CLASSICS that suck...

Comments

• Although it's probably not considered a classic in these circles I would like to bring in Queen - Bohemian Crapsody.
    Worst song ever.

• mountain - long red

With exception of about maybe 20 secs.

It's pretty funny how far that 20 secs has gone.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    If you don't LOVE Run DMC, you do not love hip-hop. You might think you do, but you don't.

darn! i guess i dont love hip-hop. if only my real genuine taste in music allowed me to be more "real"...

I guess you don't. No, actually, I KNOW you don't. This has nothing to do with being "real" and everything to do with appreciating just how monumental and incredible the music these dudes made was and how vital to the culture and growth of hip-hop. But, I am wasting my words..

you sound a little asshurt. do you really think i don't recognize how monumental, incredible and vital to the culture and growth of hip-hop their music was? that has nothing to do with what the thread was about: i don't like to listen to their music.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I think it's really funny that even though the thread came with explicit instruction NOT to critize peoples selections, very few people actually has the GUTS to come out and say they don't like a classic song. Instead, the play it safe and go "how can you not like so and so", etc.

I'd post a huge list of bonafide soul, funk and hiphop classics I hate. But I can't think of any right now.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if you dont LOVE the beatles, then you hate MUSIC.

if you dont LOVE volkswagens, then you hate CARS.

if you dont LOVE pasta, then you hate FOOD.
    this is not a eurocentric point of view

at all

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    no classics, but .. ED BANGER / JUSTICE

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

classic hot garbage

overplayed? probably. DEFINITELY doesn't suck. it's one of the greatest rock albums ever.

Brian sucks, Bon was AC/DC's only real lead singer, hearing "You Shook Me All Night Long"
    makes me wanna gouge my ears out, and I love AC/DC!

• man, if you don't recognize how pasta changed the game of food, then you're just

• If you don't LOVE Run DMC, you do not love hip-hop. You might think you do, but you don't.

darn! i guess i dont love hip-hop. if only my real genuine taste in music allowed me to be more "real"...

I guess you don't. No, actually, I KNOW you don't. This has nothing to do with being "real" and everything to do with appreciating just how monumental and incredible the music these dudes made was and how vital to the culture and growth of hip-hop. But, I am wasting my words..

you sound a little asshurt. do you really think i don't recognize how monumental, incredible and vital to the culture and growth of hip-hop their music was? that has nothing to do with what the thread was about: i don't like to listen to their music.

Not asshurt, I just think you, and alot of other folks on this board, have really shitty taste in music.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    If you don't LOVE Run DMC, you do not love hip-hop. You might think you do, but you don't.

Not asshurt, I just think you, and alot of other folks on this board, have really shitty taste in music.

Ha ha ha.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I don't hate this song...just have no urge to listen to it again. DEAL.

Isn't this more a matter of over-familiarity rather than the song/record actually sucking? I mean, I like all the tunes you listed at the top, but the worst I could say about any of them is that they're a bit played out.

To stay on topic, though - and I'm sure I said as much in a James Brown thread a few months ago - love the man's work though I do, if I were to live the rest of my life without ever hearing "Sex Machine" again, I wouldn't be too upset.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Run-DMC is essential..................cop the greatsest hits..

Criticizing these dudes for not being complex is missing the point and you know it. I mean we are talking about DOZENS of the best rap songs ever. As a matter of fact, name 5 other rap groups who made as many ESSENTIAL songs.

Jay-Z
    Jigga
    JHova
    Sean Carter
    Corey

Dozens = minimum 24 Essential rap songs........Run DMC??????

Perfection,Darryl & Joe......essential?

I still think ur confusing cultural impact vs artistic impact.

"A fly, he wont die and a little gnat....."

Now Peter Piper picked peppers but Run rocked rhymes
    Humpty Dumpty fell down that's his hard time
    Jack B. Nimble what nimble and he was quick
    But Jam Master cut faster Jack's on Jay's dick
    Now Little Bo Peep cold lost her sheep
    And Rip van Winkle fell the hell asleep
    And Alice chillin somewhere in Wonderland
    Jack's servin Jill a bucket in his hand
    And Jam Master Jay's making out our sound
    The turntables might wobble but they don't fall down

Now Dr. Seuss and Mother Goose both did their thing
    But Jam Master's gettin loose and D.M.C.'s the king
    Cause he's adult entertainer
    Child educator
    Jam Master Jay king of the crossfader
    He's the better of the best best believe he's the baddest
    Perfect timin when I'm climbin I'm a rhymin apparatus
    Lot of guts
    When he cuts
    Girls move their butts
    His name is Jay hear the play he must be nuts
    And on the mix real quick and I'd like to say
    He's not Flash but he's fast and his name is Jay

