How Did They Get THAT Fanbase?!?!

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
So I just got off the phone with a dongpiece *PASUE*. I was relaying a story about the time I met Tec 9 and how his polite, respectful and TRUE HIP HOP* demeanor made me want to check for his music (which I had never heard before).In explaining him, I described how he came up from the Insane Clown Posse side of Hip Hop, then sidetracked into the fact that (out here, at least) ICP has such a HUGE Native American following. I mean, whenever any ICP-related group performs here, Indian dudes line up for hours all decked out in face paint and baggy Goth Hop wear. I explained that I cram to understand how that came to be, and she explained that she felt the same way about Morrissey's huge Mexican fanbase.Any thoughts behind this? I kinda feel the same way about Medeski, Martin & Wood's and Ozomatli's huge Stinky Hippy following, too.Herm*He had a show next door to a B-Boy battle I was hosting. Before his show, he came in and watched enjoyed the battle for about 20 minutes and then introduced himself to me and asked if it was okay for him to give props to the DJ's.

Comments

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    (...) and she explained that she felt the same way about Morrissey's huge Mexican fanbase.

Any thoughts behind this?

[i]"But Jesus made me, so Jesus save me from pity, sympathy and people discussing me"
    A frame of useless limbs. but what can make good of all the bad that's been done?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    The low-income Caucasian race follows them (ICP) round here. Cops and myself know their cars by the silly axe dude sticker.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i barely recall reading about Tek-9 from a Kansas based hip-hop zine (flavorpill or something like that). I had always assumed he was just another 4-Elements rapper lost in the midwest.

Point being, a few years later while working at a record store i was surprised to see his CD affiliated with the ICP group.

I would bet that ICP make monies that some of these 'real rappers' could only dream of. If i was Saigon, instead of crying on myspace, i would link up with some extreme fighter or backyard wrestler and try to flip that redneck dough.

• So I just got off the phone with a dongpiece *PASUE*.

OH WOW. This could sound REALLY bad. For clarification:

The dong (VND, IPA: dɔŋ) is the currency of Vietnam since May 3, 1978. It is issued by the State Bank of Vietnam. It has the symbol ₫. It is subdivided into 10 h??o. However, the h??o is now worth so little that it is no longer issued.

Dongpiece = dimepiece.

Damn.

• Options
    So I just got off the phone with a dongpiece *PASUE*.

The dong (VND, IPA: d??) is the currency of Vietnam since May 3, 1978. It is issued by the State Bank of Vietnam. It has the symbol ?. It is subdivided into 10 h??o. However, the h??o is now worth so little that it is no longer issued.

Dongpiece = dimepiece.

Damn.

I just figured it was Dazepiece.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

The dong (VND, IPA: d??) is the currency of Vietnam since May 3, 1978. It is issued by the State Bank of Vietnam. It has the symbol ?. It is subdivided into 10 h??o. However, the h??o is now worth so little that it is no longer issued.

Dongpiece = dimepiece.

Damn.

I just figured it was Dazepiece.[/b]

Oh Snap! Sween got J-O-K-E-S!!!!!!!!! LOL

• http://www.ocweekly.com/features/features/their-charming-man/21569/

What is it about Morrissey that attracts Latinos? It may be that it echoes the music of Mexico, the ranchera. His trembling falsetto brings to mind the rich, sad voice of Pedro Infante, while his effeminate stage presence makes him a U.K. version of Juan Gabriel. As in ranchera, Morrissey???s lyrics rely on ambiguity, powerful imagery and metaphors. Thematically, the idealization of a simpler life and a rejection of all things bourgeois come from a populist impulse common to ranchera.

The most striking similarity, though, is Morrissey???s signature beckoning and embrace of the uncertainty of life and love, something that at first glance might seem the opposite of macho Mexican music. But check it out: for all the machismo and virulent existentialism that Mexican music espouses, there is another side???a morbid fascination with getting your heart and dreams broken by others, usually in death. In fact, Morrissey???s most famous confession of unrequited love, "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out," ("And if a double-decker bus/Crashes into us/To die by your side/Would be a heavenly way to die") emulates almost sentiment for sentiment Cuco Sanchez???s torch song "Cama de Piedra" ("The day that they kill me/May it be with five bullets/And be close to you").

