Great Moments in Drumming

2»

Comments

• elvin jones' solo on "pursuance" from 'a love supreme' [/b]

My favorite coltrane record is live at the village vanguard and he's just ridiculous on that.

• Stevie Wonder get down on "reasons" by Minnie R.

and of course I worship the uncredited purdie on "Electric Funk"....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think this was posted before - I'm not up on YouTube as much as others but the clip of Bill Withers doing Ain't No Sunshine with the drummer in the foreground (if memory serves) is rather nice. It's all very mellow and sweet drumming and he plays the camera and demonstrates why sometimes, less is so much more.

• I think this was posted before - I'm not up on YouTube as much as others but the clip of Bill Withers doing Ain't No Sunshine with the drummer in the foreground (if memory serves) is rather nice. It's all very mellow and sweet drumming and he plays the camera and demonstrates why sometimes, less is so much more.

It's James Gadson, right?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    My mistake...I was going to mention that you can see his initial shock at 4:15 and notice him getting winded and disorientated during 4:45-5

I think this was posted before - I'm not up on YouTube as much as others but the clip of Bill Withers doing Ain't No Sunshine with the drummer in the foreground (if memory serves) is rather nice. It's all very mellow and sweet drumming and he plays the camera and demonstrates why sometimes, less is so much more.

Yes! Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZwKUxjVxB8

• I think this was posted before - I'm not up on YouTube as much as others but the clip of Bill Withers doing Ain't No Sunshine with the drummer in the foreground (if memory serves) is rather nice. It's all very mellow and sweet drumming and he plays the camera and demonstrates why sometimes, less is so much more.

That one got bumped here is another of the same vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAgwd5JGPo

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

That one got bumped here is another of the same vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAgwd5JGPo

Totally off topic for a moment but I just have to say that the way that Withers introduces and then launches into the song in that video pretty much defines Grown N Sexy Real Talk to me.

Taken from the weekend finds thread (mumbosauce post) - yea! great drum sounds on this record!!

IMG src=http://dacapo.jp/catalog/images/CHRISTINE-MCVIE-THELEGENDARY.jpg>

Love the drum on it. Actually I like that whole track with the drum alot.

• mmmhh forgot ....purple haze - mitch mitchell

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    waahahhahahah

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
     <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=" name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Levon Helm - Baby Don't Do It

b/w Lets not let this thread die, its the best one on here today.

Super sick breakdown near the end.

• I'm by no means holding this up as an example of a "great moment in drumming" for the drumming itself, but when I was 13 and taking drum lessons I have to say this gave me a bit of a drummer's woody. I loved this tricked-out drum riser that rotated all over the place. I remember seeing the video for "Wild Side" the first time and the part during the guitar solo where the drum riser starts spinning blew my adolescent drummer geek mind.

How could I forget til now?!
    Hunt Sales on Iggy Pop's Lust for Life.
    He must have been exhausted by the end of that!

Doug Clifford of CCR.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

For that last minute of Mardin sanctioned mad Gaddness. Significant for a studio musician to be given the brush to run wild with, especially amidst the context of such a contemporary popular records grand finale.

Theres plenty examples of it, so its not exclusive to drumming. But rediscovering that moment on this album exposed me to see the difference in evolved anticipations the landscape of a "Studio" arrangement implies with an artist in todays market.

So to me its a reference for production chemistry that captures excitement and those spontaneous joy-of-playing moments like whats listed in this thread, caught being mega-incestous with the charts! Whereas today, it wouldn't be on an album, to hear such candid offerings of an individuals musicality you typically gotta go catch it live.

Trying to pick the best between 'takes' of one of these Great Moments In Drumming and arranging all the best bits is Frickin' dumb to me, but thats faster becoming the typical landscape Studio sessions got in store for our ears today. So don't mind me

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Quietly shitting on the world of "real hip hop".