Best Bass Players Ever!!!!!

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Steve Scipio of Cymande.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Steve Scipio of Cymande.

Add on Robbie Shakespeare too.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• phil morrison - wish thaer was other stuff besides stark reality i could get my
    hands on (strut any recomendations?)

cosign tha
    michael henderson
    ron carter (Verses From The Abstract is doep!)

who plays bass in tha kashmere stage band bloop

and

... rick james
    oops

• Steve Scipio of Cymande.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i would also get this guy in the top 50:

cecil mcbee

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

And I like the dude from Brick.....Atlanta Funk

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    i would also get this guy in the top 50:

cecil mcbee

Let's no forget these dudes:

-Buster Williams.
    -Freddie Washington.
    -Steve Swallow.
    -Marvin Isley.
    -George Franz
    -John Patitucci

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

And I like the dude from Brick.....Atlanta Funk

Ray Ransom. Ray Parker, Jr. should be noted too.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Alot of my favorite bassists were mentioned in my thread. Here's some I didn't see..

Aston Barrett (Upsetters)

Maurice Ekpo (Fela)

Holger Czuzkay (Can)

Ray Brown (imo right up there with Ron Carter for Jazz Bass)

Carles Benavent (Paco Delucia Flamenco Bass player)

Bernard Odum (JB's)

Stuart Zender (Jamiroquai)

Nick Kletchkovski (Marc Moulin's Placebo)

Bob Babbitt (Funk brothers alongside Jamerson)

Mike Watt (Minutemen)

Tina Weymouth (Talking Heads)

- spidey

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Yea, but this is kind of the line I'm drawing. Yes, there are tons of good bass players out there that keep the melody while the guitar player solos, but when heave you ever listened to a Zeppelin song FOR the bass? I'm talking about players that can overshadow the guitar players with their own ill playing.

That's not the point of being a Bass player.

- spidey

I would disagree. I think every musician should be pushing their instrument to the fullest and not just keeping up with the rest of the band. Yes, there is a time to lay back and let the others go, but you have to kick it yourselve once and a while.

I would disagree. I think every musician should be pushing their instrument to the fullest and not just keeping up with the rest of the band. Yes, there is a time to lay back and let the others go, but you have to kick it yourselve once and a while.

True, but who really wants to hear a slap bass solo for 15 minutes. Not me.

- spidey

• I would disagree. I think every musician should be pushing their instrument to the fullest and not just keeping up with the rest of the band. Yes, there is a time to lay back and let the others go, but you have to kick it yourselve once and a while.

As a player, I make an effort to play as simply as I can because it sounds better for the songs. Now, I don't simply follow the guitar parts and "carry the melody". I do find a unique "line" that complements each song but, over time, I try to shave that line down to its essence. Think of reggae. Reggae bass playing is likely the most simple bass playing you'll hear. But if you remove the bass from the track you're going to notice the difference. There is a skill in playing simply (and writing good, simple parts) that I think outshines the flashy playing of most slap happy bass players.

Victor Wooten is a very impressive bass player ... but I absolutely hate the music he makes.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    There is a skill in playing simply (and writing good, simple parts) that I think outshines the flashy playing of most slap happy bass players.

I unintentionally put the bass down as my main focus when it hit that point for me. If it doesn't groove I'm not going to spank that shit all obnoxiously.

There truly is some unreal music to be made with it on certain levels of virtuousity, but I appreciated those who reserved the parlor tricks and enhanced the song without showing off. I think that vibe applies for every musician, except with bass theres this pestering quest to be heard in front while shits going down, because like was said- take it away, No Boom! And you feel it then so hard right away. Yet while it's there you can trick yourself cause you only feel it more than you hear it.

I really only like hearing slap bass when its groove carries the theme of the track. Or the specific placement of a slap technique that enhances the flavor of the lick. Or when someone who can flex it has their specific moment to shine.

I appreciate those who stay laid back in the pocket as the link between the picture the other instruments paint, hooking it up with the drummers business, while exploring harmony with vocals, and aiding in the tonal expression of other themes within the structure of the song.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

- spidey

There are really only 2 guys on my list that play slap bass and one of them invented it. I don't want to here a 15 min Eddie Van Halen solo either. Extened solos are boring no matter who it is.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Extened solos are boring no matter who it is.

