rap this year....

Comments

• Seems to me like you just don't like rap music anymore.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    and I get money was kinda hot.

yep - especially the Luda version.

I agree with a lot of the music mentioned on here - the UGK and Freeway especially.

Sheeeit - I'm not even a Common fan really and I liked that. I can't get enough of The People.

• Im glad to see alot of yall are still enjoying this stuff. but to me it was a pretty half assed year.

seriously? rich boy? twista?

I dont hear it.

I liked.

prodigy - this album was cool. not mindblowng, but kinda hot.

american gangster - growing on me.

Kanye west - classic.

Common - had some good tracks. Southside was the shit.

Curtis - I liked the jake one beats. and I get money was kinda hot.

The ugk single was cool, ummm....theres a couple joints on the freeway album, mabye a mixtape cut or two from wayne.

thats about it,
    I couldn't agree more. I thought it was a below average year aside from a couple releases.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    do you also go to hollywood clubs and wonder why they don't play rapps?

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Seems to me like you just don't like rap music anymore.

That's really not the case, though. I love rap music. I get excited by all sorts of new shit I hear and, despite plenty of opposition, I still advocate pretty damn hard for some of the new directions the music has been moving in recent years. I just don't have the same passion and energy for hunting down and possessing every odd track that reaffirms rap's relevancy for me.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

That's really not the case, though. I love rap music. I get excited by all sorts of new shit I hear and, despite plenty of opposition, I still advocate pretty damn hard for some of the new directions the music has been moving in recent years. I just don't have the same passion and energy for hunting down and possessing every odd track that reaffirms rap's relevancy for me.

Why is rap's relevancy constantly at risk of needing to be reaffirmed for you?

That sounds like a really weird way to be a fan of a music.

• I just don't have the same passion and energy for hunting down and possessing every odd track that reaffirms rap's relevancy for me.

Yeah but that's not the same thing as not buying (or downloading) any albums at all the entire year, but I digress...

I have about enough time and interest to listen to roughly 5-10 new rap albums a year, still bump the old ones I really like from the previous year or two, and stay up on the mixtapes. If there were more than 10 "must have" albums dropping a year, I probably wouldn't be able to keep up. I might be one of the few people who actually enjoys what you all seem to consider a lack of good releases. There's just enough coming out to keep me happy. One or two more wouldn't hurt, but I am definitely not mad.

In fact, there's probably plenty more shit coming out that I would enjoy, but as was stated above me here, I don't really have the passion (or more realistically, the time) to go hunting down rap music I'm not currently aware of because I have enough to satisfy me without having to do that. I save the hunting/discovering for other types of music.

Is that weird? To seek out things that have relevance in your life? Things that remind you of why you like that sort of thing?

Do you seek out things that don't seem relevant to you?

Is that weird? To seek out things that have relevance in your life? Things that remind you of why you like that sort of thing?

Rap is rap...overall, not much has changed in 30 years.

For me, it's really not hard at all to find things in rap that are relevant to my life. Possibly, that's why I've always been so into local rap wherever it is that I've lived. And there really isn't much searching that has gone into it.

I dunno, to each their own...but it seems like what other dude implied might be true...that you really don't like rap and you have possibly been forcing yourself to like it out of vanity for the past 20 years.

And I know that sounds condescending, and I apologize for it, but your orientation to rap as described in this thread seems even more condescending than that.

Rap, you better prove yourself to me for the 1,000th time, or we're through...

I just don't have the same passion and energy for hunting down and possessing every odd track that reaffirms rap's relevancy for me.

Yeah but that's not the same thing as not buying (or downloading) any albums at all the entire year, but I digress...

I have about enough time and interest to listen to roughly 5-10 new rap albums a year, still bump the old ones I really like from the previous year or two, and stay up on the mixtapes. If there were more than 10 "must have" albums dropping a year, I probably wouldn't be able to keep up. I might be one of the few people who actually enjoys what you all seem to consider a lack of good releases. There's just enough coming out to keep me happy. One or two more wouldn't hurt, but I am definitely not mad.

In fact, there's probably plenty more shit coming out that I would enjoy, but as was stated above me here, I don't really have the passion (or more realistically, the time) to go hunting down rap music I'm not currently aware of because I have enough to satisfy me without having to do that. I save the hunting/discovering for other types of music.

