rap this year....

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
has been pretty damn good. who would have thought the roc would put out three of the year's best albums? shit i'm feeling this year (in no particular order)eightball and mjg - ridin' highdevin - waiting to inhalehawk - endangered speciesturf talk - west coast vaccineugk - ugktrae - life goes onfederation - it's whatevajay-z - american gangsterfreeway - free at lastbeanie sigel - the solutioni'm sure i missed something so if anyone wants to fill in any blanks, please do so.

Comments

• red gone wild.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    first some H8:

that 8ball and MJG was real disappointing
    so was Devin

other than that i endorse your list, except i'm not up on the new bay shit and i never heard that hawk

UGK is my favorite
    i liked the styles p and prodigy albums a lot
    boss hogg outlawz was hot
    the z-ro 'power' mixtape
    gorilla zoe & boyz n da hood were disappointing but there were some great tracks on both of them
    twista
    i liked the bone thugs record a lot
    royce da 5'9's mixtape was hot
    i though the trill ent. comp with 'wipe me down' had some joints
    plies sounded alright, only heard it through a couple times

i kind of want to hear the cassidy record u_u

i listened to less new rap albums this year.

what did folks think about the young buck record. i liked it at the time but haven't listened since it dropped, except for 4 kings and get buck.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    has been pretty damn good. who would have thought the roc would put out three of the year's best albums? shit i'm feeling this year (in no particular order)

eightball and mjg - ridin' high
    devin - waiting to inhale
    hawk - endangered species
    turf talk - west coast vaccine
    ugk - ugk
    trae - life goes on
    federation - it's whateva
    jay-z - american gangster
    freeway - free at last
    beanie sigel - the solution

i'm sure i missed something so if anyone wants to fill in any blanks, please do so.

Twista, Bone and Prodigy albums were also all real good--year of the veteran. And I am not afraid to say I still really like the Kanye album. Rich Boy and Young Buck both had some schitt.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    rich boy was WACK. two-track album

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i havent listened to twista, bone, or prodigy yet. on that boss hawgs, i've only listened to the single and j-dawgs "ridin on 4s" which i would consider one of the years best tracks.

young buck had that track with bun b and ball and g "say it to my face" which was a monster. rich boy's album had a lot of great tracks but i really can't listen to them cos he sounds worse and worse upon each listen.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Is the Prodigy album you are all referring to "Return of the Mac"? I heard good thang but when did that actually come out? Was it a mixtape album or real release?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    red gone wild.
    i had the mixtape on constant rotation but i never listened to the album yet. i don't know why.

what else do we have that is really coming out this year? wayne, three 6?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    wu tang lol

did anyone rate skyzoo. i liked one song but when i tried to listen to the mixtape it just smelled too much like nyc butthurt

• what else do we have that is really coming out this year? wayne, three 6?

scarface's "m.a.d.e." is supposed to come out on the 4th. i know it's dumb to hope for another album from him as good as "the fix", but i'm loving "girl you know".

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    best of the year

freeway
    jay-z
    kanye
    devin
    royce da 5'9" mix cd
    sean price-jesus price superstar
    prodigy
    marco polo
    blu and exile (1/2 of the album anyway)

worst of the year

percee p
    skyzoo
    little brother
    common

have not heard the beanie or scarface albums but i'm pretty sure they'll end up on my favorites list.

was the ugk realy good? it seems double albums can ALWAYS be cut down to 1.

peace,xavier

• I kind of have to agree that the UGK double could've been cut down to a single, but it's really damn good.

red gone wild.
    i had the mixtape on constant rotation but i never listened to the album yet. i don't know why.

what else do we have that is really coming out this year? wayne, three 6?

Ghostface
    Gucci Mane (do not hate)

Three-six has been pushed back indefinitely; Wayne doesn't have a release date for his album yet either, but is supposed to drop a disc of properly mastered tracks that had previously appeared on mixtapes.

Every track off the Scarface album that I've heard sounds really good.

rich boy was WACK. two-track album

Well, he's no Shawnna.

