IM TRYIN TO SPLIT MY COLLECTION INTO GENRES

fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
this is pretty hard.genres (so far):SOUL/FUNKJAZZROCK/FUSIONPSYCH/PROGJAZZEUROJAZZSCANDINAVIAN STUFFJAZZFUNKLIBRARYAVANTGARDE/SYNTHFOLKDRUMBREAKSCHEESY LISTENINGWhere should i put my Axelrod records?Where should i put Les McCanns talk to the people, layers & Another beginning?Where should i put Hysear Don Walkers Complete Exp 1&2 ? i would put these records under the same genre as the mccann records..HAELP PLAESE

Comments

• and what about john klemmers blowin gold & feathers??

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    You could definitely stand to simplify your categories a bit. The whole purpose of splitting your collection into genres is to make it easier for you to find stuff. Looks pretty complicated off the bat, to me.

I have mine divided into:

Soul/Funk
    Jazz
    Rock/Psych (very few)
    Gospel
    Black Interest
    Rap/12"s
    45s

I'd say McCann, Axelrod, and Klemmer all fall under jazz. Don't make this any more complicated than it has to be.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Where should i put Les McCanns - Layers

JAZZFUNK [/b]

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i've had my record collection divided by genre for years under this simple scheme:

jazz
    funk/soul
    soundtracks
    rock
    reggae
    rap

but i'm actually thinking about combining them all minus the rap and then dividing them by alphabetized plastic dividers. trying to decide if it's worth it though

• ok, what about this:

SOUL/FUNK
    JAZZ/JAZZFUNK/FUSION
    PROG/PSYCH
    EUROPEAN STUFF
    DRUMBREAKS
    WIERDO/SYNTH/AVANTGARDE/LIBRARY
    45S

and my hiphop is already splitted & sorted..

and i also have a box on the same table as my decks is at, with "new shit i just bought".. lovin it.

ok, what about this:

SOUL/FUNK
    JAZZ/JAZZFUNK/FUSION
    PROG/PSYCH
    EUROPEAN STUFF
    DRUMBREAKS
    WIERDO/SYNTH/AVANTGARDE/LIBRARY
    45S

Much better. You just saved yourself a lot of trouble.

SOUL

FUNK

• i dont buy much soul/funk, thats why i combined them.. most of my records are jazz related

• HamHam 872 Posts
    I have my records split into:

Soul/Funk/Jazz/Rock/Folk
    80's funk/disco/electro
    Breaks
    Hip-Hop
    Crap i've sampled

this only works beacause i've recently sold a lot of stuff and now only have 2-300 records.

Peoples with Bweaks as a separate category...how bad does the rest of the album have to be??

• Peoples with Bweaks as a separate category...how bad does the rest of the album have to be??

Why would you ever listen to the rest of the album?

• HamHam 872 Posts
    yeah, the good records with breaks are not in the breaks category. only the bert kaempfert's, bette midler and billy joel records and such.

• Peoples with Bweaks as a separate category...how bad does the rest of the album have to be??

yes this is a category for the wack records which i bought cause of the drumbreak..
    of course i wont put my les mccann - talk to the people or my string beat in there. hah

• im actually enjoying this record splitting very much. im finding a lot of records i kinda "forgot/was sleepin on", that i will listen to tomorrow.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    A real heavyweight files by label and catalog number.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm kinda shocked a lot of you guys are lacking a straight-up 'ROCK' section!!

Where do you file Sabbath, "psych/prog" or "jazzrock"??!~

• Yeah, I can never decide if stuff should go under funky jazz or jazz funk.

• Those Jazz/Soul records are tough sometimes. I generally file 'em where they were filed in the store I bought them from. Most stores are pretty consistent about who is jazz and who is soul. I just stick with that. Makes it easier to remember where to look for them. I file my stuff mostly like everybody else here, with a couple exceptions. I have 2 sections for everything now. A bigger section out of sight (closet shelving) and a smaller section for each genre with my favorite/best albums. The smaller sections are in shelving units in my living room, accessible to my equipment. In addition to the basic sections, I also keep a "novelty/children's/comedy" section, a section for 60s/70s cover albums (Hits of the 70s, shit like that), an old school rap section (pre-86 rap I think), a dub/reggae section, and my rap 12"s are separate from the rap LP's. Everything is alpha. It has worked this way for years.

