Did New York just discover PUTS/OST?

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
i'm sayin though.I sampled them records 6 years ago. who cares.

Comments

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    i'm sayin though.

I sampled them records 6 years ago.

who cares.

Care to elaborate???

• Care to elaborate???

Jay-Z "Party Life" related

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Care to elaborate???

Jay-Z "Party Life" related

Ah... thanks

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    hey Thester, clear thy PMs sire

• not really a Wambulance, necessarily, but yes:

Jay Z
    Large Professor

I heard something else recently as well but I wasn't sure who it was.

Should I take solice in the fact that 6 years ago I was hooking shit up better than these joints or be a mad doggie that no one cares about breaking a new joint.

I know alot of people (Big Stacks for instance who referred to us before I got on the board as "Suburban Rap") overlooked what we did but damn, credit should be due right? I mean a dude like Einstein or myself used to break our necks and wallets trying to get new joints that no one had used; the fact that that sort of thing hardly matters anymore might be why "underground" hip hop gets such a bad rap around these parts.

btw I'm back in effect. Hi Soulstrut.

I had a baby.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I had a baby.

Congratulations!

• I had a baby.

congratulations.

and it's always weak when someone doesn't get the props they deserve.

I had a baby.

The real waaaambulance

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Back...and blasting!

How's new fatherhood? Holla back when you have a chance.

As for the core question: I think the ethic of "who's flipped it first" has lost a lot of potency over the years. Just Blaze caught heat over the whole "PSA/Black Moon/OC" thing but from what I thought was a very small group of folks. For the most part, he can do whatever and it's all good (see sampling the Isley Bros, for example!)

When's the last time anyone was really clowned for beat biting?

• When's the last time anyone was really clowned for beat biting?

I can't even remember. Pete Rock in that Wax Po interview talmbout "I'm taking all my credit back from n*ggas that stole from me" and really it's like no one cares. it's sorta sad in my opinion.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    credit should be due right?

Yes. The rest of the world might not care but as always. Those will always be timeless records.

Congrats on having a baby. I'm sure he/she will be an expert on sampling ethics by age seven.

Congrats on the seedling my man! Tried to PM you around the time I read the news here, but I'm assuming either you're still trying to gain your sanity like I was, or your PM box is full.

I got a hot acetate for you, holler!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    thats odd, I heard a local producer here was complaining that Bad Boy had jacked a beat of his on the new Jay Z.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Somebody put up the MP3s so I can hear this JayZ jackin...

Hey Thes, knwutahmean? I still listen to OST all the damn day. Just good music--underground or not.

and most importantly, congratulations. I am quite sure you will be an excellent father.

~gNAt

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    hey Thes,

Long time no hear. It's great to hear from you and congrats on becoming a daddy.

PS I know a little something something about some Jackson 5 dual accordian cover steez

• hey Thes,

Long time no hear. It's great to hear from you and congrats on becoming a daddy.

PS I know a little something something about some Jackson 5 dual accordian cover steez

Dude, my homeboy said Stein caught like three copies of that shit recently! Someone must have kicked the bucket and dumped all of their stock into circulation.

Only thing I've been digging lately is little dude.

He loves the Average White Band for some reason.

Thanks for the good words everyone, and to pretty much everyone who wrote something:
    I need to get at you about that, i'll try and email or call tomorrow[/b]

• To answer the question in the thread title, I would say 'probably'. And most definitely in the crowd Jay-Z probably runs with. West Coast rap still does not get much play out here. It's damn hard to find any PUTS or UD, and I have officially relegated records by you dudes to 'import status' out here. They really are that hard to find, even at Labcabin.

• "rap is an art you can't own no loops, it's how you hook em up and the rhyme style troop"

Naw, I understand that credit is due but there's so much hip hop/rap music out that you can't blame a rapper or a producer for not hearing about such and such sampling the same record they hooked up. Way too much music being put out for anyone to keep up with who sampled what. Especially when most producers and rappers jock their own shit so much that it's the only music they pay attention to. Producers and rappers nowadays are not fans of the music or culture, they just want to get "put on".

• "rap is an art you can't own no loops, it's how you hook em up and the rhyme style troop"

Naw, I understand that credit is due but there's so much hip hop/rap music out that you can't blame a rapper or a producer for not hearing about such and such sampling the same record they hooked up. Way too much music being put out for anyone to keep up with who sampled what. Especially when most producers and rappers jock their own shit so much that it's the only music they pay attention to. Producers and rappers nowadays are not fans of the music or culture, they just want to get "put on".

I agree with everything said here, and I want to reiterate that I am not salty in any way, it just is ironic to me that the tracks in question are worth SO much now, yet they were already hooked up and released like 6 years ago.

JAY IF YOU ARE READING THIS HOLLER AT ME. I GOT YOUR 2013 HOT SHIT RIGHT NOW!

seriously Hov. And I'm not talking some sped up common ass r&b with fruity loop drums nor some soft-synth wankfest.

HOLLOER

• the fact that that sort of thing hardly matters anymore might be why "underground" hip hop gets such a bad rap around these parts.

Not a whole lot of people can appreciate stuff like finding completely off the wall rare stuff to sample or rehashing old stuff in a new way (like you've done with Bubble Gum or a handful of other samples). Which brings me to another point, the fact that the people that know the most about the type of stuff you do don't even listen to it and I find that odd. Well, from what I can tell by reading this forum anyway. However, I must say I definitely enjoy the musical stylings of the P (or ugly duckling, or etc) and I can appreciate the work you put in.