Jay's like King Midas as I was told
    Everything that he touched turned to gold
    He's the greatest of the greater get it straight
    He's great
    Playing fame cause his name is known in every state
    His name is Jay
    To see him play
    Will make you say
    God damn that DJ made my day
    Like the butcher the baker
    The candlestick maker
    He's a maker a breaker
    And a title taker
    Like the little old lady who lived in a shoe
    If cuts were kids he would be you
    Not lyin y'all he's the best I know
    And if I lie my nose will grow
    Like a little wooden boy named Pinocchio
    And you all know how the story go

Tricks are for kids he plays much gigs
    He's a big bad wolf and you're the three pigs
    He's a big bad wolf in your neighborhood
    Not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good

We're Run-D.M.C. got a beef to settle
    D's not Hansel he's not Gretel
    Jay's a winner
    Not a beginner
    His pockets get fat others get thinner
    Jump on Jay like cows jump moons
    People chase Jay like dish and spoon
    And like all fairy tales end
    You'll see Jay again my friend

GREATER THAN EVERY RHYME KOOL KEITH EVER WROTE PUT TOGETHER. I mean I love Critical Beatdown man, but seriously...
    Take away Bob James and you even wouldnt be bringing those verses to the conversation.
    Seriously. This is a joke right. Ive partied to this song a gang of times, but to try and hold these Peter Piper verses up as an example of some genius is crazy.

All just chalk it up to we both like the artist but have different standards when judging skills.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I never liked that Jay-Z song sampling Little Orphan Annie.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Take away Bob James and you even wouldnt be bringing those verses to the conversation.
    Seriously. This is a joke right. Ive partied to this song a gang of times, but to try and hold these Peter Piper verses up as an example of some genius is crazy.

All just chalk it up to we both like the artist but have different standards when judging skills.

Surely the point here is that it's the whole thing that's great - not the Mardi Gras bells on their own, or the rhymes on their own, but the combination of those elements, the delivery, the interplay of the voices, the live cutting over the 808, and so on. You could break any number of songs down to their component parts and find some things that are stronger than others, but you'd probably lose the essence of what makes a song great in the process

Surely the point here is that it's the whole thing that's great - not the Mardi Gras bells on their own, or the rhymes on their own, but the combination of those elements, the delivery, the interplay of the voices, the live cutting over the 808, and so on. You could break any number of songs down to their component parts and find some things that are stronger than others, but you'd probably lose the essence of what makes a song great in the process

Of course. But he highlighted the Peter Piper Lyrics to prove a point.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i cant fuck with "Brick House"

i cant fuck with "Brick House"

LOL

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "Brick House"

It is the epitome of "YEEOOOWWWWW" fonk.

• Understanding what they did for the game is way different than what the art was.

this is what I'm saying.

• do The Doors count? Or is that playing it too safe?

• Understanding what they did for the game is way different than what the art was.

this is what I'm saying.
    agree.
    but i still love RUN DMC.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I want to change the title of the thread to "CLASSICS you never liked..." but it won't let me.

I was going to list "Brick Hooooooowwwwwwwwwse" too.

If you like all the songs listed on this site, I don't know what to tell you...

http://digitaldreamdoor.com

this is what I'm saying.
    agree.

but i still love RUN DMC.

oh me too. Run DMC is a bad example because in addition to their huge contributions I actually enjoy their music. but like I said earlier there are PLENTY of rap classics that I can't really stand listening to. that does not, however, mean that I don't recognize their importance.

I think a better thread title would have been "Classics that you don't actually enjoy listening to."

After all, Run DMC has classics that, although YOU may not really wanna listen to anymore, you could never say "suck" due to the obvious historical weight and influence. Suck is too all-encompassing an adjective to apply to important music that you think sounds bad.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    "Brick House"

It is the epitome of "YEEOOOWWWWW" fonk.

I got together with those OLD vegas funk band they were trying to get back together and do some strip gigs. They just told me they were a funk band looking for a guitarist.. SO i get to this dudes garage, and I end up doing a bunch of covers that I never in my life would want to play.

Including a BREAKFACE version of Brick house. They had a badass drummer in his 50's with his hair pressed and in rollers with a shower cap on (swear to god!) Me and him turned Brickhouse into a bboy anthem.

I wish I could've recorded that session.

- spidey

Rose Royce - Car Wash

Car Wash Album > The Car Wash single.

• Options

Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine

DIEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This is my favorite Frickin' song of all time.

• Options
    Isaac-"Shaft" and all variations

Watch yo car.....

• Isaac-"Shaft" and all variations

but to it's credits it's an amazing song and Isaac nailed it with his composition. But it's been paradoyed by so many cornballs...I can't fuck with it.

• Options

Watch yo car.....

The boring hi-hat intro...The boring first notes.