Lyrics that just don't make sense.

Medium_DudeMedium_Dude 153 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
This one's been buggin me for a while, but there's a line on Slum Village's "Fantastic Vol.2", where Dilla says "Coming back from the bank, baby, counting my change..."Who counts change coming BACK from the bank?Any other lines/verses that just defy explanation? And i'm not talking about abstract/artsy/poem type stuff. I'm talking rhymes that sound like the artist kinda plays it off like regular talk, but upon further inspection, make no cot dayum sense...

Comments

• That line in Chuck Berry's "Run, Run Rudolph" where he has one kid asking Santa for a "rock & roll electric guitar." Yeah, it would be a stone drag if that same kid found a polka electric guitar under the tree, huh?

• my english isnt the best on this board, but as far as my english skills goes, "THE MPC 3000 IS RARE BUT IT STILL SOUNDS CRISPY" doesnt make sense?

if im wrong, please let me know what this dude (talib kweli) means.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    There's a LOT of rap lines that confuse me - I think everyone who has english as a second language can relate. One example:
    "The only tip I have for a waiter, is don't let the door hit you where the dirty dog should have bit you". I just don't understand it in its context.

• There's a LOT of rap lines that confuse me - I think everyone who has english as a second language can relate. One example:
    "The only tip I have for a waiter, is don't let the door hit you where the dirty dog should have bit you". I just don't understand it in its context.

Not sure which part you don't understand...but..

"Tip" can mean either the extra money you give someone for their (good) services(waiters,etc) or advice you give someone. "Don't let the door hit you in your ass on the way out", or "Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you(your ass),etc.." is an old sarcastic saying...and of course, a dog can bite you in your ass.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Keith Sweat - I Want Her

Seen you last night, saw you standin??? there
    Couldn???t picture the color of your hair
    All I wanted to know were you really there
    I wanna know was it my imagination
    Ooh, you k now it was a sweet sensation
    Lookin??? at you from a distance
    Ooh, it seems so rea

You saw her standing there, but cant see her hair color?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    This one's been buggin me for a while, but there's a line on Slum Village's "Fantastic Vol.2", where Dilla says "Coming back from the bank, baby, counting my change..."

Who counts change coming BACK from the bank?

I think it's assumed that he's talking about the stuff that folds, not the stuff that clinks.

Nobody ever taught you to count your money after making a withdrawal to make sure it's all there?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    UNOFFICIAL
    WET TISSUE

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    There's a LOT of rap lines that confuse me - I think everyone who has english as a second language can relate. One example:
    "Tip" can mean either the extra money you give someone for their (good) services(waiters,etc) or advice you give someone. "Don't let the door hit you in your ass on the way out", or "Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you(your ass),etc.." is an old sarcastic saying...and of course, a dog can bite you in your ass.

Yeah, I get all that. But WHY is he saying it, int that context? Is it to show us how foul he used to live before he became a righteous muslim? He didn't even tip waiters before, now he's on a level supreme to the devil, is that it?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Yeah, I get all that. But WHY is he saying it, int that context? Is it to show us how foul he used to live before he became a righteous muslim? He didn't even tip waiters before, now he's on a level supreme to the devil, is that it?[/b]
    ^^^^^^^
    God damn that's funny.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    UNOFFICIAL
    WET TISSUE

WOLVERINE CARNATION MILK

• This one's been buggin me for a while, but there's a line on Slum Village's "Fantastic Vol.2", where Dilla says "Coming back from the bank, baby, counting my change..."

Who counts change coming BACK from the bank?

I think it's assumed that he's talking about the stuff that folds, not the stuff that clinks.

Nobody ever taught you to count your money after making a withdrawal to make sure it's all there?

I never withdraw, only deposit.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Whenever I hear 'The Way I Are'

It makes me think of this:

M R DUCKS
    M R Not DUCKS
    O S M R DUCKS
    C M WANGS?
    L I B M R DUCKS!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Renee's Mad Magazine rack always confused me....

• my english isnt the best on this board, but as far as my english skills goes, "THE MPC 3000 IS RARE BUT IT STILL SOUNDS CRISPY" doesnt make sense?

It's a play on the word Rare. It has two meanings - "hard to find" and "lightly cooked meat". Lightly cooked meat is never crispy. But the sounds out of the MPC are. Get it?

Puns must be hard for second language speakers.

• every rhyme ghost spits on supreme clientele.

• "fish and chips with the hippy hippy hips"

It's a play on the word Rare. It has two meanings - "hard to find" and "lightly cooked meat". Lightly cooked meat is never crispy. But the sounds out of the MPC are. Get it?

ah, i knew both your ways of using rare, but i didnt really think about it when i heard the rap track.

thanks anyways..this stuff has been buggin me for a while.

• "When I hit it's like Farakan kissing a white bitch"

-Tragedy on some song on Saga Of A Hoodlum

I guess it's a shocking event when Tragedy ryhmes, but I'm still baffled by why he would chose this comparison. I guess he's just trying to sound crazy.

English is my first language and this still doesn't make sense to me. Crispyness aside, The MPC 3000 is neither hard to find, or like lightly cooked meat. Although I hear that Talib is similar to

• "THE MPC 3000 IS RARE BUT IT STILL SOUNDS CRISPY"

English is my first language and this still doesn't make sense to me. Crispyness aside, The MPC 3000 is neither hard to find, or like lightly cooked meat. Although I hear that Talib is similar to

Yeah, and I could see someone like Large Professor saying that (i.e. someone who might actually use the machine), but from Talib, it's extra corny.

And I just heard some new Talib joint where he says "my great balls of fire/ break down your great walls of china"-- wow.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    every rhyme ghost spits on supreme clientele.
    come on .. there not that complex.. ha

• this one always cracks me up...

float around in the greatest of Porsches,
    feel like a chuck wagon 'cause i'm on 12 horses.

they mean 12 cylinders i guess...12hp ain't shit.

• this one always cracks me up...

float around in the greatest of Porsches,
    feel like a chuck wagon 'cause i'm on 12 horses.

they mean 12 cylinders i guess...12hp ain't shit.

Haha! I always wondered that one as well... That's like a John Deere or something.