• Is the Prodigy album you are all referring to "Return of the Mac"? I heard good thang but when did that actually come out? Was it a mixtape album or real release?

real album. beats by alchemist. came out in the spring, if memory serves. it was alright, worth a listen. some real rap shit, but nothing really outstanding.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Isn't Lil Wayne's album release pushed until February now? Some of the leaked tracks have been mindblowing (dreams aka I'm me), whereas some of them are super floppy (see: diamonds and pearls).

Isn't Lil Wayne's album release pushed until February now? Some of the leaked tracks have been mindblowing (dreams aka I'm me), whereas some of them are super floppy (see: diamonds and pearls).

February is the most recent date to circulate, but I imagine that more material will leak as it approaches, and that the album will be pushed back again.

• I kind of have to agree that the UGK double could've been cut down to a single, but it's really damn good.

I still maintain that it is hands down the best/most consistent rap double album I've ever heard.

Re: Young Buck - i kinda forgot that came out this year. Easily a top 5 album for me.

Red Gone Wild, UGK, Young Buck, Devin (for what it is, not compared to other rap releases), those are probably my favorite 4 of the year so far. Honorable mention to Turf Talk dropping the only Bay joint that got on the radar. I dug most of the album, but the skits really annoyed the shit out of me.

• Gucci Mane (do not hate)

Yeeeeaaah. I do dig Gucci Mane. I like that track with Lil' Jon "I'm A J" and I like a few of the other mixtape cuts I heard this year. The TI dis track was pretty funny. Gotta give it to the guy.

• I've been sleeping on the UGK & Freeway album so I can't say "BEST ALBUM THIS YEAR".

I pulled out "Finding Forever" today and only found myself really geaking off of "misunderstodd" and "u black, maybe" (the people, the game, and the other song I like have run it's course). That album wasn't really that great especially after hearing the Kanye joint which is pretty damn amazing.

Co-Sign on the Blu & Exile, really solid joint.

Worst album:
    "Curtis"
    and almost anything madlib/stonesthrow related.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Favorites:

UGK
    Freeway (Not all heat but "It's Over" and "Still Got Love" are bangers)
    Blu & Exile (I was sleeping. Really solid.)
    The Large Pro remix of that Marco Polo joint (album was mediocre)
    Zeph & Azeem (Don't sleep, this isn't your typical independent hip-hop release. Dope record.)
    The Mighty Underdogs (good to hear Gab and Lateef over some quality tracks after a bad album and some awful collaborations. Big ups to Headnodic!)

Unsurprisingly bad records:

Fiddy
    Kanye
    Talib
    Mos Def
    Etc, etc, etc. too many to count/list

Tepid as always:

Common (Sorry but while his other albums are tolerable, this one is just too dull.)

• The only two rap albums from this year that I'd choose to listen to again in their entirety (well... minus skits) are American Gangster and It's Whateva.

There were a lot of other records I sincerely wanted to like-- UGK, Pharoahe Monch, Devin, Redman, Freeway, Trae, 8ball & MJG, Prodigy, Turf Talk, Mos Def, Twista, Trick Daddy-- but aside from a few tracks here and there I thought all of them were pretty disappointing.

• i remember this jr hi teacher i had that was still wearing the disco jumpsuits except he was kinda pear shaped and looked like a bartlett pear cuz he was balding with a lil swoosh of hair on top of his head and all the kids made fun of him and did the travolta finger point to jesus dance behind him when he walked down the hall and fools would give him combs and aquanet for xmas n shit all secret santa stylee.

anyways, some of you dudes need to let the raps go before its too late. id rather hear the fergie album over most the albums listed here. at least u can dance to her shit.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    id rather hear the fergie album over most the albums listed here. at least u can dance to her shit.

I heard the other day that Arabian Prince ghostwrote "Fergalicious." Dunno if there's any bit of truth to that, but it sounds plausible, doesn't it?

• sergserg 682 Posts
    The only two rap albums from this year that I'd choose to listen to again in their entirety (well... minus skits) are American Gangster and It's Whateva.

