Big Jaz/ Jaz O. I'm not knowing.

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Can anyone school me on this dude? Recordings to check for?

Comments

• I think he did a mid 90s lp which is quite good and then he had a nice (primo?) track on some D & D comp some years ago which I think also came out on 12".

Peace,

Dress

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've always liked Jaz's second album, "To Your Soul" from 1991 on EMI. There's also his first one (the one with "Hawaiian Sophie" and "The Originators") called "Word to the Jaz" from 1990, also on EMI.

• The Big Jaz "Foundation" 12" was the shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jaz = Batman

Jay-Z = Nightwing

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Hipocritters 12"
    You Don't Stop EP
    I Can't Get Wit Dat (he's on the posse cut)

he's on that live tapekings 12" with Jay-z and Biggie too.

he was also in a group called High Potent with Jay Z in the late 80s.

• Yeah, Jaz is a very skilled mc and pioneer who doesn't get his full recognition. Here's some tracks to check

The Jaz-Pumpin ('89) [Word To The Jaz LP]
    The Jaz-To The Soul LP '90 (key tracks: To The Soul, The Originators w/ Jay Z, Doped Up, Abnormal, It's that
    Simple w/Jay Z, etc (this is a really good album with prod. by vancy C and Prince Paul)
    The Jaz-The EP: This is a real good one to chek. It has 45 King and Large Professor production. Every song
    here is work checking ('91)

'95: Stone To The Bone (prod.. by showbiz) on the D&D Compilation

From there he become better known as Big Jaz or Jaz O

peep his verse on "Bring It On" on Jay Z's reasonable Doubt

Then for his Big Jaz solo tracks peep (mostly all late 90s and early 2000's:

Foundation w/Jay Z and Sauce Money
    Kingz Kounty
    Deadly
    The Love Is gone

He is also on myspace with new music and upcoming projects that are all pretty solid.
    All that and he's good peoples too....

this is mainly focused on showing how ill of a lyricist he is. He has some other more popular stuff also. Plus he has a pretty impressive production resume' with track for: Group Home, Jay Z, The GZA, M.O.P, PUffy with the Lox, Ras Kass, Kool G Rap etc...

• '95: Stone To The Bone (prod.. by showbiz) on the D&D Compilation

"stone to the bone barrell to the marrow, these streets are narrow, full metal jacket's part of my apparel"

I have his first LP, classic shit!

• '95: Stone To The Bone (prod.. by showbiz) on the D&D Compilation

"stone to the bone barrell to the marrow, these streets are narrow, full metal jacket's part of my apparel"

I have his first LP, classic shit!

on the D&D sampler there are two great Jaz freestyles too. I think I have them on my computer, I'll check when I get home and post them up.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

He is also on myspace with new music and upcoming projects that are all pretty solid.
    All that and he's good peoples too....

Word.
    Earlier this year I sent him mp3s of his stuff...

• he's on that live tapekings 12" with Jay-z and Biggie too.

More info on this would be appreciated please as I can't find anything on discogs...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Lots of great stuff from this dude. The Jaz-produced "Bananas" b/w "We're On Top of Thangs" 12" by Council also deserves a mention.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I believe that Jaz O was the inventor of the Triple rhyme style that Jay Z ,
    Twista and many southern rappers have become famous for.

:5pager:

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Ok, once again this post brings me to this question.

What the hell HAPPEND to the original crew of:

Jaz O, Sauce Money, Tone Hooker, OC, and Jay Z?

This honestly had to be one of the best crew of rappers of all time. Then Jay runs off and starts to bubble and disses all of them! Someone knows the story here, what is it?

• Ok, once again this post brings me to this question.

What the hell HAPPEND to the original crew of:

Jaz O, Sauce Money, Tone Hooker, OC, and Jay Z?

This honestly had to be one of the best crew of rappers of all time. Then Jay runs off and starts to bubble and disses all of them! Someone knows the story here, what is it?

I think it all boils down to the fact that Jay Z became bigger than those guys and then everyones expectations are different and things get twisted. You look at most groups of "friends" who are all down by law at equal status but if someone becomes clearly more successful or whatever 9 times out of 10 things start to fall apart.

It generally stems from miscommunications and ego for the most part. This is my opinion, mind you. However, it's also based on things i've read from Jay and Jaz in nterviews and also what has been told to me in interviews with some of them.

I don't think it's fair to just say Jay ran off and disses them all. I think it's probably a lil more complex than that... However, that's not to say he handled it the best way possible or that he doesn't have fault in it. All in all, they probably all need to just swallow pride or whatever and squash it. It's unfortunate to know that they had such long histories together and it's to this point now.

• I believe that Jaz O was the inventor of the Triple rhyme style that Jay Z ,
    Twista and many southern rappers have become famous for.

Well, that is what the song "The Originators" is all about. There's definitely others who lay claim to it or coulld be considered creators of it as well such as Freshco, Bryce Luv, Just Ice.... I tend to lean towards Jaz being the inventor as he does flip it a lil bit on the High Potent track in '85 which proceeds all the above mentioned as far as records. It does at least seem that it originated in Brooklyn at the very least.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    However, that's not to say he handled it the best way possible or that he doesn't have fault in it. All in all, they probably all need to just swallow pride or whatever and squash it. It's unfortunate to know that they had such long histories together and it's to this point now.

You can only carry dudes so far.

How many records was Jay supposed to let Sauce stink up?

