lines hit me, too, especially from the last album. Hearing Pimp say "Life Is Too Short" and "I just wanna celebrate ('cause trill ni**as don't die)", "I know it's a better place than livin' in this dirty world."

It was also crazy to hear him on the outro to "Front Back and Side to Side" when he shouts out Spice 1, who just got shot.

But what really got me was when Bun said, "But on the cool, you know what else I hope is true? That they got a heaven for me and got a heaven for you, too."

Be free, Pimp C.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I couldn't be much more disconnected from UGK as far as reality is concerned but their music has always resonated deeply with me and, as Brian put so eloquently, has helped me through many dark times.

It's becoming a cliche to admire the song these days but One Day is the tune that first got me into UGK and is one that I could happily listen to every day for the rest of my life. It's one of the most powerful pieces of modern music, rap or otherwise, that I can think of.

From then on I just absorbed anything I could get my hands on by the group, old and new, and can't quite believe that, after all those years of waiting, just when Pimp C is on the rise again, this happens. I had to triple check when I read that Pimp C was only 33 as they seem to have been around for as long as I can remember.

I have to spare a thought for how Bun B is dealing with this as well, I can't think of another group who have so resolutely stood up for each other over such a long period and through so many ups and downs.

• this is my anthem of the summer of '07:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vLAFoFdM1ws&feature=related

• Can someone up One Day?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Can someone up One Day?

One Day

• Even though I have been a UGK fan for a long ass time, just in the past few weeks I have been blasting the hell out of the new Pimp C shit that was crazy. I hope dude has a 2pac like vault full of unreleased verses and shit. I have no idea, but since he was getting on mixtapes recently, he must have been prepping/promoting his solo joint. I REALLY hated to hear this shit, man. Dude had style and swagger for daaayyyyys.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    this is my the anthem of the summer of '07:

I'm haven't been into rap for the last few years, but this is the jam right here.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i had to cancel dinner with my girlfriend and friends cos i already know theres no way im going to be able to function. i got two 40s to hold me down while i listen to ugk and pimp c guest spots for the rest of the day. RIP

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

^^^ridiculous

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    this is my the anthem of the summer of '07:

I'm haven't been into rap for the last few years, but this is the jam right here.

This and "Underground Kingz" were my records of the year, no question. Damn if dude didn't go out at the top of his game.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    UGK equal 1997 in my head...I first bought a UGK 12" at that time. I guess my story is quiet equivalent to a lot of dudes onboard. I was a eastcoaster at that time. It was all about New-York. But there was something with UGK that i could never explained back then. While growing up, i realized what it was : soul. When your music is a reflection of your soul, you can feel it. Ask Bobby Bland or Gil-Scott. I put dude in the same category. I know in 20 years i'll still be bumping some UGK in my player.

• "Lord it's so hard
    Livin' this life
    A constant struggle each and every day
    Some wonder why
    I'd rather die
    Than to continue living this way"

RIP. In commemoration, Pimp C will stay on steady rotation throughout all of my musical listening experiences all week. I've pretty much been listening to UGK daily for a while anyway. A good mix of his greatest moments needs to happen with a quickness.

• One Day has been on repeat for the better part of this morning.

• One Day has been on repeat for the better part of this morning.

Yeah, that's really the hardest hitting track I can think of right now. I had just listened to Living This Way on the way to work and found the chorus to be kind of haunting and wanted to post it. One Day though, that's just so real right now.

While nothing is going to bring the man back, I really want to know more about what happened.

Last night Noz posted the unedited transcript (in two parts) of an interview he did with Pimp C for Scratch last year.

If UGK's music ever meant anything to you, you need to take time out of your morning to read this.

Noz, gets at this, and I agree with him--it's sad the way that a lot of interviewers during the final year of his life tried to provoke the man. The trash-talk could be entertaining, but he had a lot more to say.

• Anybody know if Noz plans on posting the rest of this? It says "stay tuned for part three..."

I'm tuned!

That's a good friggin interview. Hats off to Noz.

• That's a good friggin interview. Hats off to Noz.

I was wondering how UGK got such musical production from such an early date. I kinda assumed that they must have had a crew of producers ala Dungeon Family, but it was all Pimp C after all. Damn this man was incredibly talented.

That's a good friggin interview. Hats off to Noz.

I was wondering how UGK got such musical production from such an early date. I kinda assumed that they must have had a crew of producers ala Dungeon Family, but it was all Pimp C after all. Damn this man was incredibly talented.

He's definitely one of rap's all-time great producers and I hope that fact now becomes more widely recognized.

Man, I just feel gutted over this.

• If i am not mistaken, someone from this board wrote a letter to pimp c while he was in jail and he answered it. i remember whoever it was posted pics. i always thought that was a good look.