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    ...and she explained that she felt the same way about Morrissey's huge Mexican fan base.

The story goes that there is a Mexican Morrissey cover band (whose name I am not privy to) that toured much of southern California and into Mexico, doing full Spanish translations of his tunes (and apparently spot on vocal impressions).

Anyway, the band became very popular, so much so that people began to go to the source, Morrissey himself. Also, apparently during a show by the cover band, in a California club, where some of the gang affiliated fans liked to the see the performances, a fight inevitably broke out leading to a murder. This is the origin of the tune "First Of The Gang To Die", Morrissey's tribute to that gang banger who lost his life at the cover band's show.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I forget who said it but the a lot of chollo morrisey appeal has to do with catholic guilt. I think some dude said that on the greaser episode of

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Any thoughts behind this? I kinda feel the same way about Medeski, Martin & Wood's and Ozomatli's huge Stinky Hippy following, too.

It's that jam band shit.

• i barely recall reading about Tek-9 from a Kansas based hip-hop zine (flavorpill or something like that). I had always assumed he was just another 4-Elements rapper lost in the midwest.

Point being, a few years later while working at a record store i was surprised to see his CD affiliated with the ICP group.

I would bet that ICP make monies that some of these 'real rappers' could only dream of. If i was Saigon, instead of crying on myspace, i would link up with some extreme fighter or backyard wrestler and try to flip that redneck dough.

On one of the episodes of the white rapper show when they went to michigan they met up with those two knuckleheads from ICP (who are funny on the howard stern show but their music I just can't get with) on there and they had the independent game on lock. Warehouse full of merchandise, websites, studios and all kinds of shit. They are definately cakin off that shit. Its amazing what some people get into. Shits no different than KISS fans and all the KISS merch that is out there. Anyways, they had that shit on lock I doubt they are hurting for money.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    i barely recall reading about Tek-9 from a Kansas based hip-hop zine (flavorpill or something like that). I had always assumed he was just another 4-Elements rapper lost in the midwest.

On one of the episodes of the white rapper show when they went to michigan they met up with those two knuckleheads from ICP (who are funny on the howard stern show but their music I just can't get with) on there and they had the independent game on lock. Warehouse full of merchandise, websites, studios and all kinds of shit. They are definately cakin off that shit. Its amazing what some people get into. Shits no different than KISS fans and all the KISS merch that is out there. Anyways, they had that shit on lock I doubt they are hurting for money.

Yeah, I saw that, too. Those dudes are bankin' pretty hard just following the indie script. They don't have to recite the Koch Records mantra--they just cash checks.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I know he's not Mexican-American, but I finally found out the reason King Moist is such a huge Morrissey fan:

N(really)SFW

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I think there is a huge difference between a song having gained popularity with an unexpected crowd, and an artist having gained popularity with an unexpected crowd.

Like someone mentioned earlier, it is the Djs that are behind making a song popular. It should be easy for you guys to understand, I mean how is some obscure ass 7" a hit in the UK 30 years later after it was made? DJs.

Did you guys know that some obscure b-side New Kids On The Block record is sought after on the steppers scene as well? That's because of a DJ. But it aint like black folk in Chicago are all running out to New Kids On The Block concerts because of it. So there is a big difference IMO.

• On a song basis I remember the first time I heard a DJ in DC drop "Fly Like an Eagle" in a predominantly black club back in the early 90s. The crowd went crazy. I doubt they'd all show up to a Steve Miller concert though.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

Dongpiece = dimepiece.

Damn.

I just figured it was Dazepiece.

haha, yeah, I thought you meant some dickhead

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    On a song basis I remember the first time I heard a DJ in DC drop "Fly Like an Eagle" in a predominantly black club back in the early 90s. The crowd went crazy. I doubt they'd all show up to a Steve Miller concert though.

That's only because of Hip Hop.

• On a song basis I remember the first time I heard a DJ in DC drop "Fly Like an Eagle" in a predominantly black club back in the early 90s. The crowd went crazy. I doubt they'd all show up to a Steve Miller concert though.