I know it especially sucks for you when you try to just make shit that sounds good yet you still get labeled as "underground". Isn't it time to bury this word? I mean for real, the only people I know that still use it sincerely are like 18-19 years old.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

JAY IF YOU ARE READING THIS HOLLER AT ME. I GOT YOUR 2013 HOT SHIT RIGHT NOW!

seriously Hov. And I'm not talking some sped up common ass r&b with fruity loop drums nor some soft-synth wankfest.

HOLLOER

Hova is reading soulstrut right now, and beginning to lay down tracks in the mind garden for his 2013 release: HOVA UNDA THA STAIRZ.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    not really a Wambulance, necessarily, but yes:

Jay Z
    Large Professor

Should I take solice in the fact that 6 years ago I was hooking shit up better than these joints or be a mad doggie that no one cares about breaking a new joint.

I know alot of people (Big Stacks for instance who referred to us before I got on the board as "Suburban Rap") overlooked what we did but damn, credit should be due right? I mean a dude like Einstein or myself used to break our necks and wallets trying to get new joints that no one had used; the fact that that sort of thing hardly matters anymore might be why "underground" hip hop gets such a bad rap around these parts.

I had a baby.

Yo Thes,

No disrespect meant there, just a statement of preference. My "suburban rap" phrase was a joking way to state what I meant. Talent and preference aren't the same thing. I also own no music by Too Short, Naughty By Nature, Stetsasonic, AZ, Spice 1, MC Eiht, Canibus, Ludacris, Cam'ron, etc., etc. because I don't prefer their styles. I acknowledge all of these guys' talents, including P.U.T.S., but like anyone, I lean toward my preferences. Halle's pretty but I'd choose Kellita Smith instead given the option (and not being happily married) because I find the latter more curvaceous and sensuous than the former. That doesn't mean I think Halle is ugly. Feel me...? Please, who cares, you make bread doin' what you love to you, making music, that's respect worthy on its own. How many cats can making a living doin' music?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• What I'm saying is why wait for PDiddy to loop it 6 years from now when I can get you the same joint, FLIPPED, for a discount rate RIGHT NOW!

but seriously, I'll never understand the reason that every time something with samples shows up it's "backpacker" or "underground" and everyone on this board jumps up to hate, yet it's the same music that fosters a culture that keeps alot of record dealers on this aboard afloat. Yes I still pay $500 for a record with a break to be the first person to use it for my own sense of self construction. I don't hold that over anyone's heads and I haven't flown the ethics flag since OST when I realized how little everyone else cared and how much caring in itself was a lost cause. Now I just make music and hope everyone likes it, the fact that I don't sample MP3s and still dig up rare shit no one has used is, really I guess, for my own pleasure.

But damn soulstrut. If anyone should still care about sampled music, for any number of reasons, it's the majority of yall!

And for that matter crate heads, wait till you hear what I got up my sleeve for 2008. BE VERY AFRAID.
    RAERS+GOD GIVEN TALENT+HARD ASS WORK+NEW API1608 CONSOLE=me shitting on your favorite "underground" producers

• not really a Wambulance, necessarily, but yes:

Jay Z
    Large Professor

I had a baby.

Yo Thes,

No disrespect meant there, just a statement of preference. My "suburban rap" phrase was a joking way to state what I meant. Talent and preference aren't the same thing. I also own no music by Too Short, Naughty By Nature, Stetsasonic, AZ, Spice 1, MC Eiht, Canibus, Ludacris, Cam'ron, etc., etc. because I don't prefer their styles. I acknowledge all of these guys' talents, including P.U.T.S., but like anyone, I lean toward my preferences. Halle's pretty but I'd choose Kellita Smith instead given the option (and not being happily married) because I find the latter more curvaceous and sensuous than the former. That doesn't mean I think Halle is ugly. Feel me...? Please, who cares, you make bread doin' what you love to you, making music, that's respect worthy on its own. How many cats can making a living doin' music? .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks, dude it's all good. I cited you because I felt it was indicative of a general attitude around here, when someone got props for sampling, or was not Crack Rap, oh "I don't listen to that suburban rap", without even maybe hearing us. I think in that same thread PhillyStress called us Whiteboy Rap while neither myself nor Double K are white, and for that matter, it shouldn't matter. We're not from the burbs either. But the point is that it's weird to me to see people rating records by sales as opposed to the rare shit they dug up to sample, and if they did a good job in doing so. This is a site for record collectors who are in to hip hop right?

• This is a site for record collectors who are in to hip hop right?

I think these days it's a texas rap review site

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Alls I know is that baby has a motherfucking head of hair. Congrats on that shit. More pics please!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Thes,

It's supposed to be a site for record collectors into hip-hop, but people have short attention spans. Hip-hop, unfortunately, is present-oriented. At least, you get to play in the game, while old relics like me never will. That's real talk, so considered yourself blessed, and fuck what folks think. You get to do what most folks will NEVER DO in a lifetime. That's something to be proud of, for reals!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• reskresk 391 Posts
    there was a local miami mc (i think society?) who flipped that little beaver sample back in the mid-90s. Had it on a local (miami) college radio show, they left it a 33rpm's, anyone know or remember this shit? Probably have it on cassette somewhere at my moms crib, but havent owned a cassette deck in years.

• I think in that same thread PhillyStress called us Whiteboy Rap while neither myself nor Double K are white, and for that matter, it shouldn't matter. We're not from the burbs either.

if the one PhillyStress aka StressDollaz is not feeling you guys than you must be doing something right.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    congrats on the baby
    i feel you 100% on the diggin/sample flip thing
    i dont think anyone cares anymore what someone samples until someone of jay's caliber uses something.
    it aint really about puttin in work diggin anymore. its a reality. im still with it, but when i play beats to folks, they dont ask me what record i found that sample on. they either dig what i do or not.