There were a lot of other records I sincerely wanted to like-- UGK, Pharoahe Monch, Devin, Redman, Freeway, Trae, 8ball & MJG, Prodigy, Turf Talk, Mos Def, Twista, Trick Daddy-- but aside from a few tracks here and there I thought all of them were pretty disappointing.

dude, american gangster over turf talk? I don't know if I even want to know you anymore. american gangster is Frickin' weak.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    To add to those already mentioned...

Gerald G - Mr. 512 mix
    Mr. Blakes - Woodgrain Collection mix
    Black Mike - Mixed Emotions mix
    CVE - Handprints mix
    VIP - Underground Empire
    Slim Gutta - Real Gutta Music (doesn't come out until next year)
    World Trade - Channel One (doesn't come out until next year)

...all good shit.

• dude, american gangster over turf talk? I don't know if I even want to know you anymore. american gangster is Frickin' weak.

a lot of the beats on turf talk's album are great, but i just can't feel his voice-- he sounds too much like a mosquito or maybe dose one.

i think i just got myself uninvited to tamale day.

• Turf Talk
    UGK
    Common
    Kanye
    Freeway
    Young Buck
    Rich Boy

all got much play from me.

• HamHam 872 Posts

Gerald G - Mr. 512 mix
    Mr. Blakes - Woodgrain Collection mix

yes. best albums for me has to be

UGK
    Turf Talk
    Federation
    Jay-Z

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    Favorites:
    Zeph & Azeem (Don't sleep, this isn't your typical independent hip-hop release. Dope record.)
    The Mighty Underdogs (good to hear Gab and Lateef over some quality tracks after a bad album and some awful collaborations. Big ups to Headnodic!)

Agreed about these two joints!

Favorites[/b]...though this year was really :

*Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens in Hell Happy With Your New Imaginary Friend

a few tracks that are iffy, but overall a solid freshman release.

*Dela - Atmosphere Airlines

GREAT mixtape! Large Pro...Apani B...just listen.

*Zeph & Azeem - Rise Up

HIGHLY slept on by anyone outside of the yay area. Azeem is a ridiculous MC.

*Turf Talk - West Coast Vaccine (The Cure)

at first i was a bit skeptical about how this album would hold up...but after repeated listens, it got addicting. not to mention, the cuts are DOPE!

*Devin The Dude - Waitin' To Inhale

great album. the snoop/andre3k track was obviously the . although it's true that if you compared it to any other great rap album, it'd fall short.

Tepid:[/b]

*Jay-Z - American Gangster

fallin...success...wow. the rest of the album isn't bad, but it isn't amazing either. the epitome of tepid.

*UGK - Underground Kingz

a little bit of fat, but otherwise fairly tasty. there were a few too many joints that didn't go down well though. kinda like a well done steak.

*Kanye - Graduation

flashing...lights...lights...lights...say what you will, but the artwork alone was worth the purchase. only 3 tracks i cared about, and they all became singles.

*Common - Finding Forever

it sure wasn't Be. the leaked songs were HOT though, but they got tiresome quickly.

*Ohmega Watts - Watts Happening

i liked the tracks with rapping on em. i'm not digging the instrumentals too much, they really dont belong on that lp.

*Prodigy - Return of the Mac

it's a good hip-hop album, but there's just something about it that's wrong. it's a shame it isn't worth repeated listens or dissection.

*Redman - Red Gone Wild

again, good album...but there's just something about it that isn't worth listening to again.

*Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - Strength & Loyalty

flow motion was amazing. i still can't get over that track, too bad the rest of it was boring.

WEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK:[/b]

*50 Cent - Curtis

asides from the assistance from Jake, the rest of the songs were horrible. not a catchy thumper to be found.

*T.I. - T.I. vs. T.I.P.

*Havoc - The Kush

• i'll admit i didn't have a chance to get familiar with much recent hip hop this year, but from what i did listen to: freeway and little brother are two i was feelin' the most. buck's album had a hot track here and there. i wasn't quick to jump for the 'ye album, but slowly gave it a chance.