And didn't Jay jump on one of O.C.'s records as late as '98?

Dudes just need to resign themselves to the fact that not everybody gets to make a living as a rapper.

However, that's not to say he handled it the best way possible or that he doesn't have fault in it. All in all, they probably all need to just swallow pride or whatever and squash it. It's unfortunate to know that they had such long histories together and it's to this point now.

Dudes just need to resign themselves to the fact that not everybody gets to make a living as a rapper.

Agreed, however at this point with Jay being who/where he is he could sign them and make them ROC boys. I understand it goes deeper then we know but I'm just saying. Shit even do a posse cut with them ala "Live @ the BBQ". Prod. by Jake One or Just Blaze! How bananas would that be? I would sign Jaz O before I would sign jada kiss. That is for sure. Totally off subject but I was thinking AZ is one of the most underrated rappers and would make a good addition to the roc boys.

• However, that's not to say he handled it the best way possible or that he doesn't have fault in it. All in all, they probably all need to just swallow pride or whatever and squash it. It's unfortunate to know that they had such long histories together and it's to this point now.

Agreed, however at this point with Jay being who/where he is he could sign them and make them ROC boys. I understand it goes deeper then we know but I'm just saying. Shit even do a posse cut with them ala "Live @ the BBQ". Prod. by Jake One or Just Blaze! How bananas would that be? I would sign Jaz O before I would sign jada kiss. That is for sure. Totally off subject but I was thinking AZ is one of the most underrated rappers and would make a good addition to the roc boys.

Jay is on some trying to find stars shit at this point. Unfortunately he doesn't really care if they can rap or not. I was listening to some of Jaz's new shit and it was sounding dope to me. He still has it especially on the beats. Sauce had a lot of dope punchlines in the 90's, but I guess being old and weighin 400 pounds isn't really attractive for labels right now.

• However, that's not to say he handled it the best way possible or that he doesn't have fault in it. All in all, they probably all need to just swallow pride or whatever and squash it. It's unfortunate to know that they had such long histories together and it's to this point now.

If only he adopted the same policy for Bleek...

• Also, I would guess that Jay Z is trying to "find" that next "guy". All of these guys (jaz, sauce, etc..) are established in the game and I suppose he is just trying to find the "next" thing. I dont think that means abandon your team but this is probably a part of it. Plus I've heard that they (both sauce and jaz) were offered deals with roc-a-fella but they opted not to take them because they didn't feel the money or the deal was right.

Also, I would guess that Jay Z is trying to "find" that next "guy". All of these guys (jaz, sauce, etc..) are established in the game and I suppose he is just trying to find the "next" thing. I dont think that means abandon your team but this is probably a part of it. Plus I've heard that they (both sauce and jaz) were offered deals with roc-a-fella but they opted not to take them because they didn't feel the money or the deal was right.

I heard that as well. Oh well it is what it is. I agree with Jake that Jaz O still got it even in his 40's! With the beats AND rhymes. Very rare these days. I did see Sauce recently and couldn't beleive how fat he was.

While we are at it WHY does Hov ride so hard for Bleek?

• Also, I would guess that Jay Z is trying to "find" that next "guy". All of these guys (jaz, sauce, etc..) are established in the game and I suppose he is just trying to find the "next" thing. I dont think that means abandon your team but this is probably a part of it. Plus I've heard that they (both sauce and jaz) were offered deals with roc-a-fella but they opted not to take them because they didn't feel the money or the deal was right.

I heard that as well. Oh well it is what it is. I agree with Jake that Jaz O still got it even in his 40's! With the beats AND rhymes. Very rare these days. I did see Sauce recently and couldn't beleive how fat he was.

Oh no doubt, Jaz is still ill. I booked him for Scribble Jam this year and it was great to have him out and see him rock. He did his thing from the old to the new and he held it down. The new stuff I heard has all been pretty fresh.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I was really feelin' the songs on his MySpace page. Dude has been holdin' it down for years in relative darkness. So often, talent goes unheralded, while catchy, corny shit makes millions. Who needs depth when you can clock the new shades, sneakers, jewelry, or coat the artist is wearing since that's more important than the music on the CD, right?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• almost forgot here are those freestyles from '95:

Big Jaz-D&D Freestyle #1 with Evil D (Halftime Inst)
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/wg1z69

Big Jaz-D&D Freestyle #2 with Evil D
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/ycci76

as an added bonus, here's a great Jaz track from '01/'02 (somewhere around there). Top-notch lyrics.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/x0mc6v

• While we are at it WHY does Hov ride so hard for Bleek?

true love

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Triple rap

Thanks guys. I heard him for the firt time a couple weeks ago. Not really sure how I missed out for so long. I'm all about rappers with ill cadence. Fast rapping is usually* good rapping.

• Big Jaz-D&D Freestyle #2 with Evil D

Thanks mate, but the second freestlye doesn't seem to work ?

• Jay Tried to Sign Jaz, but he wouldn't take the deal. Even Jaz stated Jay ,Dame and Kareem Biggs tried to give him a 150,000 deal to to do an album and he felt disrespected because he felt it should have been for more.

Well, in 2007 you don't pay Stacy Augmon a salary comparable to Carmelo Anthony's...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Big Jaz-D&D Freestyle #2 with Evil D

Thanks mate, but the second freestlye doesn't seem to work ?

Hi Mao, you just have to add ".mp3" at the end of the file name.
    Do it and let me know.