Bell Biv DeVoe - Poison

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
hey, i just was kinda curious about the age group on this board as of late...and im sure u remember how old u were when this song was big. here in toronto, it was huge in grade 5 (1990) and i remember for the talent show at our school, this dude named "Bucky" who used to theif people's baseball caps and had his name or nickname "bucky" spray painted on his acid wash baggy jeans lips synched the tune with a microphone that wasnt plugged in with his side dude doing the running man throughout (at one point they might have touched feet like the kid n' play dance from 'funhouse' but my memory is suspect, i think funhouse came out a year earlier or maybe it was the same year...anyways it was close). there was no song hotter than this in my existence in grade 5. it was cool that Bucky was a brown dude, cause back then brown dudes got no respect at my school, here's to Bucky, the Brown Trailblazer.i was 10.how old were you?

Comments

• 4th grade. the video got played nonstop on mtv that summer along with 'bust a move', 'unskinny bop', 'blaze of glory', and that billy idol song that escapes my memory right now. you know, the one where the red wine gets spilled... haha! good times. that song changed my world. 'never trust a big butt and a smile'...words to live by.

• I was in 7th grade. Thats when you had a myriad of dance moves at your disposal you could do when music was on. Rodger Rabbit, Robocop, Smurf, etc.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I was well into high school when that song hit. I like it more now than I did then. When I was in fifth grade, there was no bigger song than "Jump" by Van Halen.

1. Hold On... Wilson Phillips
    2. Vogue... Madonna
    3. Poison... BBD (peak position)

"Cradle of Love" was that Billy Idol joint.

1. Jump (five weeks at #1)
    2. Karma Chameleon
    3. 99 Luftballoons
    4. Girls Just Want to Have Fun
    5. Thriller
    6. Joanna
    7. Nobody Told Me
    8. Let the Music Play
    9. Wrapped Around Your Finger
    10. An Innocent Man

I'll just say that "Love Train" by the O'Jays was number 1 the week I was born.

The Billboard book is

• 4th grade.

bout the same for me...I bought the cassette at a mall in Chicago.

Also, can someone share this song??? I'd love to hear it again. Anyone seen the episode of Scrubs where Turk lip syncs it?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    8th grade. Making the move from hair metal to Slayer.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I was 21 years old in 1990. I was pumpin' the 1990 classics like "Wake Up," "Bonita Applebum," "Mama Said Knock You Out," "Crossover," "Love's Gonna Get'cha (Material Love)," "Ya Wish Ya Could," "Just to Get a Rep," "Hip-Hop Junkies" and on and on... I was a blunt smokin', Old Gold drinkin', vodka chuggin', ho chaser heading nowhere fast. I got jumped and beat the fucked up that Spring hanging with no-goodas (but got some good ones in there before I broke the fuck out). I paid those muthafuckas back with the Louisville a month later. My motto was: "If I'm gonna whoop your ass, you'll never know it." Anyway, I was working hard-ass labor, back-breakin', dead-end jobs 'cause my folks stop paying my college tuition (fuckin' up in school-related). Then, the epiphany came (uhm, I'm fuckin' up my life, GET SERIOUS!!! I'm gonna be loadin' this truck the rest of my life if I don't go back to college), enrolled back in school in Fall 1990, and graduated Magna Cum Laude three years later. Delivering furniture in hot-ass North Carolina heat makes you study harder, that's why I earned 4.0 GPAs every semester during those three years. I'm a walking story of redemption!!! If my fucked-up ass could turn it around, anyone can.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks, post a pic of your flat top fade or you're softer than TCBY.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Non,

The photos are packed away, plus I wouldn't know how to post 'em anyway. That was way "before-fat" (uh, "got fat" happened to coincide with getting married; coincidence, I think not) when I dunked (klik-klank!!!) on muthafuckas every weekend at the Fort Bragg gyms. Those soldiers couldn't deal with the first step back then!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hahahaha!
    PS I'm glad you enjoying Jersey mang.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    soulmarcosa swears this song marks the generation gap between us - I was 13 when this song was the shit

Hahahaha!
    PS I'm glad you enjoying Jersey mang.

Jerz is fun, mane. Now, I'm just waiting for those housing prices to drop some more by the 1st of the year. I'm missin' my vinyls, all boxed and packed in multiple closets. We're in the apartment on the short stay, so my stereo, vinyls, sampler, and so on will stay packed until we move into "the house." It's driving me mad not having my music handy, just the CDs I held out for the trip over (and a few my bro bought me for my birthday). Music (and beat) withdrawal!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Hey,

I was 21 years old in 1990. I was pumpin' the 1990 classics like "Wake Up," "Bonita Applebum," "Mama Said Knock You Out," "Crossover," "Love's Gonna Get'cha (Material Love)," "Ya Wish Ya Could," "Just to Get a Rep," "Hip-Hop Junkies" and on and on... I was a blunt smokin', Old Gold drinkin', vodka chuggin', ho chaser

ME TOO! LOL

• 4th grade.

• I was well into high school when that song hit. I like it more now than I did then. When I was in fifth grade, there was no bigger song than "Jump" by Van Halen.

