rap this year....

124»

Comments

• Which previous UGK release had so many guests on it, from Texas or otherwise?

I'm not sure I understand what that has to do with it, it still doesn't answer my question. Is that the sole reason you don't like the album? Because it has guests on it? Do you really feel like the gusts take away from the album?

And the singles from that album sure aren't representative of what core UGK fans expect out of them. The first one...it's bad enough to have Jazze Pha producing it, but to let him kick his own verse??? And while I love International Players Anthem, it has gotten exactly zero play on the radio down here...which shold tell you something about how it being at least somewhat of a mismatch.

Again, UGK chose to work with these folks, they said it themselves. This is not the major label forcing them to have names on their album. This was what UGK wanted. In fact, the b-side of the jazzy pha single is about as UGK as it gets. And that track had a video and everything. And all the "core UGK fans" I know loved the album and the singles. And yes, some of them are from Texas, Houston even, and they grew up there, didn't migrate there... The beauty of the album is that it maintains the UGK aesthetic with a good amount of Pimp C production and the same feel and swing of previous efforts, but it also expands a bit and includes the work of artists in their field that they respect and wanted to work with. It sounds to me like you expect cookie cutter UGK songs with no evolution in the sound. I like the idea that they tried to expand their sound and were successful in maintaining that UGK feel.

Meanwhile, Bun B's Get Throwed and Pimp C's Pourin' Up persist as club staples.

As per previous threads, club experieence does not really equal authnetication for an artist, especially not UGK. Their music is more car music than club music in general, so whether or not they have songs that are popular in the club is pretty irrelvent in the grand scheme of things as far as I'm concerned. I do like those songs a lot though. In fact, I thought Bun B's solo album was one of the best albums that's dropped in the last 3 or 4 years by any rap artist.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

As per previous threads, club experieence does not really equal authnetication for an artist, especially not UGK. Their music is more car music than club music in general, so whether or not they have songs that are popular in the club is pretty irrelvent in the grand scheme of things as far as I'm concerned. I do like those songs a lot though. In fact, I thought Bun B's solo album was one of the best albums that's dropped in the last 3 or 4 years by any rap artist.

^^^^NON-CLUB COMPLIANT

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I'm not sure I understand what that has to do with it, it still doesn't answer my question. Is that the sole reason you don't like the album? Because it has guests on it? Do you really feel like the gusts take away from the album?

I didn't say that I don't like the album or don't recognize that it has quality material on it...I just don't find myself wanting to listen to the album all that much. And there are probably 10 other Texas rap albums that I keep in rotation over that one.

Again, UGK chose to work with these folks, they said it themselves. This is not the major label forcing them to have names on their album. This was what UGK wanted. In fact, the b-side of the jazzy pha single is about as UGK as it gets. And that track had a video and everything. And all the "core UGK fans" I know loved the album and the singles. And yes, some of them are from Texas, Houston even, and they grew up there, didn't migrate there... The beauty of the album is that it maintains the UGK aesthetic with a good amount of Pimp C production and the same feel and swing of previous efforts, but it also expands a bit and includes the work of artists in their field that they respect and wanted to work with. It sounds to me like you expect cookie cutter UGK songs with no evolution in the sound. I like the idea that they tried to expand their sound and were successful in maintaining that UGK feel.

It's what UGK wanted after already doing the Bun B solo record (which was absolutely dragged down by too many guests IMO) and understanding that so many guests is what the label is always going to prescribe nowadays. Did UGK do a decent job selecting which guests would fill the assmued, if not overt label quota? I guess...but I'm still not into it.

And are you really trying to call me out as half-a-Texan? I "migrated" to Houston as a sophomore in high school. I graduated from a Texas high school. I graduated from a Texas college. I've lived in this state for 15 years now. I own a home here and I know people far beyond the tourist traps that I would say that even this particular UGK album assumes.

Car music and club music are synonomous down here in Texas. And to rule out the club experience when scrutinizing Texas rap is paramount to missing the yacht entirely. Basically, if your Texas rap song isn't played in clubs on the regular...it's simply not a classic song in any way that I can surmise. Maybe it's a good song, but not classic.

And to make the distinction, there is a big difference between a club that plays 50 Cent, Kanye, Jay-Z, etc and then slips in UGK's Stop n Go versus a club that plays Big Moe, Lil Keke, Fat Pat, Z-Ro, Lil O, Pimp C's Pourin' Up, and Bun B's Get Throwed, etc..

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Pimp C's Pourin' Up persist as club staples.
    i dropped that a couple months ago and got crickets. (i played "murder" around last call and people were eating it up. san diego is weird.)

i dropped that a couple months ago and got crickets. (i played "murder" around last call and people were eating it up. san diego is weird.)

