AERON / LEAP Chair appreciation

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I don't know why I put up with a crappy home office chair for so long. I had a Steelcase leap chair at work and I could definitely feel a major difference...sitting comfortably = increased productivity! Genius!Just got an Aeron chair for the pad and I am definitely feeling it. Anyone else rocking (on) one??

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    link plz

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/Product/0,,a10-c440-p8,00.html

This image (not mine) pretty much sums it up:

In my opinion, standard office chairs (even the fancy ones from Office Depot) provide very little to no lumbar support, and they don't really promote good posture. I figure if I'm going to be sitting for extended periods of time, I had better treat my back right!

After sitting in my crappy old home office chair for a good part of the past 5 years, today (finally) my back is comfy and thanking me for the Aeron!

Also, after having sat in both the Leap and the Aeron, I am feeling the Aeron a lot more. It's much sturdier in construction and more "solid" and comfy. The Leap is a good chair if you have to get up and jump back in your seat a lot (like I did at my old job), but the Aeron is built like a tank despite its mesh seat and back.

Leap chair:

I highly recommend either if you can cop them for cheap/used, and you have to sit at a desk a lot at work or at home.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/Product/0,,a10-c440-p8,00.html

This image (not mine) pretty much sums it up:

I highly recommend either if you can cop them for cheap/used, and you have to sit at a desk a lot at work or at home.

When I worked in an office in Tokyo for a while it was strictly Aeron chairs. Always wanted one since. When you really think about the long term implications of a bad back from a bad chair... it's probably the smartest thing you could buy for yourself. I've had some back and neck issues ever since working in CA at a Verizon lab where they had this shitty assortment of busted ass office chairs and desks.

Maybe for xmas this year...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Isn't this what Stephen Hawking gets around in?

• Seat Edge Angle Control

I don't often sit in front of the computer for super long periods of time, so I'm getting by with this :

partly because it's the right height for my desk, which is higher than average because it also acts as my turntable table. It is, as you can imagine, not[/b] posture friendly though...

How much $$$ we talking for these aeron/similar chairs used??? I imagine they retain a lot of value since the people buying that caliber of chair are going to take care of it...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Retail on the chairs is $950 or something insane. You can get them at local furniture/"back" stores for around $750....

I scored a used one (1 yr old, barely used, EX+ condition ) for $500

good luck!

-M