I assume we're about the same age, and the same thing is true about "Poison" for me too. I was 16 when it came out and I really kind of hated it. I think at that point I was more in a rock phase along with some rap, but R&B? Hell no. To make things worse, I worked as an usher at a Cinemark movie theater here and our dumbass manager insisted on playing that BBD album every damned day in the theater lobby by the video games. So, I wasn't much into R&B, didn't dig BBD at the time, and had to hear that album every single day I worked, multiple times a day. So yeah, I hated "Poison" at the time.

Of course, by about '94 or so I was getting a lot more into hiphop, and then after that started getting more into contemporary R&B (I've always liked older stuff like Stax/Motown/etc). These days I *love* that old new jack swing stuff, and dig the hell out of older BBD. Funny how times change. My favorite BBD song though is one of the remixes of "Do Me" from the CD single. Not to be confused with this:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I was 19 going on 20 when "Poison" hit.
    I was into it, but more for laughs, because
    the rap in it seemed so laughable compared to
    what I was listening to. Still it was a dance
    classic that year, and a big sing-along-when-drunk
    party classic. ME N THE CREW USED TA DO HER

When I was in 5th grade, these were the top 20 songs
    of they year, which was 1980:

1. Call Me, Blondie
    2. Another Brick In The Wall, Pink Floyd
    3. Magic, Olivia Newton-John
    4. Rock With You, Michael Jackson
    5. Do That To Me One More Time, Captain and Tennille
    6. Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Queen
    7. Coming Up, Paul McCartney
    8. Funkytown, Lipps, Inc.
    9. It's Still Rock And Roll To Me, Billy Joel
    10. The Rose, Bette Midler
    11. Escape (The Pina Colada Song), Rupert Holmes
    12. Cars, Gary Numan
    13. Cruisin', Smokey Robinson
    14. Working My Way Back To You/Forgive Me Girl, Spinners
    15. Lost In Love, Air Supply
    16. Little Jeannie, Elton John
    17. Ride Like The Wind, Cristopher Cross
    18. Upside Down, Diana Ross
    19. Please Don't Go, K.C. and The Sunshine Band
    20. Babe, Styx

I had 45's of the Blondie, Queen & Billy Joel songs

Christopher Cross represent

• Stacks, post a pic of your flat top fade or you're softer than TCBY.

i worked at TCBY. that shit sucked. mad frat beckies wanting fat-free & sugar-free swirls; i would lace with the opposite. i spit in a few, and was tempted to jerk-off in some of those dips.

frozen y.o.g.u.r.t., dolla dolla bill y'all.

• I was 13 in 1990. And I just got back from playing Poison at the spot tonight. Mixed with I Want Her...and it was

word...throw in some Iesha and Is it good to you Teddy Riley bizness and puddles will appear on the dancefloor....

• Anyone got love for the second LP??
    Hootie Mack and Above The Rim were my jams..

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I was 9 or 10 and was all over it.
    I still really like this track.

• I was seven when this song came out. Loved it then; love it now.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    The summer of 1990 I had just graduated from High School, and I had a nice long break, switching from semester to quarter system. I was fired from my job as a bus boy but landed a much easier job at the Aca Joe factory outlet on Townsend in downtown San Francisco. The assistant managers rocked 106 KMEL all day every day, so for me it was definitely the summer of New Jack Swing.

Of course, by mid summer Poison was a little long in the tooth, but they used to play this remix all the time where they changed it to "That Girl is...Dope!". I still get a little nostalgic when I hear it, along with "The Power" by Snap!, "Feels Good" by Tony! Toni! Ton??!, "Hippychick" by Soho.

• Hey,

I was 21 years old in 1990. I was pumpin' the 1990 classics like "Wake Up," "Bonita Applebum," "Mama Said Knock You Out," "Crossover," "Love's Gonna Get'cha (Material Love)," "Ya Wish Ya Could," "Just to Get a Rep," "Hip-Hop Junkies" and on and on... I was a blunt smokin', Old Gold drinkin', vodka chuggin', ho chaser

ME TOO! LOL

ditto, and boy am i glad those days are over. don't regret 'em, but i'm happier getting up at 6 to get records as opposed to going to bed at 6 and having to work at 7.....yo Stacks holla on the PM.

"Feels Good" by Tony! Toni! Ton??!

YES! This song definitely gives "Poison" a run for it's money.

It may be the superior track - the rap is definitely better,
    if still fairly laughable ... "Tony Toni Ton?? has DONE IT AGAIN"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Mocedes the Mellow--that's Pac's stepbrother, later a member of Thuglife and the Outlawz.

Mocedes the Mellow

Ha - that solves a long-standing confusion of mine,
    I didn't know he was saying his name and always thought
    the rap started, "Most ladies are mellow, quite a nice fellow"
    ... and of course that never quite made sense to me ...

• "Feels Good" by Tony! Toni! Ton??!

Mocedes the Mellow--that's Pac's stepbrother, later a member of Thuglife and the Outlawz.

ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

damn i remember the video and when that girl with the uma thurman pulp fiction hair-do would go "oooh oooh baby", that was a turn on, that's sthe sexiest sounding vocal sample of all time, and i knew that as a 10 year old.