I think you're arguing with the wrong guy, because, as I've said already, I still like new rap. Maybe not as much as I did for the first 10+ years I was a fan (at least two years of which I didn't buy any rap either), but certainly no less than the past five to ten years that I've stayed a fan. The fact that I have only bought two or three new rap releases this year is not intended as a comment on the quality of the releases; it's more of a statement of my being increasingly out-of-touch and less hungry.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I mean, you guys can argue with me about it all day. I love rap music. I make rap beats, all day....

And i would love to just sit back and say with confidence, "stfu noob, rap is fine." But honestly, it all sounds fairly tired right about now. I cant say I dont like it anymore, but i do feel like alot of it is on autopilot, and i would like to hear more solid releases from artists that i consider to be at the top of the genre, and these same artists keep coming out with boring ass albums.

Ive spent years sticking up for it, and im not calling for any revolutionary new direction or a return to some mythical golden age or something, i just wanna hear some good shit!

• Im glad to see alot of yall are still enjoying this stuff. but to me it was a pretty half assed year.

seriously? rich boy? twista?

I dont hear it.

I liked.

prodigy - this album was cool. not mindblowng, but kinda hot.

american gangster - growing on me.

Kanye west - classic.

Common - had some good tracks. Southside was the shit.

Curtis - I liked the jake one beats. and I get money was kinda hot.

The ugk single was cool, ummm....theres a couple joints on the freeway album, mabye a mixtape cut or two from wayne.

thats about it,
    I couldn't agree more. I thought it was a below average year aside from a couple releases.

I'm still bumpin the last Clipse...
    I like the new Devin and i'm waiting for Freeway.
    otherwise

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Alot of it seems to be that rappers are picking really shitty beats. I dunno why this is happening so much. Mabye because theres not as much money to pay for decent production, but i mean, Im a huge camron fan, but the beats hes been getting on? I mean i think kala could do better!

Speaking as someone who makes rap beats, i am constantly looking for new shit to hear to get inspired to work. Something that makes me sit up and be like "how the fuck did they do that?" and im just not hearing it. Mabye its just my inflated ego, but i can honestly say ive got shit in the can over here thats killing 99 percent of the tracks that made it on any of these albums, and thats no lie!

For me, it's really not hard at all to find things in rap that are relevant to my life. Possibly, that's why I've always been so into local rap wherever it is that I've lived. And there really isn't much searching that has gone into it.

I dunno, to each their own...but it seems like what other dude implied might be true...that you really don't like rap and you have possibly been forcing yourself to like it out of vanity for the past 20 years.

And I know that sounds condescending, and I apologize for it, but your orientation to rap as described in this thread seems even more condescending than that.

Jesus. You are brutal with this condescending judgmental crap. It's more like "prove yourself to Harvey Canal or we're through..." All I've said is that I'm not buying so much rap these days and you can take that for what it's worth, but you seem to want to dig out of that some sort of meaning that isn't there. I love my mom's apple pie every bit as much as I love rap, but I'll be damned if I could only eat four slices this Thanksgiving instead of the whole pie I could normally put away back when Illmatic came out. Go figure! My love of pie should go unquestioned, but from the way this interrogation is going, I fully expect your next response to be "it sounds to me like you don't like pie".

I mean, you guys can argue with me about it all day. I love rap music. I make rap beats, all day....

And i would love to just sit back and say with confidence, "stfu noob, rap is fine." But honestly, it all sounds fairly tired right about now. I cant say I dont like it anymore, but i do feel like alot of it is on autopilot, and i would like to hear more solid releases from artists that i consider to be at the top of the genre, and these same artists keep coming out with boring ass albums.

Ive spent years sticking up for it, and im not calling for any revolutionary new direction or a return to some mythical golden age or something, i just wanna hear some good shit!

You aren't listening to it all though. And furthermore too much emphasis is being put on major label albums as the indicator of how rap is doing. But rap was never meant as an album-oriented genre on top of the majors screwing up just about every damned album release with their as-many-cameos-and-all-star-producers-as-possible formats.

Jesus. You are brutal with this condescending judgmental crap. It's more like "prove yourself to Harvey Canal or we're through..." All I've said is that I'm not buying so much rap these days and you can take that for what it's worth, but you seem to want to dig out of that some sort of meaning that isn't there. I love my mom's apple pie every bit as much as I love rap, but I'll be damned if I could only eat four slices this Thanksgiving instead of the whole pie I could normally put away back when Illmatic came out. Go figure! My love of pie should go unquestioned, but from the way this interrogation is going, I fully expect your next response to be "it sounds to me like you don't like pie".

But you are apparently getting my point exactly...it isn't about rap or pie, it's about you.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    screwing up just about every damned album release with their as-many-cameos-and-all-star-producers-as-possible formats.

