Producers-Tips for No-Name Cats to Get "Heard"

2»

Comments

• MTKMTK 45 Posts
    A lot of good advice on here. Getting major placements honestly is becoming a lot more difficult just because the money is drying up it seems like and nobody is willing to spread out the smaller budgets (comparatively) that they have unless you're fam. Maybe it's that or that's how I justify getting my beat CD's shot down lol. However getting someone of notoriety to spit on your shizz is becoming a little easier with rappers doing more 16's now for $. It's just a problem of getting on their album as opposed to having them spit on your beat with a throwaway verse they sold through myspace for $1500. I placed a lot of beats this year with good level indie cats and when these records do eventually drop I don't see me getting much more business. Needless to say I'm not gonna quit my day job anytime soon

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Put that on top of how many of the big name producers have little dudes actually doin their beats

Your boy Danja got to hate you with a passion, man!
    He makes the hits while you taking all the credit, damn!

Scott gave him a bar with that line.

I forgot to say the fastest way to make it at this point is to steal a bunch of peoples beats under the guise of a "production team".

oh god. the "production team"!! lolz! Or how about the "LLC"? ooohh.

Ive been hit up to do one of those in house things for a couple artists, what they basicly amount to is a jerk song deal where they get a guaranteed cheap ass rate, you get raped on your publishing, no guaranteed placements, and no advance.

Now what kind of fuckin deal is that i ask you?

Stacks, if you are about to buy a house off whatever it is you do (teaching right?) then id probably not give that up for a shot at being a hip hop producer. Just because you dont get on any big records doesnt mean your beats arent good, or that you are any less credible of an artist when it comes down to it.

Im gonna say it one more time before im out, Ask yourself if you would still be doing it if all the money dried up, and really consider it before you jump at music hardcore for a career. If the answer is yes then still try to approach it like you dont even give a fuck and you will make better music and have way more fun in the process.

Peace.

P.S. See stacks? You got all the big soulsrut dudes in here giving you their honest advice. There aint no secret game here.

Thanks, B-sides!!! Nah, dawg, I wouldn't quit my daytime hustle to produce in hip-hop. Shiiiiiit, I'm too old for that, I have a family, and music is mad fickle nowadays.. I just wanna make some hot beats and get some credible, signed artists on them. You're right, cats came through on the advice tip, now it's up to the listeners to act on it or not. I appreciate the wise words that have been spoken.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Shiiiit, im almost too old for this shit myself. One thing i gotta add is not to equate artists that are signed with those that might be deemed "credible". Find whoever you think can do your music justice and make em hot.

p.s, i liked that track you did for G.U.N.