Pourin' Up was probably new to their ears and on top of that it fosters a promethazine-related vibe which might not be their cup of tea, while Murder is tried and true in every way.

Glad to hear you playing those songs in Diego though, that's for sure.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

where did you spin in san diego? I would be pleasantly surprised to hear anything UGK-related spun there.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    stop n go is kind of an anomaly on the ugk record. I'm w/ harvey that i prefer UGK being UGK but that UGK record really doesn't have that many guests on it - at least not that many that fuck w/ the original UGK formula. i mean ok ... you fastforward thru dizzee + pimpin ken, skip stop n go ... maybe you don't like lil jon on the original version of 'like that.' but what else on this record sounds like them 'pushing boundaries' (aka using current club sounds and sounding boring as a result)? I love the record, and mostly because it sounds so much like their other ones.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I agree w/ the new vs. tried and true point- but i think i was trying to say that if "Pourin' Up" is indeed a club staple, it's probably a regional thing-- and everyone was super shitfaced by the time I played "murder", which may have had something to do with the more positive reception, I would venture to say less than 50% of the people in the place (small venue) knew what/who it was.

but, yeah, I play that sort of thing from time to time. (I do get the gasface from time to time too.)

stop n go is kind of an anomaly on the ugk record. I'm w/ harvey that i prefer UGK being UGK but that UGK record really doesn't have that many guests on it - at least not that many that fuck w/ the original UGK formula. i mean ok ... you fastforward thru dizzee + pimpin ken, skip stop n go ... maybe you don't like lil jon on the original version of 'like that.' but what else on this record sounds like them 'pushing boundaries' (aka using current club sounds and sounding boring as a result)? I love the record, and mostly because it sounds so much like their other ones.

You know, in the end my little crusade here isn't about Underground Kingz being a subpar album. It's more about people using it as some sort of Texas rap pass that's apparently supposed to cover up years of ignoring even more currently-pertinent-to-the-region artists that have srpung up since Ridin Dirty.

It's the same phenomenon that occured surrounding Scarface's The Fix. Far too many tend to put the safe bet on such a lofty pedestal that it gets kinda fratboy lame to me.

And while I know some of y'all just like the album honestly, and please believe me that I'm not tyring to step on that at all...I'm just proactively guarded like that.

I agree w/ the new vs. tried and true point- but i think i was trying to say that if "Pourin' Up" is indeed a club staple, it's probably a regional thing-- and everyone was super shitfaced by the time I played "murder", which may have had something to do with the more positive reception, I would venture to say less than 50% of the people in the place (small venue) knew what/who it was.

Then the promethazine factor it is...and with that, I fully recognize Pourin' Up to be a regional hit, in that I don't expect people outside of Texas/Louisiana to jump all over it. More power to them if they do, but I'm not holding my breath.

• stop n go is kind of an anomaly on the ugk record. I'm w/ harvey that i prefer UGK being UGK but that UGK record really doesn't have that many guests on it - at least not that many that fuck w/ the original UGK formula. i mean ok ... you fastforward thru dizzee + pimpin ken, skip stop n go ... maybe you don't like lil jon on the original version of 'like that.' but what else on this record sounds like them 'pushing boundaries' (aka using current club sounds and sounding boring as a result)? I love the record, and mostly because it sounds so much like their other ones.

You know, in the end my little crusade here isn't about Underground Kingz being a subpar album. It's more about people using it as some sort of Texas rap pass that's apparently supposed to cover up years of ignoring even more currently-pertinent-to-the-region artists that have srpung up since Ridin Dirty.

It's the same phenomenon that occured surrounding Scarface's The Fix. Far too many tend to put the safe bet on such a lofty pedestal that it gets kinda fratboy lame to me.

And while I know some of y'all just like the album honestly, and please believe me that I'm not tyring to step on that at all...I'm just proactively guarded like that.

You're basically arguing a point that nobody here is making. Nobody is trying to say that UGK's newest album is the benchmark standard to be able to say you listen to texas rap. This thread is about rap albums, this year, that are good. So if you're saying Underground Kingz is good, then there's no argument. This ain't really about anything else.

As far as other artists in the region from past years, I think most people who get into UGK (whether based off of hearing the new shit or ridin' dirty or the pocket full of stones single or even big pimpin' or whatever) are eventually going to hear the other TX stuff and get on the wagon. I don't know anybody who would claim to be a fan of TX rap who only knows about UGK and doesn't fuck with Rap-a-lot/Screwed Up/Swishahouse/etc shit as well. If they did, I would certainly feel similarly on that subject. I don't even consider myself "connected" with Texas rap, I just like a lot of what I've heard over the years and I continue to learn about it. No shame in admitting that. Anybody who tries to lie on that to be "down" is just corny anyway. I actually do appreciate when you post up about new shit happening down there cuz there's usually something in what you post that I can dig.

