Record of the Year

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Dunno if this has been covered already, but here's some of my nominees:Five 12"s for the Club:Moodymann - I'd Rather Be Lonely[/b] (with Technology... also released this year, Moodymann has been on good form. This fooker can be played at almost any time, anywhere, and always gets a good reaction, and with two distinct 'halves' I sometimes find myself playing this twice in a night)Tony Allen - Kilode [Carl Craig remix][/b] (another Detroit producer shows that 'class is permanent' as Liverpool fans are fond of reminding their more successful rivals. Lovely b-line on this)Johnny Osborne - unknown [Chopstick Dubplate][/b] (in a year that has seen a brilliant revival of authentic/good ragga jungle, this one is on top; Sleng Ten riddim, sing-along vocals, and banging, crashing beats - pure FIYAAA)Inverse Cinematix - Seven By Seven [Dave De Gato's Bad Arse Tapas Remix][/b] (bouncy, militant, jazz-noir for the club, builds and builds and builds...)Bob Marley - African Herbsman [Panoptikan remix][/b] (Panoptikan manage a backing beat that is slightly alien, and cold, and shouldn't really work with the warm, emotive lyrics, but it does for me, adding new meaning to "how deep we have to fall")Five 7"s for early doors:Grand Magneto - Night Fever/Tainted Love[/b] (I like the jaunty, acoustic "Tainted Love", my girlfriend prefers the nodding "Night Fever", both covers are great)Azymuth - Linha Do Horizonte [Mr Beatnik remix][/b] (this, now this I say, is dreamy bliss)Nostalgia 77 - Little Steps[/b] (great boombap jazz thing with the most divine horn section I've heard in a bit)The Dynamics - Miss You[/b] (corking Stones cover with beautiful harmonies)Lightning Head - Abyssinia Rising[/b] (this oddity never fails to get a remark. It sounds incredibly lo-budget, jaunty, and original; imagine Money Mark on decent pills and you'd be halfway there, and that's before Aphex Twin steps in on the tremolo)There's still some of 2007 left, so my top ten may be subject to change. What are other peoples stand-outs?

Comments

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

Inverse Cinematix - Seven By Seven [Dave De Gato's Bad Arse Tapas Remix][/b] (bouncy, militant, jazz-noir for the club, builds and builds and builds...)

hey, thanks a lotfor bigging me up.. but it`s still "cinematics" ;-)

good selection mate. luv the moodymann tune.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    can you clarify what this:

bouncy, militant, jazz-noir for the club
    exactly means?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

exactly means?

You'll need to give it a listen to find out. Maybe inVrs should be allowed to blow his own trumpet?

From my own experience, I found that it's a bolshy-sounding march played by a jazz band or something with a lot of horns, very syncopated, the build-up takes ages, filtering parts, swirling the sounds around into a dizzying crescendo, and then it drops back into line again, then the beats kick-in, the head-nod is causing sciatica, and the vocal hook comes in "they're killing us one by one, two by two, three by three, four by four, five by five, six by six, seven by seven... we gotta fight back... fight back... fight back... one by one" etc, and around this point, the huge sub-bass kicks in, mirroring the parping horns with bottom-end flatulence to floor a hippo, horns and beats are filtered, the swirling is by now making you feel giddy, the insistant demagog-vocal is still calling for action, the walls of the club are vibrating, you look at the surface of your drink and you realise that the T-Rex from Jurassic park is dancing and then the place goes a bit bananas.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    What are we talking about here? Like, for real? record of the year any genre?

Bob marley remixes? A Frickin' bob marley remix is the greatest piece of music released in the last 12 months?

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

Bob marley remixes? A Frickin' bob marley remix is the greatest piece of music released in the last 12 months?

what did i miss in 2007? to me this year was not that rich, musically.
    some good albums&singles, but nothing groundbreaking.

thanks for the review of my track, sound like you really dig it.
    if only more people thought so.. selling vinyl is tough these days.

Not thee[/b] greatest, but one of my favourite singles. Haven't really bought many LPs this year, but could also list compilations, DJ mixes, re-issues whatever. As it says, 5 12"s for the club.

I don't really do indie/guitar bands, stopped listening to rap ages ago, and I found most of the best things coming out are re-edits of old gold.

what did i miss in 2007? to me this year was not that rich, musically.
    some good albums&singles, but nothing groundbreaking.
    Exactly. Spent this year having to pick and choose, while in past years there might have been one artist I liked enough that I'd have jumped on their album, singles, remixes etc. (e.g. Quantic circa Mishaps Happening LP)

What do you recommend?

What have I missed this year?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

exactly means?

You'll need to give it a listen to find out. Maybe inVrs should be allowed to blow his own trumpet?

