CLASSICS that suck...

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i could think of plenty probably, and i definitely agree with a lot that have been posted. the 1979-83 rap thing somebody said was pretty good for me, although i definitely like a lot of the early stuff with live instrumentation. i can only hear so many tracks of a dude rapping over some 808 beat before i get completely bored. and run dmc, i have most of their albums in my collection but i really cant remember the last time i pulled one out to listen to it. probably five years ago at the most recent!

bustin loose is definitely not a favorite of mine by any means, i also never really liked the break, if we wanna talk about that.

900 number (the instrumental) would be good if it were like....20 seconds long. haha

superstition has always just been "ok" to me. i like it, but not my favorite.

car wash is annoying.

respect GREW on me. i love that song. heard it through the grapevine is great too.

normally i wouldnt like a thread like this, trying to stir up some controversy, but this one is actually pretty good! nice place to finally admit that you dont really like all that shit you were scared to at first.

let's add to this list, whether theyre classics or not, 50% of the late 60s-early 70s prestige releases, and about 90% of the late 60s-early 70s blue note releases.
    THERE ARE SOME GREAT RECORDS but for the most part i could do without these "almost funky jams". i remember a few years ago when i dissed prestige i got destroyed, lets try again! a lot of the output is WEAK!

• yeah Kiss is horrendous, never understood the appeal of that crap.

here are a couple more:

zzzzzzz

THIS RECORD SUCKS.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

Blue Monday - New Order

This is a slap to all Asian-Americans who uniformly love this song.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Damn you guys like to play it safe eh? Kiss, Steely Dan?

C'mon people, hit me with some !

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Try and list songs rather than just an artists name too.

• mountain - long red

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I'm trying to constitute what is "Classic" first?

• I'm trying to constitute what is "Classic" first?

ahhhh soulstrut and " classics" i find this to be a joke everytime. not to long ago it was stated that young jeezy should be a classic..or something like that.
    people are posting drum breaks....even sucker mcs ! get real...no bassline, no hook, maybe "action" sucks then as well huh ? nothing like it at the time.
    also, why they suck. your age.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

classic hot garbage

• busta rhymes. If he has anything considered classic, not sure. But it sucks.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Superstition really? I think that says more about you though.

- spidey

• C'mon people, hit me with some !

I don't like Tribe Called Quest. Especially Q-Tips nasally voice.

• this is a CLASSIC thread that (always) sucks.

huuuuuuuuge cosine

• classic hot garbage

overplayed? probably. DEFINITELY doesn't suck. it's one of the greatest rock albums ever.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Nas - Illmatic & Jay-Z - Blueprint

Great songs on an overall badly sequenced albums.

Polished mixed taped camoflagued by hype.

• I wonder if this thread is a joke, because whether or not it is, it's a JOKE, you know what I mean? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and an opinion cannot be wrong but it can sure be laughable. Hating on the 900 Number? Or Marvin Gaye? Hating on RUN DMMOTHERFUCKING C? All this jaded "I hate everything" type shit is so tired. This reminds me of that "White Rap Fans" comic in On the Go. If you don't LOVE Run DMC, you do not love hip-hop. You might think you do, but you don't.

If you don't LOVE Run DMC, you do not love hip-hop. You might think you do, but you don't.

darn! i only LIKE run DMC. i guess i dont love hip-hop. if only my 100% honest genuine taste in music allowed me to be more "real"...

• If you don't LOVE Run DMC, you do not love hip-hop. You might think you do, but you don't.

darn! i guess i dont love hip-hop. if only my real genuine taste in music allowed me to be more "real"...

I guess you don't. No, actually, I KNOW you don't. This has nothing to do with being "real" and everything to do with appreciating just how monumental and incredible the music these dudes made was and how vital to the culture and growth of hip-hop. But, I am wasting my words..

If you don't LOVE Run DMC, you do not love hip-hop. You might think you do, but you don't.

darn! i guess i dont love hip-hop. if only my real genuine taste in music allowed me to be more "real"...

I guess you don't. No, actually, I KNOW you don't. This has nothing to do with being "real" and everything to do with appreciating just how monumental and incredible the music these dudes made was and how vital to the culture and growth of hip-hop. But, I am wasting my words..

