DIGGING ETHICS (RR)

2»

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Down here in Africa, digging ethics reach a whole new dimension.
    You could literally buy records for pennies.
    I usually make different stacks depending on condition and estimated value.
    I pay $2 on stuff that I just buy out of curiousity. $10 for stuff that I know is good and $20 and more for stuff that know is worth loot. It has also be considered, that in most cases, there is a middle man: someone who took you to the owner of the records so in the end these prices double once you pay off the agent. So far I went as high as $200 for one LP. This practice not only gives you a lot of happy faces all around but also ensures that everybody and their dog will be scouting the city for records until you return a few weeks later. Most importantly, no-one is going to sell their shit to other white faces who are digging on a backpacker's budget.

Very honorable... and very smart. Way to be.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    seriously thou you guys dont know evil until you have this guy called richard from record exchange here in brisbane..

the guys a chump

sheep knows the deal!

word. fuck brisbane. full stop. hahahh

WEAK FOR WAX, but you do iight hommie...

I know who you mean! I dropped into record exchange... geeze what a painful experience.

I'll tel you right now that Sydney got you beat though. There's on old, old record store tucked away in an inner west suburb that has gold, but the guy that runs it is a first class nut. He thinks all his records that didn't sell in the 70s have quadruppled in value. No shit. Everything is priced really weird. And if you take a record to the counter, you can fully expect dude to say, 'oh sorry, this was priced 10 years ago, it's now double that.'

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    What's your digging ethics?

I don't have any, because all my spots are super top secret and I don't have to fight anybody over records.

• What's your digging ethics?

I don't have any, because all my spots are super top secret and I don't have to fight anybody over records.

Is this the spot where you came up on that copy of Sun Goddess?

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    i hate secret squirrel....
    we will find where u live and follow you around
    and expose your "secret spot" here!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    high as $200 for one LP.

On which mix?

• record show dealers!!!
    i appreciate the sellers that don't grip the raers and know my money is as good as the next persons money.

That attitude keeps both of us happy while the money and karma keeps flowing.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    high as $200 for one LP.

On which mix?

This was the blue Marijata LP with "no condition is permanent".
    the whole album is great, I included "break through" on the "this hustling world" mix:

00:00 Gyedu-Blay Ambolley -this hustling world
    04:10 Marijata -break through
    09:10 George Danquah -just for a moment
    12:48 Rob -more
    18:00 The Apostles -black is beautiful
    22:30 Ebo Taylor & Uhuru Yenzu -victory
    26:40 K. Frimpong -kyenkyen bi adu m'awu
    33:33 Ebo Taylor -peace on earth
    41:10 Gyedu-Blay Ambolley -fa no dem ara
    45:45 George Danquah -araba soso wo ndzema
    49:58 Bunzu Soundz -zimabu
    53:10 CK Mann -ahejde

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    the best line i ever heard was from a notorious east coast dealer: "let me listen to it on your portable, and then i can formulate a price".

• the best line i ever heard was from a notorious east coast dealer: "let me listen to it on your portable, and then i can formulate a price".

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Down here in Africa, digging ethics reach a whole new dimension.
    You could literally buy records for pennies.
    I usually make different stacks depending on condition and estimated value.
    I pay $2 on stuff that I just buy out of curiousity. $10 for stuff that I know is good and $20 and more for stuff that know is worth loot. It has also be considered, that in most cases, there is a middle man: someone who took you to the owner of the records so in the end these prices double once you pay off the agent. So far I went as high as $200 for one LP. This practice not only gives you a lot of happy faces all around but also ensures that everybody and their dog will be scouting the city for records until you return a few weeks later. Most importantly, no-one is going to sell their shit to other white faces who are digging on a backpacker's budget.

They deserve the money, and in the long run you'll feel better about scoring the records than you would have if you made a fortune flippin' em. Seems like you're having success because of your etiquette and ethics.

In the long run it always pays not to rip people off and to always do good respectable buisiness. Im sure you will get much better records this way. which is what its all about.