Great Moments in Drumming

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I was listening to William Bell's Bound to Happen this weekend and while it's not solid from start to finish, it has some of the best drumming on a record imo - not only the playing, but the sound quality, too. It's a Booker T record, so I'm assuming it's Jackson Jr on drums. So good!!There's years of amazing drumming out there, but other great drumming moments that come to mind are on Mary Wells' 'My Guy' - not sure if it was Benjamin or Allen on the songon Irma Thomas' 'Wish Someone Would Care' (Roger Hawkins?)Tyrone McCullen on the intro to Mayfield's 'Now You're Gone' - well, all of McCullen's work with Mayfieldthe whole EOU LPSly Dunbar liveMark Trombino (Drive Like Jehu) livemost of Carlton Barrett's careerRoy Haynes on Misteriosoplease add on!

Comments

• Charles Moffett on the Golden Circle records. He goes beyond just keeping up with Coleman he matches and even challenges him.

• Independents, "Baby, I've Been Missing You," when the drums drop out for half a verse then jump right back in - "baby, I've been (DRUMS PICK UP) missing you...oh yes!" It's subtle and you'd have to hear it, I don't know if my description does it justice, but it always gets to me in a good way.

Betty Harris, "There's A Break In The Road."

New Birth, "Dream Merchant" (has more rolls than the corner bakery).

Four Seasons, "Dawn."

Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band, "Express Yourself," "Do Your Thing."

Dino Danelli with the Rascals (see New Birth).

Kingsmen, "Louie Louie."

Almost every single ever released on One-Derful, including Harold Burrage's "You've Made Me So Happy," Otis Clay's "Got To Find A Way" and Alvin Cash & the Crawlers'"Twine Time" (Ira Gates just EXPLODES all over that drum kit).

Lawson & Four More, "If You Want Me You Can Find Me" (thanks to whomever posted this Memphis garage-rock nugget on Soul Strut).

Gentrys, "Keep On Dancing."

Sandy Nelson, "Teen Beat."

The Strangeloves, particularly their three big hits, "Cara-Lin," "Night Time" and "I Want Candy."

And if bongos count..."Bongo Rock" (both the Incredible Bongo Band and the original by Preston Epps).

• Irma Thomas' 'Wish Someone Would Care' (Roger Hawkins?)

Somehow, I doubt it...it's got a big-city production that sounds like NY or LA. I thought it was Hal Blaine myself, what with that overmiked snare drum like you always hear on the stuff he did with Phil Spector.

Reminds me of another great drumming moment, "Da Doo Ron Ron" by the Crystals...Blaine just goes OFF.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Irma Thomas' 'Wish Someone Would Care' (Roger Hawkins?)

Somehow, I doubt it...it's got a big-city production that sounds like NY or LA. I thought it was Hal Blaine myself, what with that overmiked snare drum like you always hear on the stuff he did with Phil Spector.

Reminds me of another great drumming moment, "Da Doo Ron Ron" by the Crystals...Blaine just goes OFF.

I should have mentioned I meant the 45 version, which is considerably better in my opinion, more raw. Do you think the 45 version has the same band as the LP version?

• Irma Thomas' 'Wish Someone Would Care' (Roger Hawkins?)

I should have mentioned I meant the 45 version, which is considerably better in my opinion, more raw. Do you think the 45 version has the same band as the LP version?

Well, I have both the 45 and the Imperial album of the same name, and indeed it's the same version.

Unless (and this just dawned on me) you're thinking about that remake she did in the '70s as part of a medley (produced by Swamp Dogg)?

Yes, sorry, the (later) version from In-Between Tears and the 45 on Imperial

• Yes, sorry, the (later) version from In-Between Tears and the 45 on Imperial

either way, youre right, theres some killer drumming on both of em, id say

oh yea! The drummer from Cinematic Orchestra smoked at their live show at Harboufront this past summer.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    The intro to "I'm Glad You're Mine" still gets me.

Let's give it up for the ladies:
    Katrin of the Ex -and-
    Elke from Thank You
    are two of the best drummers going right now.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    The intro to "I'm Glad You're Mine" still gets me.

Let's give it up for the ladies:
    Katrin of the Ex -and-
    Elke from Thank You
    are two of the best drummers going right now.
    i think the drumming on that whole record is solid

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    idris ..prestige years!!!!! i love it when u hear vox's from drummers!

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts

• EkiMEkiM 40 Posts
    OoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooW shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

• tnt band - the meditation

the drums on this record have been killing it for me as of late.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    elvin jones' solo on "pursuance" from 'a love supreme' [/b]

• Levon Helm - Baby Don't Do It

b/w Lets not let this thread die, its the best one on here today.

Christine Doll Rod from the Demolition Doll Rods makes the list for providing a full drum sound with a just a hi-hat, floor tom and snare and for trucking through a set unscathed while beer cans flew past her head at a Toronto show a few years back. And for having to sit behind Danny Doll Rod's skinny and usually naked ass the whole time. But then again, she has terrible eyesight, so she is spared.

• Ringo Starr's solo on "The End"

• Roy Haynes on Misterioso

Roy Haynes, live, right now! Dude is 82 and still absolutely kills it. Go see him while you still can.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    hook n sling dudes. case closed.

or the next ball game.

actually too many to count, but usually any record that is even remotely associated with eddie bo is gonna have some drums...

• 4 bar into to Isley's "Footsteps in the Dark"

• curtis mayfields Curtis/Live album has some of the dopest percussion and drums ive evar heerd yo!

Tyrone McCullen lays down some thick funk on if thaers a hell below

Henry Gibson (bongos, congas, tumbas), also lays it down on this album!

kind of blue - so what , jus tha way jimmy cobbs comes in with that splash on the cimbals and boom thay were off, wile he holds that super fresh n jazzy beet

i saw the directions in music tour
    and jimmy cobb was thaer
    (along with 1 or 2 more originals from that band) and that guy was just layin it down
    and second set they opened with all blues (which opens side b on the album) and towards the end he just had the most amazin drum solo ive witnessed live

made u feel really good to kno these guys are hard at work STILL! playin such graet music to this day

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

• There used to be a video on youtube of a Clyde Stubblefield solo at the James Brown concert in Boston on April 5th, 1968. I can't find it now, but that's a case of a drummer changing history.

• No offense, but the next time somebody posts a long-winded Youtube clip like the one below, I wish like hell they'd identify it before we click "play" ...I mean, Buddy Rich needing surgery ain't no joke, but drawn-out intros like that take a LOOOONG time when you don't know what's coming next...

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    lots of great moments posted...i can't find the Stevie Wonder vid where he just WIIIIILLLD out on the drums. Yea you heard right, for those who didn't see it, i highly recommend it.

• lots of great moments posted...i can't find the Stevie Wonder vid where he just WIIIIILLLD out on the drums. Yea you heard right, for those who didn't see it, i highly recommend it.

Look up 10 posts.

• this book came to mind for this thread. accompanied by a CD with nearly 100 of the classic patterns, played by the author. not quite as hard as the originals though...

and can't leave out the drums on the meters "hand clapping song".