Do hipsters like Boom-Bap?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Seriously, I want to know? I got a loft party gig in Williamsburg in a couple week- would it clear the room?

Comments

• I am going to go ahead and assume hipsters love krs-1.

• only ironically

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hipsters don't like anything

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I am going to go ahead and assume hipsters love krs-1.

And yet I think they wouldn't know what to do with Show and AG. Probably because most of them have never heard of DITC, so they're not sure whether they're supposed to like it or not.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Not yet...but they will in about 3 years.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Seriously, I want to know?

I got a loft party gig in Williamsburg in a couple week- would it clear the room?

What kind of hipsters are they? Reformed kufi slappers who listened to de la and tribe in the dorms BITD or new jack fall out boy trendsters that stay up on MIA and Ufie and the closest to hip hip they'll touch/acknowledge is KANYE?

It is important to define their boom bap hip hop era canon of know the ledge.

On the safe side I would load up the s.erato with mad pop hits, ironic 90s r&b crossover dance hits, and new dance stuff like timbaland haha

And don't forget: Hipsters love Daft Punk..and probably biggie/tupac/dre

I play it safe and load it up with JUSTICE, Chromeo, and other hipster-y stuff

• I play it safe and load it up with JUSTICE, Chromeo, and other hipster-y stuff

i always play chromeo (well "Needy Girl"...)but i dont fuck with the latest electro/ french jams. ( i guess i have "we are your friends"- but shit is played...).

But I dont think this will be that "hip"...well maybe

• Not yet...but they will in about 3 years.

Bingo!

• I hear they are HUGE into Texas rap lately. Play the latest ryno, k-rhino, trae, z-ro, face and UGK if you wanna really set it off. seriously.

I hear they are HUGE into Texas rap lately. Play the latest ryno, k-rhino, trae, z-ro, face and UGK if you wanna really set it off. seriously.

^^^Awesome! Is Williamsburg part of Southside Houston in Texas?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Not yet...but they will in about 3 years.

Oh yeah, it's definitely coming. I'm already hearing stories about mysterious parties where hipsters dance to, like, Black Moon and shit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I hear they are HUGE into Texas rap lately. Play the latest ryno, k-rhino, trae, z-ro, face and UGK if you wanna really set it off. seriously.

I OWN YOU.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I'm sure it would be really fuckin easy for the average strutter to cater to the average Hipster Loft Party. Not sure why, just got a hunch.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I'm sure it would be really fuckin easy for the average strutter to cater to the average Hipster Loft Party. Not sure why, just got a hunch.

Oh yeah, it's definitely coming. I'm already hearing stories about mysterious parties where hipsters dance to, like, Black Moon and shit.

Actually i'm waiting for them get into new soul shit.

MO MONEY MO MONEY MO MONEY MONEY IN THE BANK!

• they love the wu tang clan for some reason...

• Make sure u play some dipset...

• Yes, hipsters love boom-bap. Even if they're not familiar with the particular album/song playing, no hipster will question it.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    hipsters don't like anything

deep truth

+[/b]

=[/b]

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Did I just see Mickey Avalon in a commercial with Jermaine Dupri?

Maybe I should go back to sleep.

- spidey

• i know they like tight ass jeans and crazy colored high tops

• i know they like tight ass jeans and crazy colored high tops

and Group Home b-sides? That's the question...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    the hipsters i know hate classic hip hop. i gave a copy of the chi-ali lp to a hipster friend and he was like: "ehhhhhh, this is old music!!!"

and whenevr they play boom-bap at local hipster clubs, i'm the only happy guy at the party. that's happy-happy-joy-joy!

• chi-ali lp to a hipster friend and he was like: "ehhhhhh, this is old music!!!"

i'll take that!

• that chi ali record can be semi-close to unbearable with his squeaky ass voice

No, they like Snoop and NWA actually. Serious.

No, they like Snoop and NWA actually. Serious.

your right! I seem to remember winking/knowing looks while white chicks and their gang signs are thrown in the middle of "Gin and Juice".

I guess Grand Puba never made it to the 'burbs???

wow. my definition of a hipster is REALLY off then. i can't even imagine anyone that i would label a hipster dancing to "buck em down"

I'm so