songs you love that are painful to listen to

2»

Comments

• In my youth I had played Billie Holliday's version of "Solitude" over and over again...after a particularly bad break-up. Haven't really listen to it since, nor care to.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Well, I suppose Holliday's take on Strange Fruit works as well as any song ever.

• those are classics. im talking about her final recordings. i think it was released in the 80s but it was literally the last known recordings of her before she died. it is the sound of a dope fiend dying, it is sad, and i never want to hear it again.

• those are classics. im talking about her final recordings. i think it was released in the 80s but it was literally the last known recordings of her before she died. it is the sound of a dope fiend dying, it is sad, and i never want to hear it again.

I remember my dad talking to me about how great she was, and then showing me the CD he had bought cheap and explaining that drugs had ruined her.

• I've sworn off these types of songs (or at least have tried to). Isn't enjoying listening something that leaves you melancholy, a type of masochism? I mean sure we dig the music, but it's not just that.

• I Know I have posted this before but god damn this song is sad.

Who is this, Marva Whitney?

Yes. "Your Love Was Good For Me."

I believe that this was from the "Playboy After Dark" show.

shabba!

yeah you are correct sir.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I've sworn off these types of songs (or at least have tried to). Isn't enjoying listening something that leaves you melancholy, a type of masochism? I mean sure we dig the music, but it's not just that.

Sorrow is a human emotion. There is an appropriate time for all human emotions, including melancholia and reflection. I'm not sure that masochism is fully about sadness. It's easy for me as a comfortable American to want to placate myself or to seek out one panacea after another. But I think that the Japanese Obon Festival and Mexican El Dia de los Muertos illuminate the concept of acute corporate reflection in the proper light - a concept that has no equal in the broader Western culture. Thanksgiving doesn't really compare.

• this coincides with one of my favorite movie moments ever too. Its in the movie "bronx tale" when cologio and jane talk for the first time and it's the group from the school singing "I only have eyes for you" and right when she fixes his hat it changes into the flamingos version. Gets me everytime.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Well, I suppose Holliday's take on Strange Fruit works as well as any song ever.

no question.
    first thing that popped in my head.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    "Sadie" by the Spinners

(a mother's love is something you don't question, and it's sad to think that "Sadie" passed away...great song, but a little too emotionally draining for me...gets me straight in the awwww)

This is my girl's name and I only found out recently she had only heard the R Kelly version of this song. This thought sprant to mind when we were both the worse for wear and I eagerly put on the Spinners version only remembering about halfway through how truly emotional that song is. One of the quickest ways to turn a drunken high into a morose low I've ever seen. Beautiful, beautiful song though.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    O.V. Wright gets me in that mood...Many tunes "Going Home (to live with god)", "Motherless Child", etc...
    "Going In Circles" is always doing it for me.
    "A Change Is Gonna Come" is also doing it. Wilson and Sam.
    and the ULTIMATE SONG THAT MAKES ME CRY is "Did You Hear What They Said" by Mr Heron. The piano and the topic gets me all the time. I also wanna give an honorable mention to The Heath Brothers. No Words. Just music. It happens...lol.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    ben harpers version of my fathers house...that song came on when I was driving to see my dad who was about to die. You could of ripped my heart out right then and there.

but you love it?

I'll throw in Neil Young After the Gold Rush most of side 2. and maybe Joni Mitchell "the last time i saw Richard"

etc

• Portishead - Roads

I actually can't remember what it's even about, it's been that long since I could listen to it.

Major teenage-angst issues.

- J

• "Kathleen's Theme" by Les McCann and Eddie Harris (off the Live At Montreux album) is the only instrumental that really gets to me. I don't know what it is, but that is such a sad (and beautiful) song.

Also, "Tom Traubert's Blues" by Tom Waits gets me every time, especially the line about his Stacey Adams getting soaked in the rain.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I forgot about "It makes No Difference" by The Band. Rick Danko's most heartbreaking vocal in a career full of heartbreaking vocal performances.

• "Sadie" by the Spinners

(a mother's love is something you don't question, and it's sad to think that "Sadie" passed away...great song, but a little too emotionally draining for me...gets me straight in the awwww)

This is my girl's name and I only found out recently she had only heard the R Kelly version of this song. This thought sprant to mind when we were both the worse for wear and I eagerly put on the Spinners version only remembering about halfway through how truly emotional that song is. One of the quickest ways to turn a drunken high into a morose low I've ever seen. Beautiful, beautiful song though.

This is why I hate hearing gospel acts - old-school singers from the '50s and '60s, anyway - singing about their mothers, because in gospel, mother is always dead. Even if she's alive and kicking in the front row, the lyrics always talk about mom in the past tense. I don't mind a little intensity in my music, but that is just too much to handle.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I haven't been able to listen to much of anything heroin-related since a good friend died of an overdose last year. Perfect Day is particularly rough.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Bill Withers' 'Hope She'll Be Happier With Him' gives me the chills and the blues.

"I Miss You" - Melvin & the Blue Notes

Cosign on both of these. Also,

"Thats How Strong My Love Is"- Otis
    "In My Life"- Beatles

Both these songs take me back to specific painful times, even if In My Life borders on being a little hokey....

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Portishead - Roads

I actually can't remember what it's even about, it's been that long since I could listen to it.

Major teenage-angst issues.

- J

Shades of '95. I WAS THERE.