Massive on this. It's become almost absurd at this point--solo albums with no solo songs! Every producer du jour gets a track! It's like focus-group rap or something.

• majors screwing up just about every damned album release with their as-many-cameos-and-all-star-producers-as-possible formats.

That didn't really seam to be the case this year though. What album dropped in 07 that you wanted to like but didn't because of too many guest artists? I do like when an album is done by mostly one producer, but that doesn't mean it's not good if done otherwise. Look at the Young Buck album. I found that to be a great album with a pretty wide array of producers. It's really not about who is doing what on the album but how well it all fits together, in my opinion.

• Im a huge camron fan, but the beats hes been getting on? I mean i think kala could do better!

I dunno, I thought a lot of the beats he used on that last mixtape were right in line with the whole Dipset style. You may not like that style, but I don't think a lot of those beats are all that different from beats he used for his more recent stuff dating back to Purple Haze.

That didn't really seam to be the case this year though. What album dropped in 07 that you wanted to like but didn't because of too many guest artists?

You ain't seen me much in UGK threads, have you?

• That didn't really seam to be the case this year though. What album dropped in 07 that you wanted to like but didn't because of too many guest artists?

There were a fair amount of guests on there, but none of them really outshined Pimp and Bun at all. They really were there as guests of UGK, not as spots the label insisted on them having to sell the album. The majority of the guests were Texas dudes, and that surprises me that you wouldn't be all for that... The worst guests were Talib, Dizzy Rascal, and SS will get mad at me for this, but KGR and BDK. They didn't belong on the album. Otherwise, it sounded very cohesive and it was an album easily comparable to any previous UGK release. To each his own of course, but this album doesn't really work as an example for your argument.

• Dizzy Rascal,

f'really? I'm suprised soulstrut didn't fall over itself trying to "clon"

• Dizzy Rascal,

f'really? I'm suprised soulstrut didn't fall over itself trying to "clon"

It was more offensive than funny so the clowning probably became comtempt and disgust. Really though, I liked the song he was on but I have to skip when his verse starts because he is so terrible on my ears. Plus, after him, you get this extremely annoying 2 minute Pimpin' Ken rant. It is the worst consecutive 3 minutes on any UGK album ever. Heh.

But you are apparently getting my point exactly...it isn't about rap or pie, it's about you.

Of course it's about me!!! I never said otherwise. In fact I said:

The fact that I have only bought two or three new rap releases this year is not intended as a comment on the quality of the releases; it's more of a statement of my being increasingly out-of-touch and less hungry.

It's you that seems to keep wanting to transform what I said into a comment on the state of rap in 2007. Personally, rap is still my favorite genre of new music by a longshot. Personally, I think I'm oriented towards it just fine and don't need further instruction from you on the subject.

Thanks, though, for taking me on this condescending journey.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Kanye West- Graduation

Jay-Z "Roc Boys"

Wayne/Birdman- Like Father, like son

Still need to listen to the UGK.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

That was released in 2006. Very underappreciated album.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Only on SoulStrut--it was a pretty big record in the real world.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Only on SoulStrut--it was a pretty big record in the real world.

There's a world outside of Soulstrut?

• Sigh. If you guys would just listen to Project Pat, a lot of your concerns are addressed. Focused production, hardly any guest drops.

I MEAN HAVE YOU HEARD THE CHORUS TO 'BULLFROG YAY' ??

That didn't really seam to be the case this year though. What album dropped in 07 that you wanted to like but didn't because of too many guest artists?

There were a fair amount of guests on there, but none of them really outshined Pimp and Bun at all. They really were there as guests of UGK, not as spots the label insisted on them having to sell the album. The majority of the guests were Texas dudes, and that surprises me that you wouldn't be all for that... The worst guests were Talib, Dizzy Rascal, and SS will get mad at me for this, but KGR and BDK. They didn't belong on the album. Otherwise, it sounded very cohesive and it was an album easily comparable to any previous UGK release. To each his own of course, but this album doesn't really work as an example for your argument.

Which previous UGK release had so many guests on it, from Texas or otherwise?

And the singles from that album sure aren't representative of what core UGK fans expect out of them. The first one...it's bad enough to have Jazze Pha producing it, but to let him kick his own verse??? And while I love International Players Anthem, it has gotten exactly zero play on the radio down here...which shold tell you something about how it being at least somewhat of a mismatch.

Meanwhile, Bun B's Get Throwed and Pimp C's Pourin' Up persist as club staples.