Michael Jackson's THRILLER turns 25

empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Hey! I'm 31. I remember when I was in kindergarten - kids were skipping school to watch the premier of this video on something called the MTV. I wasn't rich, so I caught the making of it later on tape - Beta Max, sucka!http://youtube.com/watch?v=AtyJbIOZjS8NOT GUILTY, y'all gotsta feel me!

Comments

• It was great, but me, at 11, thought he was selling out a bit because Off The Wall was the jam. Of course when he did the moonwalk on TV he changed the game.

• I remember my dad coming home late at night with the vinyl, waking me up to listen to the album on headphones. It blew my 5 year old mind. I am also proud to say I've seen the making of Thriller so many times I know it by heart.

"He's just down to earth, and thats the way I want him to be, down to earth."

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i remember not knowing who the president of the US was, but i knew michael jackson, and i still remember all of our friends watching the "Making of" video together on TV

• I remember my dad coming home late at night with the vinyl, waking me up to listen to the album on headphones. It blew my 5 year old mind. I am also proud to say I've seen the making of Thriller so many times I know it by heart."

Wow, that's gotta be a killer memory. Don't relate to my dad at all on that level...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Best video ever.

"Thriller" is really just a super slick boogie track. Quincy was/is the man.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I remember being so inspired to dance to this album that I got so out of hand that I stepped on my Millennium Falcon.

• After a long hiatus from the spotlight, Michael Jackson is back and in good company, dropping a new edition of his Thriller album that will feature remixes with Kanye West, Akon and will.i.am.

In celebration of the 25th anniversary of MJ's record-breaking release, Epic/Legacy Recordings will drop Michael Jackson 25th Anniversary of Thriller on Feb. 12. In addition to remixes by Kanye, Akon and will.i.am the set will also include rare and unreleased material from the time period.

For the new edition, Jackson personally mixed and mastered "For All Time," a previously unreleased song recorded during the making of Thriller which was left off the original set. Jackson's original "Billie Jean" demo is also included, along with rare cuts "Carousel" and "Someone in the Dark."

Among the remixes is a new version of "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" featuring Akon and will.i.am, the Kanye West remix of "Billie Jean" and will.i.am's remixes of "The Girl Is Mine" and "P.Y.T."

Jackson's alliance with the Black Eyed Peas frontman comes as no surprise, MJ previously told reporters he was enlisting will.i.am to work on his still-untitled comeback project.

Thriller's 25th Anniversary Edition also includes a bonus DVD with the videos for "Beat It," "Billie Jean," and "Thriller" as well as performance footage of Jackson singing "Billie Jean" for NBC's 1983 special "Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever."

News of a new edition follows on the heels of a rash of new activity within the Jackson camp. As SOHH previously reported, Thriller's 25th anniversary also inspired Ebony Magazine to put Jackson on this month's cover. Jermaine Jackson also recently told BBC News reporters that the Jackson 5, including Michael, are planning to launch a reunion tour in 2008.

The track list for Michael Jackson 25th Anniversary of Thriller is listed below:

"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'

"Baby Be Mine"

"The Girl Is Mine"

"Thriller"

"Beat It"

"Billie Jean"

"Human Nature"

"P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"

"The Lady in My Life"

"Carousel"

"Someone in the Dark"

"Billie Jean" (demo)

"The Girl Is Mine 2008" with will.i.am

"P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) 2008" with Michael Jackson and will.i.am

"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 2008" with Michael Jackson, Akon and will.i.am

"Billie Jean 2008" with Kanye West

"For All Time"

• Can anyone name an instance where an artist makes an updated version of their hit where they title it with the new date (like "Beat It 2007") and it's actually good?

• More proof that 1982 was the best year ever.

• Can anyone name an instance where an artist makes an updated version of their hit where they title it with the new date (like "Beat It 2007") and it's actually good?

"Rainbow '65" and "Rainbow '80" by Gene Chandler.

And both of those are BETTER than the original 1963 "Rainbow."

when i heard the news of a jackson 5 reunion gig, i was contemplating if i would check that out or not if i had the opportunity. i love jackson 5, but jackson 5 to me is "boy" michael's voice.

i was watching the video "say say say" video the other day and realize now why i've always loved newsboy hats...i used to have an mj button of him in that newsboy hat.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Off The Wall > Thriller

Off The Wall > Thriller

who's even questioning this? there is no question!!!

• Off The Wall > Thriller

I was thinking about this earlier today.

Don't Stop..., Rock with You, Get on the Floor, Off the Wall, I Can't Help It are great. Girlfriend is cheese -- just horrible.

The only bad songs on Thriller are The Girl Is Mine and The Lady in My Life.

Can't agree with you.

• Quincy was/is the man.

• lest we forget rod temperton. guy had such a knack for vocal arrangements

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Off The Wall > Thriller

Off The Wall > Thriller

Don't Stop..., Rock with You, Get on the Floor, Off the Wall, I Can't Help It are great. Girlfriend is cheese -- just horrible.

Can't agree with you.

young, white & disconnected

Off The Wall > Thriller

Can't agree with you.

and Lady in my life is classic anyways.....

This was another thread a minute ago. So really dont want take away from the monster that Thriller is.

Can't agree with you.

Michael Jackson is white.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Off The Wall > Thriller

Can't agree with you.

We could never be friends.

Girlfriend is fresh to def!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

and Lady in my life is classic anyways.....

Good god yes.

Anyway

Off The Wall > Thriller

But this takes nothing away from the monumental achievements of Thriller itself.

• Hey! I'm 31. I remember when I was in kindergarten - kids were skipping school to watch the premier of this video on something called the MTV. I wasn't rich, so I caught the making of it later on tape - Beta Max, sucka!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AtyJbIOZjS8

NOT GUILTY, y'all gotsta feel me!

I remember seeing the debut of this video X-Mas nite on MTV in 82.... U telling me it dropped b4 that?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Bullshit remixes aside, thriller isnt going anywhere. That shit still sounds as fresh as the day it came out. Pretty Frickin' amazing.

Probably the crowning achievement in big budget mass culture pop music, i cant even think of a record that could come out today and have a quarter of the impact that thriller did.

Im definitely not old enough to remember it coming out with any accuracy, but i do remember seeing at least one copy in every record collection. Doesnt matter what other music people were even into, you had thriller. And still today, if theres anybody on here today that doesnt own it and calls themselves a record collector or a dj or anything, theres really just no excuse.

When you are getting down to a list of really truly immortal records that will still kill it with a crowd of any age in say 50 years time, theres just not much thats Frickin' with thriller.

Off The Wall > Thriller

Can't agree with you.

Yes, u got his rock guitars on for Thriller and got some MTV play for the Caucasoids that overlooked him for the Grammys that he felt he deserved for the masterpiece that Off The Wall was.

Y'all took the bait.

• Off The Wall all day.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Yes, u got his rock guitars on for Thriller and got some MTV play for the Caucasoids that overlooked him for the Grammys that he felt he deserved for the masterpiece that Off The Wall was.

this may be the most unintelligible sentence ive ever read here!