Pricing records.

UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Im sure theres a million threads about this. I often have problems using popsike to get accurate pricing. Are there books out there.... a yearly pricing guide... Or is a lot of it subjective. Save the elitist reponses please. Thanks.

Comments

• When I priced records, Jerry Osbourne's book was the most helpful.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Only trust GEMM and books written by people over the age of 60.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Or is a lot of it subjective.

supply and demand...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Only trust GEMM and books written by people over the age of 60.

You and me both.

• a lot of it subjective

• So how well does the whole Grip and Flip work out? Do people ever have any nightmares on ebay just ending up selling a whole lot for 6 bucks a pop... or do records generally sell for what their worth? Im not really trying to step into the sellers game... but Im just broke as fuck right now and might wanna sell some records to finance printing my next mix CD. Should I go with non auction sites, or is Ebay the best bet? I know people around here dont really wanna give out their knowledge but I am just curious how this game goes. Am I only going to make money on Psych, Funk, Jazz, and Library type joints? Or do people buy Sir Douglass quintet LPs for 50 bucks on ebay. Lemme know, and thanks again.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Scrawl the price across the sleeve in permanent marker in order to thwart the tag-switchers.

I know a spot that writes the price on the back of the jacket in pencil!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    So how well does the whole Grip and Flip work out? Do people ever have any nightmares on ebay just ending up selling a whole lot for 6 bucks a pop... or do records generally sell for what their worth? Im not really trying to step into the sellers game... but Im just broke as fuck right now and might wanna sell some records to finance printing my next mix CD. Should I go with non auction sites, or is Ebay the best bet? I know people around here dont really wanna give out their knowledge but I am just curious how this game goes. Am I only going to make money on Psych, Funk, Jazz, and Library type joints? Or do people buy Sir Douglass quintet LPs for 50 bucks on ebay. Lemme know, and thanks again.
    Ebay is a tough sell these days to get $$$ for common joints, it ain't like it used to be in the late 90s. Ebay is probably the biggest market to tap, but you won't be getting $50 for your Sir Douglas LPs in a hurry unless they are abnomalies.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    have you even bothered looking up the records you want to sell on Ebay before you came on here?

• So how well does the whole Grip and Flip work out? Do people ever have any nightmares on ebay just ending up selling a whole lot for 6 bucks a pop... or do records generally sell for what their worth? Im not really trying to step into the sellers game... but Im just broke as fuck right now and might wanna sell some records to finance printing my next mix CD. Should I go with non auction sites, or is Ebay the best bet? I know people around here dont really wanna give out their knowledge but I am just curious how this game goes. Am I only going to make money on Psych, Funk, Jazz, and Library type joints? Or do people buy Sir Douglass quintet LPs for 50 bucks on ebay. Lemme know, and thanks again.

WTF is this bullshit.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    have you even bothered looking up the records you want to sell on Ebay before you came on here?

Homeboy told you not to bring that elitist sh!t in here, Meaty.

I agree, a quick search of completed ebay auctions on a few things you are looking to sell will give you a pretty good gauge on what's up.

Homeboy told you not to bring that elitist sh!t in here, Meaty.

I'm one of the elite ones who bothers to check websites other than popsike to get an idea of what a record is worth.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Meaty- Send me those beats you promised!!!

I shall. My head aint been in the right place lately.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I shall. My head aint been in the right place lately.

Funnel all of that confusion into making music. And then send it to me. I will price it for you.

• Wow what a bunch of pricks, Fuck off if you have nothing to contribute.

I did check other sites... Mainly I was asking about other resources to look shit up to get accurate pricing, not how much a specific record was. And I didn't call anyone an elitist, I said leave the elitist shit at the door. Why are you bitches talking shit anyway?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Why are you bitches talking shit anyway?

These bitches are talking shit because they honor this website as a community. And people who do not make genuine contributions to the community tend not to get good information in return for logging in and asking for it.

So in other words...

Fuck off if you have nothing to contribute

That was really well played.

I thought the guy got given some pretty good info in the course of this thread, the fact is that there isn't really any singular magic record pricing "be all-end all" resource.

• the fact is that there isn't really any singular magic record pricing "be all-end all" resource.
    which makes it tough for squirely little johhny-jump-all-in-its trying to find a new hustle. never understood this...if you want to make money, spend a month at the library (not even) and learn how to flip real estate or autos. REALMONEY.
    records?!?! peanuts,man. leave that shit to people who have been looking at records constantly for the last 3-15 years, for pleasure. they dont need popsike to figure out if a record is rare or not.

and asking for a price guide is about the gayest shit in the world.(no antihomo)
    if you dont know shit about shit, why should you be making money offa it?? go to school first and dont start popping off at the scholars

go to school first and dont start popping off at the scholars

REELTAWK

• You guys are hillarious. Who said I was trying to do this for a living? Quit playing yourselves.

• You guys are hillarious. Who said I was trying to do this for a living? Quit playing yourselves.

just put all your shit on ebay and see how it does
    or list em all on soulstrut and see how much strutters are willing to drop
    be creatve and proactive

Hey just send me a sell list of all your records you want to put on ebay and I'll tell you if they'll sell or not.

To make it easy for you...you can start with the turds you priced.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Save the elitist reponses please. Thanks.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    You guys are hillarious. Who said I was trying to do this for a living? Quit playing yourselves.

BAN

You guys are hillarious. Who said I was trying to do this for a living? Quit playing yourselves.

just put all your shit on ebay and see how it does
    or list em all on soulstrut and see how much strutters are willing to drop
    be creatve and proactive
    or even better, post the list in this thread so we all get more comedy from people shitting all over it