How Did They Get THAT Fanbase?!?!

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Do you guys think there's more or less cross-over these days than in the 70's and 80's? I remember when I was a kid in the early 70's hearing Stevie and Sly on the AM radio next to Zeppelin and Cat Stevens. Seems like there's less of that now but then again hip-hop is pretty universal these days (yet rock and country are not).

Stevie/Sly next to Led are not THAT MUCH different then.

OK lets say Bad Company, Barry White, Elton John and Isaac Hayes.

No, that still doesn't look like much of a stretch.

Let's REALLY mix it up: Helen Reddy, Marvin Gaye, Pink Floyd and "Dueling Banjos." A mainstream pop singer, a progressive soul singer, a prog rock band, and a bluegrass tune that was featured in a movie. THAT'S how diverse AM pop radio was back then. WLS in Chicago, to name one station, played all these acts/records at some point in 1973, yet you knew there was no way in hell you'd ever see Reddy, Gaye, Pink Floyd or Eric Weissberg on the same concert. Today's stations are little more homogenous than that.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Do you guys think there's more or less cross-over these days than in the 70's and 80's? I remember when I was a kid in the early 70's hearing Stevie and Sly on the AM radio next to Zeppelin and Cat Stevens. Seems like there's less of that now but then again hip-hop is pretty universal these days (yet rock and country are not).

It seems like there's less crossover, mainly because there don't seem to be many all-purpose Top 40 stations anymore...every genre has its' own radio station, and even though there seems to be a lot of country crossovers ON THE CHARTS, it's not really reflected ON THE RADIO. Or so it seems. Isn't KISS-FM (every town has one) supposed to be the station that plays anything that happens to be in the Top 40, regardless? Or is that over now?

I think 16 year olds are less influenced by the radio these days.

Maybe that's a good thing?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

It seems like there's less crossover, mainly because there don't seem to be many all-purpose Top 40 stations anymore...every genre has its' own radio station, and even though there seems to be a lot of country crossovers ON THE CHARTS, it's not really reflected ON THE RADIO. Or so it seems. Isn't KISS-FM (every town has one) supposed to be the station that plays anything that happens to be in the Top 40, regardless? Or is that over now?

Maybe that's a good thing?

Yes.

Look at a these POP White Girls who dabble in R&B/Hip Hop/Rock/Soul/Electronica/etc.

Helen Reddy and Barabara Streisand werent that "mixed" to me.

Yes they could cover a country ballad or a Motown song. Maybe Cher would shake her ass w/ the J5, but theyre direct music wasnt that crazy.

Winehouse was doin Blues/Soul/R&B/a smidgeon of Hip Hop beat.....

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Well, they're not, but they are still influenced by the segregation that Genre Radio ushered in. It used to be a badge of honor for kids to be able to say "I don't listen to anything that's not hip-hop." Now, hopefully kids will expand their horizons because radio has less of a cement block lock on their listening habits.