One thing I always wanted to try was arranging them chronoalphabetically. That would be by year and alphabetically within each year, all within each genre. I'd like to have less than 1000 records before I try that though.

edit: Ohh, yeah, and my Rock section is just that. Just like jazz.

Yeah, I can never decide if stuff should go under funky jazz or jazz funk.

• - Good for 15 seconds or less aka Why do I still have these?!
    - One good song
    - 3 good songs
    - All Good
    - Records I used to always play out until I microwaved them
    - Records I've been meaning to microwave but I'd rather just DL instead
    - Records that I could probably sell for a lot of money if I really wanted to
    - Records I need to move out of this room and put it in that room
    - Records that remind me of her
    - Records that remind me of the other her
    - Records that remind me of the other other her
    - Records that Mom keeps insisting I took from her BITD
    - Records that suck but damn that girl on the cover is hot to trot
    - On the floor for no apparent reason

Black Music
    Other Music

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

One thing I always wanted to try was arranging them chronoalphabetically. That would be by year and alphabetically within each year, all within each genre.

That seems a bit much, don't you think?

I'd say a good method is to divide everything up into roughly 5-6 genres and alphabetize within each genre (this method may not work depending on what kind/how many records you have)

Soul/Funk
    Jazz (some jazz funk goes in here)
    Disco
    Rock
    African/Latin
    Misc (soundtracks, comedy, sound effects)

Also...

Playout Records

This is a tough one because you can end up pulling stuff from a bunch of different categories and putting them in your record bag and when you get back home , putting them all back into the respective sections is a bit annoying , so I have 4-5 shelves dedicated to records I play out on a consistent basis.

Somehow I just remember where shit is , like I'll have some Yoda type of higher knowledge and I will just reach into any given shelf and grab 'Rashida' right when I want to hear it. This is by no means a normal method of organization however.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    My records are sorted by monetary value (highest to lowest).

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    BLACK
    WHITE
    ASIAN
    EUROPEAN
    AFRICAN
    HISPANIC
    BRAZILIAN

• I'm kinda shocked a lot of you guys are lacking a straight-up 'ROCK' section!!

Where do you file Sabbath, "psych/prog" or "jazzrock"??!~

i file all that under "ROCK". jazz rock/ psych/ prog even so called "black rock" like DEMON FUZZ & EDDIE Hazel all go under rock in my collection. But I just ran out of space so all my new purchases have been put where ever. Which isn't a good look when i need to find something fast.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I got my ish broken down into maybe 6 genres, but there's no organization within genre.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Black Music
    Other Music

true, though.

• BLACK
    WHITE
    ASIAN
    EUROPEAN
    AFRICAN
    HISPANIC
    BRAZILIAN

this is honestly what I end up doing.

in addition to the standard soul/funk, jazz, hip hop, rock/psych, disco, electronic- I've got:

indian
    middle eastern
    west & east african
    s. african
    carribean (non-spanish)
    latin (salsa-related)
    latin (cumbias, boleros, folk)
    brazilian
    euro

all nations are represented. except tonga. still looking for this one tongan folk-psych-breakbeat-raer.

• Jazz (US)
    Jazz (european, non-US)
    Jazz (canadian)
    Jazz (japanese)
    latin
    funk
    45s
    misc. non-us music (so-called "island funk", funky steel bands)
    new age
    folkways
    electronic/avant-garde
    rock
    hiphop
    CDs (all)

Collection could use a trimming tho...

• hiphop abcd 12s
    hiphop abcd LPs
    hiphop unabcd
    rock (lots o breaks!)
    soulfunk abcd
    european stuff
    kids records
    soundtracks (al blaxplo together)
    latin joints
    45s abcd (roughly)
    hallowed crate (abcd)
    12"
    jazz abcd
    spoken word/comedy
    hiphop recentpop (in a box on the floor)
    need to listen to pile
    non-euro foreign:african brazilian indian etc

some of the categories show up in a lot of places.would be challenging to show someone where things are, but to me it makes semi perfect sense.