I think you're right but it still surprised me. I wonder sometimes if Steely Dan and Hall and Oates would have such a large black fanbase without the help of hip-hop/samples?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It should be mentioned that "Fly Like An Eagle" and "Abracadabra" were huge reverse-crossover hits for the Steve Miller Band. And this is when the songs were current. And New Kids On The Block actually had mild success on the black charts for a minute.

Despite this, I agree with the sentiment that blacks aren't flocking to Steve Miller shows (or WEREN'T, in the New Kids' case). But what little R&B success they did have shouldn't be a surprise.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    On a song basis I remember the first time I heard a DJ in DC drop "Fly Like an Eagle" in a predominantly black club back in the early 90s. The crowd went crazy. I doubt they'd all show up to a Steve Miller concert though.

I wouldn't agree with this 100%, or at least I wouldn't use the word "only".

I think you're right but it still surprised me. I wonder sometimes if Steely Dan and Hall and Oates would have such a large black fanbase without the help of hip-hop/samples?

Steely Dan Peg was a street hit.

Hall & Oates were regular POP like Madonna or Whitney.
    They had videos that played along side Prince and errybody of their era.

New Kids played the Apollo.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

These artists had a black audience before hip-hop sampled them.

That's part of the reason Hip-Hop sampled them.

I wouldn't agree with this 100%, or at least I wouldn't use the word "only".

Yeah - ONLY is too restrictive.

But if that crowd back then were cats in their 20's from the hood, i'd bet my money on Hip Hop.

Steve Miller's presence in the hood wasnt because the song remained in black clubs throughout the 80's. Kids grew to know it as the EpMD sample, if they werent exposed to it before hand.

A sprinkle of Black Fans = Black Fanbase???

Yes.

Black radio was in H&O's corner off and on since 1976, with "Sara Smile." During their heyday, if they put out a record that had a soulish feel, most times the soul stations were ALL OVER that bad boy. Hip-hop had nothing to do with it.

As far as Steely Dan, just yesterday I was talking with Clinton Ghent, who hosted the Chicago Soul Train in the early seventies after Don Cornelius left for L.A. to host the national Train...he said that there was at least one Steely Dan song that used to get played on the show (he couldn't remember which). I don't know how it is across the country, but even today this band has a huge following with the steppers' crowd in Chicago (which is totally different from hip-hop).

These artists had a black audience before hip-hop sampled them.

That's part of the reason Hip-Hop sampled them.

Makes sense.
    Do you guys think there's more or less cross-over these days than in the 70's and 80's? I remember when I was a kid in the early 70's hearing Stevie and Sly on the AM radio next to Zeppelin and Cat Stevens. Seems like there's less of that now but then again hip-hop is pretty universal these days (yet rock and country are not).

Steely Dan Peg was a street hit.

"Josie" and "Do It Again" were, too.

Do you guys think there's more or less cross-over these days than in the 70's and 80's? I remember when I was a kid in the early 70's hearing Stevie and Sly on the AM radio next to Zeppelin and Cat Stevens. Seems like there's less of that now but then again hip-hop is pretty universal these days (yet rock and country are not).

Stevie/Sly next to Led are not THAT MUCH different then.

• Do you guys think there's more or less cross-over these days than in the 70's and 80's? I remember when I was a kid in the early 70's hearing Stevie and Sly on the AM radio next to Zeppelin and Cat Stevens. Seems like there's less of that now but then again hip-hop is pretty universal these days (yet rock and country are not).

Stevie/Sly next to Led are not THAT MUCH different then.

OK lets say Bad Company, Barry White, Elton John and Isaac Hayes.

It seems like there's less crossover, mainly because there don't seem to be many all-purpose Top 40 stations anymore...every genre has its' own radio station, and even though there seems to be a lot of country crossovers ON THE CHARTS, it's not really reflected ON THE RADIO. Or so it seems. Isn't KISS-FM (every town has one) supposed to be the station that plays anything that happens to be in the Top 40, regardless? Or is that over now?

It seems like there's less crossover, mainly because there don't seem to be many all-purpose Top 40 stations anymore...every genre has its' own radio station, and even though there seems to be a lot of country crossovers ON THE CHARTS, it's not really reflected ON THE RADIO. Or so it seems. Isn't KISS-FM (every town has one) supposed to be the station that plays anything that happens to be in the Top 40, regardless? Or is that over now?

I think 16 year olds are less influenced by the radio these days.