WRONG.

- spidey

Unless it's Bootsy, baby.

- spidey

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Can't believe that nobody's said Billy Nelson yet.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Can't believe that nobody's said Andy Fraser yet.

After McCartney, dude has to be one of the most underrated bassists in the game. Check any of Free's albums up to and including "Free At Last" for some genuinely innovative playing. Free's sound was often pretty sparse and economical, and Fraser managed to find no end of inventive and original ways in which to fill the space between the guitar and the drums. A huge influence on my playing.

Also, did any of these guys get a mention yet?

EDIT: OK, I see someone mentioned Chuck Rainey, but there's no love for Willie Weeks or Danny Thompson?

• hell, dude was killed in his 20s and I think he should still make the list: Scott LaFaro, I have never heard a dude play an upright that fast(Check his Ornette Coleman sides)...shame we didnt get to hear more from him...

Also cosign on Paul McCartney...dude invented rock bass, plain and simple. NO ONE was doing rock-wise what he was doing in the early/mid 60s...dudes were still hung up on walking lines and left over R&B moves when he was reinventing the instrument for rock. Melodic yet still held the entire bottom end whist movin it around..just didnt thump out the root...dude is a crazy good bassist.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Also cosign on Paul McCartney...dude invented rock bass, plain and simple. NO ONE was doing rock-wise what he was doing in the early/mid 60s...dudes were still hung up on walking lines and left over R&B moves when he was reinventing the instrument for rock. Melodic yet still held the entire bottom end whist movin it around..just didnt thump out the root...dude is a crazy good bassist.

Absolutely. At the time, there was only really Paul Samwell-Smith in the Yardbirds doing anything more than just playing the root. McCartney's a hugely creative player.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    No one said Herbie Flowers yet?

• maybe not in the league of most of these guys but Mr.McKasty sounds nice on 'breaking atoms'

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Highest-level cosign:

James Jamerson
    Paul McCartney
    Steve Scipio
    Tina Weymouth

Add:

Bernard Edwards (Chic, Sister Sledge, etc.etc.)
    Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
    Sting
    Andy Rourke (The Smiths)

• That first list in this thread was . I mean Flea and no Mingus. What the fuck?

Chuck Rainy
    Charlie Haden
    Cecil Mcbee

I recently saw Edgar Meyer and he was good.

• Cleveland Eaton deserves a mention (ramsey lewis) His solos on Funky Serenity Lp do it for me bass wise

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    the one and only jaco pastorius

OK, I'mma pull out a good story for this one told to me by an old jazz head.
    Guy is talking to Ron Carter and Yusef Lateef outside a jazz club in NYC before they play that night. They're talking and up from the shadows walks the one and only Jaco Pastorius. Mr. Pastorius puts out his hand to Ron Carter and says "Hi, Jaco Pastorius, greatest bassist of all time."
    Ron Carter: I know who you are muhfucka.
    Jaco: What, I just...
    Ron: I know 5 jazz bassists NOT me who are better than you.
    Yusef: I know 10, you can't even play standup bass and you play jazz!
    Ron: My last concert you were in the audience dribbling a basketball. (Turns to security outside) If this muhfucka comes inside, I'm not playing tonight.

Now that is truly

• the one and only jaco pastorius

OK, I'mma pull out a good story for this one told to me by an old jazz head.
    Guy is talking to Ron Carter and Yusef Lateef outside a jazz club in NYC before they play that night. They're talking and up from the shadows walks the one and only Jaco Pastorius. Mr. Pastorius puts out his hand to Ron Carter and says "Hi, Jaco Pastorius, greatest bassist of all time."
    Ron Carter: I know who you are muhfucka.
    Jaco: What, I just...
    Ron: I know 5 jazz bassists NOT me who are better than you.
    Yusef: I know 10, you can't even play standup bass and you play jazz!
    Ron: My last concert you were in the audience dribbling a basketball. (Turns to security outside) If this muhfucka comes inside, I'm not playing tonight.

Now that is truly

Great story, "I know 10" hahahaha

• Mingus

He should be at the top of the list.

I'm sayin', I can't believe this wasn't the first name mentioned.