Delf.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
What the hell did that mean?! I mean, I know what it means, it doesn't take a genius to realize that "goin' for delf" = "goin' for self," but I wonder how that came to be?I'm assuming it's just one of those "reinvent slang" things a la son/don/thun but I could be wrong. Anyways, knowledge me, skoLmeses.

Comments

• I remember a looong time ago seeing the word "delf" in a Source article
    I always thought it was just a typo...?

But then-

Delf/Self, Dolo/Solo, Dun/Son?

• Delf/Self, Dolo/Solo, Dun/Son?

!!!

!!!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Release Yo Delf

• Options
    Release Yo Delf

I love that song.

• Damn Herm, I thought you spoke the dun language.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I. D.elf L.ord A.nd M.aster

Delfonics.....

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    This all came about when everyone on the east coast started wearing gold teeth and couldn't pronounce their "S"' so it just ended up being "Delf", "Dolo" & "Dun"!!! That is my take on it. Then they started wearing New Era hats just a wee bit too big with space on the sides. One to keep their dutch master tucked up amd away and 2nd to keep it, their head and ears dry with the constant water dripping of air conditioners in NYC. Then I figured out why ALL the chicks got stallion booty and legs. Because no one drives in NYC and they have been walking and running up and down subway stairs their entire lives therefore creating that oh so wonderful puerto rican stallion booty.

• This all came about when everyone on the east coast started wearing gold teeth and couldn't pronounce their "S"' so it just ended up being "Delf", "Dolo" & "Dun"!!! That is my take on it. Then they started wearing New Era hats just a wee bit too big with space on the sides. One to keep their dutch master tucked up amd away and 2nd to keep it, their head and ears dry with the constant water dripping of air conditioners in NYC. Then I figured out why ALL the chicks got stallion booty and legs. Because no one drives in NYC and they have been walking and running up and down subway stairs their entire lives therefore creating that oh so wonderful puerto rican stallion booty.

You are a very wise, observant and linear man and I applaud you for it.

For the non-city gals, biking everywhere also works wonders. So does running bleachers.

Real Headz Know The Truth I Speak.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This all came about when everyone on the east coast started wearing gold teeth and couldn't pronounce their "S"' so it just ended up being "Delf", "Dolo" & "Dun"!!! That is my take on it.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    This all came about when everyone on the east coast started wearing gold teeth and couldn't pronounce their "S"' so it just ended up being "Delf", "Dolo" & "Dun"!!! That is my take on it. Then they started wearing New Era hats just a wee bit too big with space on the sides. One to keep their dutch master tucked up amd away and 2nd to keep it, their head and ears dry with the constant water dripping of air conditioners in NYC. Then I figured out why ALL the chicks got stallion booty and legs. Because no one drives in NYC and they have been walking and running up and down subway stairs their entire lives therefore creating that oh so wonderful puerto rican stallion booty.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Release Yo Delf

• I always thought dolo was a contracted version of "down low". And it's a stretch, but "delf" could be a contracted version of "damn self". I have no explanation for "dun" although I know that was one word I always hated.

• This all came about when everyone on the east coast started wearing gold teeth and couldn't pronounce their "S"' so it just ended up being "Delf", "Dolo" & "Dun"!!! That is my take on it.

i was about to say this too. i met a cat from queens back in the 90's and asked him about the origins of dun and thats what he told me....

ironically d, now that i think about it, it was that puerto rican cat that worked with us at that computer place that told me this!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Speaking of East Coast slanguage, my friend once told me that he thought bubblegoose was slang for person. Him and his boy would walk into a club or something and say "there's mad bubblegeese in here!"b,121b,121File Under:b,121West Coast Dudes Who Have No Business Using East Coast Slang (Or Rockin' One Pant Leg Up, For That Matter)

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Speaking of East Coast slanguage, my friend once told me that he thought bubblegoose was slang for person. Him and his boy would walk into a club or something and say "there's mad bubblegeese in here!"
    b,121
    b,121File Under:
    b,121West Coast Dudes Who Have No Business Using East Coast Slang (Or Rockin' One Pant Leg Up, For That Matter)
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121WOW.b,121b,121

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Speaking of East Coast slanguage, my friend once told me that he thought bubblegoose was slang for person. Him and his boy would walk into a club or something and say "there's mad bubblegeese in here!"
    b,121
    b,121File Under:
    b,121West Coast Dudes Who Have No Business Using East Coast Slang (Or Rockin' One Pant Leg Up, For That Matter)
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Origin of one pant leg up = not wanting to get your baggy pants caught in your bike chain. b,121b,121Correct?

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121File Under:
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Ha! That reminds of an old girlfriend of mine in Austin (not a native Texan) who thought that "dually" was slang for a redneck. The dual-rear-wheeled pickup is something I've always admired in an odd way, in no small part due to the fact that I knew several people whose goal in life was to one day own such a ve-hicle (as my brother pronounces it). b,121b,121We'd be driving around town and I'd say, "Damn, check out that dually!" And every time, it was being driven by someone who fit her mental image of a redneck to a T.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Origin of one pant leg up = not wanting to get your baggy pants caught in your bike chain.
    b,121
    b,121Correct?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121LEFT LEG DEALINb,121RIGHT LEG BUYIN

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Damn Herm, I thought you spoke the dun language.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121what the drilly wit that, tho? it ain't bangin'!

• In high school me and the holmeses rocked both [/b] pant legs up using rubberbands.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121In high school me and the holmeses rocked
    both [/b] pant legs up using rubberbands. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Word? We just wore shorts. img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/tony-danza/rapidcat.gif"1

Saw a photo the other day that reminded me that I was still pegging my jeans (surfer-style) in '91. b,121b,121

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I still do this with some military cargos I own. Rubber bands aren't needed though because of the drawstrings on the cuff.

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Saw a photo the other day that reminded me that I was still pegging my jeans (surfer-style) in '91.
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Found it...b,121b,121b,121b,121Again...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Vampire head on the pylon to the right is NEXT LEVEL.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Word? We just wore shorts.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121please see: "Weather changes every 5 minutes" thread.b,121b,121that's the beauty part, see? we could switch it up depending on the cloud cover. b,121b,121VERSATILE.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Because no one drives in NYC and they have been walking and running up and down subway stairs their entire lives therefore creating that oh so wonderful puerto rican stallion booty.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121This would sort of explain the "I drive everywhere,LA flat booty" too.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Speaking of East Coast slanguage, my friend once told me that he thought bubblegoose was slang for person. Him and his boy would walk into a club or something and say "there's mad bubblegeese in here!"b,121b,121File Under:b,121West Coast Dudes Who Have No Business Using East Coast Slang (Or Rockin' One Pant Leg Up, For That Matter) b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I'm loving the fact that you just casually continued your thought from a year ago, Herm.b,121b,121

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Speaking of East Coast slanguage, my friend once told me that he thought bubblegoose was slang for person. Him and his boy would walk into a club or something and say "there's mad bubblegeese in here!"b,121b,121File Under:b,121West Coast Dudes Who Have No Business Using East Coast Slang (Or Rockin' One Pant Leg Up, For That Matter) b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I'm loving the fact that you just casually continued your thought from a year ago, Herm.b,121b,121 b,121b,121h,121b,121b,121Ha ha! I was searching my 'Strut history 'cause I thought I was repeating myself in Firme's lowrider video thread. I stumbled across this Delf thread I started and remembered the bubblegoose story.b,121b,121I also stumbled upon another story I told that was very risque but turned out a funny chain of events.b,121b,121Revisiting your 'Strut history is so necessary!