You're basically arguing a point that nobody here is making. Nobody is trying to say that UGK's newest album is the benchmark standard to be able to say you listen to texas rap. This thread is about rap albums, this year, that are good. So if you're saying Underground Kingz is good, then there's no argument. This ain't really about anything else.

As far as other artists in the region from past years, I think most people who get into UGK (whether based off of hearing the new shit or ridin' dirty or the pocket full of stones single or even big pimpin' or whatever) are eventually going to hear the other TX stuff and get on the wagon. I don't know anybody who would claim to be a fan of TX rap who only knows about UGK and doesn't fuck with Rap-a-lot/Screwed Up/Swishahouse/etc shit as well. If they did, I would certainly feel similarly on that subject. I don't even consider myself "connected" with Texas rap, I just like a lot of what I've heard over the years and I continue to learn about it. No shame in admitting that. Anybody who tries to lie on that to be "down" is just corny anyway. I actually do appreciate when you post up about new shit happening down there cuz there's usually something in what you post that I can dig.

People seem to stop at what is released on majors...which is a shame.

But yeah, I've known you to be good people in this department, so I ain't mad at cha.

• focus-group rap

NEW GENRE ALERT!

• Honestly, I've been digging a lot of the acts on the Rawkus 50 promotion. I bought 3rd Brillyance and Chuck Taylor's joints and I'm really feeling Atllas, Spit Supreme and East. Other than that, I've just been getting up on a lot of unsigned acts around the world (Reach, Adad). Oh, that Marco Polo release was bumpin.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    1)Freeway
    2)Common
    3)Redman
    4)Jay-Z
    5)Kweli

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Turf Talk

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Dizzy Rascal,

f'really? I'm suprised soulstrut didn't fall over itself trying to "clon"

I haven't heard the album & I don't know if I want to, but there is one stomper on there. Got the same Lyn sample as It Takes 2 & dude is rapping like a British Mush Mouth. It's amazing.

Skipping forward to next year...

Yep, that's a Z-Ro and Trae duo album on its way with a couple of very promising songs from it already floating about...

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Dizzy Rascal,

f'really? I'm suprised soulstrut didn't fall over itself trying to "clon"

I haven't heard the album & I don't know if I want to, but there is one stomper on there. Got the same Lyn sample as It Takes 2 & dude is rapping like a British Mush Mouth. It's amazing.

That's a dope tune! It's called Old School. Lyn Collins and Galactic Force Band are the samples.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Got the same Lyn sample as It Takes 2 & dude is rapping like a British Mush Mouth. It's amazing.

That's a dope tune! It's called Old School. Lyn Collins and Galactic Force Band are the samples.

Isn't that song called "Pussy Hole"?

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Got the same Lyn sample as It Takes 2 & dude is rapping like a British Mush Mouth. It's amazing.

Isn't that song called "Pussy Hole"?

"Pussyole (Old School)"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Devin the Dude
    Redman
    Yesterday's New Quintet
    T.I.

Half of UGK &

ansd a third of....

WC, Ice Cube, Common,Kanye West, albums

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    you really like all the t.i. but only half the ugk?

• Yesterday's New Quintet

why would you classify this as rap?
    it has no rappitys.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    you really like all the t.i. but only half the ugk?

Im scurred to get into w/ u over UGK.

I skip half of the UGK.

And no, I dont like all of T.I.- maybe i should have put it w/ the half group.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    does anyone here still skip 'half' the ugk or think it should have been one disc??? be honest

Re: rap this year....

FunkyFlatulent Said:

The best album this year was DJ STATIK SELEKTAH - SPELL MY NAME RIGHT. It was a comp so I know it's hard to count, but i found it better than anything else.
    i slept on this it was banging. his 2nd one is ok but not as good

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Gucci Mane (do not hate)
    07 was just the beginning ... he owned 08

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    lmao @ dudes hating on ugk & giving dap to fukkin blu & exile & shitty Common records

lmao @ that

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    10 votes
    Beanie Sigel ?? The Solution #490 ?? 2 votes
    Bone Thugs N Harmony ?? Strength and Loyalty #490 ?? 2 votes
    DJ Jazzy Jeff et al ?? The Return of the Magnificent #490 ?? 2 votes
    Freeway ?? Free at Last #147 ?? 9 votes
    Prodigy ?? Return of the Mac #105 ?? 13 votes
    Scarface ?? Made #207 ?? 6 votes
    Styles P ?? Ghost Sessions #741 ?? 1 vote
    Trae ?? Life Goes On #490 ?? 2 votes
    Twista ?? Adrenaline Rush 2007 #741 ?? 1 vote