From my own experience, I found that it's a bolshy-sounding march played by a jazz band or something with a lot of horns, very syncopated, the build-up takes ages, filtering parts, swirling the sounds around into a dizzying crescendo, and then it drops back into line again, then the beats kick-in, the head-nod is causing sciatica, and the vocal hook comes in "they're killing us one by one, two by two, three by three, four by four, five by five, six by six, seven by seven... we gotta fight back... fight back... fight back... one by one" etc, and around this point, the huge sub-bass kicks in, mirroring the parping horns with bottom-end flatulence to floor a hippo, horns and beats are filtered, the swirling is by now making you feel giddy, the insistant demagog-vocal is still calling for action, the walls of the club are vibrating, you look at the surface of your drink and you realise that the T-Rex from Jurassic park is dancing and then the place goes a bit bananas.

wow! another fan!
    big dude!

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

exactly means?

wow! another fan!
    big dude!

hahaha :-)
    how was the show saturday? did u check dj sheep?
    i got wasted somewhere else.

i just compiled this for some mag, although i have to admit that there may be MUCH better records out this year, i simply didnt spend trhat much time listening to new stuff

Albums:

1. Kathy Diamond - Miss Diamond to you
    2. Trusme - Working Nights
    3. Karizma - A Mind of its own
    4. New world aquarium - The Dead Bears
    5. Rednose Distrikt - 2nd Album

Singles:

1. Motor City Drum Ensemble - Breath Control
    2. Moodymann - I`d rather be lonely
    3. Hot Chip - No Fit State (Audion Remix)
    4. Steffen Baldo - Social Distortion
    5. Slowhouse - One

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

how was the show saturday? did u check dj sheep?
    i got wasted somewhere else.

we traded records inside the club and listened to some stuff on the big system. the show was awesome. but the place sucked although we got free drinks all night (thanks bev!). you should hook sheep up next time

fuck germany!!! fotzen only!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Well... I did my list yesterday in this thread.

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1003815&an=0&page=2#Post1003815

I'm not understanding why other strutters aren't so quick to talk abou this yet?

- spidey

• My favorite records of 07 are (a couple came out in 06 but late in the year...):

1. MIA ??? KALA
    2. NO AGE - WEIRDO RIPPERS
    3. BLACK LIPS - GOOD BAD NOT EVIL
    4. JAY REATARD - BLOOD VISIONS (06)
    5. LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver
    6. Cheeseburger ??? Cheeseburger
    7. The Clipse ??? Hell Hath No Fury (06)
    8. BATTLES - MIRRORED
    9. TIMES NEW VIKING - Present the Paisley Reich
    10. SPOON - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
    11. DEVIN THE DUDE ??? Waiting to exhale
    12. SOILED MATTRESS & THE SPRINGS

Singles:

hmmm...so far that new snoop shit and that's it???

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

sampler, so no real album but definitely real important

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts

3. Hot Chip - No Fit State (Audion Remix)

PLAESE to elaborate on this "band"....I saw them live in Dallas and didn't make it past 4 songs before I had to leave. I swear one of the dudes looked like he did a line off his keyboard onstage and the whole concert sounded like an audio clusterf*ck. Maybe I just caught them on a bad night.....Hot steaming pile of might have been a more adequate name.

selling vinyl is tough these days.

Got mp3s? Nothing useful came up on google. I like the description, so if the mp3s are good, you can sell some vinyl to me.

There's a sound clip here:

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/266688-01.htm&highlight=inverse%20cinematics

Thing is, I have no idea if ^^that'll^^ do it justice; as I said above, the thing takes about four minutes for the drums and bass-line to come in. It is a great record to play out LOUD though.

sampler, so no real album but definitely real important

Is that the Paperchaser track? I've been caning the instrumental of that in the clubs too > analogue is so very 'now'! (coming off the bench 6th man award related)

Well... I did my list yesterday in this thread.

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1003815&an=0&page=2#Post1003815

I'm not understanding why other strutters aren't so quick to talk abou this yet?

- spidey

Cool choices - I wasn't sure whether Young Folks is allowed? I heard it was released a couple of years back but we've all been sleeping.

Re: inVrs

2. Trusme - Working Nights

This is growing on me. The Marvin Gaye one, WAR, is cool, and I really like the title track.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    RE: Hot Chip

yes, i dont like them at all. The Audion remix however is totally different.
    Matthew Dear is on a roll with his crazy, druggy post-techno/house.
    Ever been to Berlin? Maybe you should check it out.

The Beat Dimensions, yes, a killer package. Jay did a very nice job!

Trumse for me was one of the highlights this year.. nothing brand new, but done very nicely. i love KDJ & parrish, so this is definatly my cup of tea.
    (maybe besides that track sampling mcneal&niles "summer time".. the rest is VERY strong)

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

Is that the Paperchaser track? I've been caning the instrumental of that in the clubs too > analogue is so very 'now'! (coming off the bench 6th man award related)
    no, paperchaser is the o.boogie 12". the tom trago and mweslee remix is finding rush hour was the thing this year...
    hot chip is dope. maybe the best concert in 06...
    and i need to get an inverse cinematics 12 too, i'm late

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    And another:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=981190&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

I also add Sole and the Skyrider Band's album to my list there.

Macaca, I've only heard I'm Not off of that Panda Bear album, and i was really digging it. I like more etheral landscape type stuff like that over traditional song structures. Would you recommend the album?