"with the simple back and forth - the same ole rhythms-
    "That a baby can recite....."

I dont think its that alien to be a Hip Hop fan and not like Run DMC.
    I grew up on them but after Raising Hell...tell me i need any other album.

I hardly retern to thier first 2 joints. I only skip to the songs i like.

Understanding what they did for the game is way different than what the art was.

Hella CLASSIC singles, but their album game is mad shakey IMO.

• If you don't LOVE Run DMC, you do not love hip-hop. You might think you do, but you don't.

Understanding what they did for the game is way different than what the art was.

Listen Mr. MC Ultra, no one said that they didn't make some shitty album cuts, but their classics are the MOST CLASSIC. To say that you don't need an album after Raising Hell is missing the point (it's like saying "show me which albums by them are essential, other than their three absolutely essential albums") although, me personally I can't live without Tougher Than Leather either. My point is that at their best they basically are everything that is good and essential about rap music and to see jaded people in this thread playing them off as overrated is just so silly. Same with 99% of the other posts in this thread, I mean dude bagging on Aretha, you are SO COOL, EVERYTHING is beneath you.

The real question is: "Back From Hell" or "Ced Gee Presents the Basement Tapes", which is more disgraceful?

Listen Mr. MC Ultra, no one said that they didn't make some shitty album cuts, but their classics are the MOST CLASSIC. To say that you don't need an album after Raising Hell is missing the point (it's like saying "show me which albums by them are essential, other than their three absolutely essential albums") although, me personally I can't live without Tougher Than Leather either. My point is that at their best they basically are everything that is good and essential about rap music and to see jaded people in this thread playing them off as overrated is just so silly. Same with 99% of the other posts in this thread, I mean dude bagging on Aretha, you are SO COOL, EVERYTHING is beneath you.

The real question is: "Back From Hell" or "Ced Gee Presents the Basement Tapes", which is more disgraceful?

Neither are Classics.

Remember Graffiti Rock when Kool Moe Dee single handedly destroyed Run DMC?

"Im DMC in the place to be - In the place to be is DMC..."

Run-DMC is essential..................cop the greatsest hits..

i can appreciate that. i appreciate the impact of many many groups i dont particularly like listening to. what difference does it make whether or not i like their work aesthetically? seems like plenty of people on here make these "rules" based on their own personal tastes. watch, i can do it too:

if you dont LOVE the beatles, then you hate MUSIC.

if you dont LOVE volkswagens, then you hate CARS.

if you dont LOVE pasta, then you hate FOOD.

Neither are Classics.

Remember Graffiti Rock when Kool Moe Dee single handedly destroyed Run DMC?

"Im DMC in the place to be - In the place to be is DMC..."

Criticizing these dudes for not being complex is missing the point and you know it. I mean we are talking about DOZENS of the best rap songs ever. As a matter of fact, name 5 other rap groups who made as many ESSENTIAL songs.

i can appreciate that. i appreciate the impact of many many groups i dont particularly like listening to. what difference does it make whether or not i like their work aesthetically? seems like plenty of people on here make these "rules" based on their own personal tastes. watch, i can do it too:

if you dont LOVE the beatles, then you hate MUSIC.

if you dont LOVE volkswagens, then you hate CARS.

if you dont LOVE pasta, then you hate FOOD.

You are entitled to your opinion, it's just that the way people are expressing things in this thread is ludicrous. Also, this is not based on my own personal taste. It's based on the indisputable FACT that these guys were incredible and made some of the best music of their era in any genre.

Criticizing these dudes for not being complex is missing the point and you know it. I mean we are talking about DOZENS of the best rap songs ever. As a matter of fact, name 5 other rap groups who made as many ESSENTIAL songs.
    Jay-Z
    Jigga
    JHova
    Sean Carter
    Corey

Dozens = minimum 24 Essential rap songs........Run DMC??????

Perfection,Darryl & Joe......essential?

I still think ur confusing cultural impact vs artistic impact.

"A fly, he wont die and a little gnat....."

im saying, im aware of the impact they had and i fully appreciate that, but who cares if i love listening to them or not? what is that saying about me really. are you saying if i dont love everything that had a cultural impact aesthetically, that its also a FACT that i have bad taste? ive got nothing for love for run dmc, who they are and what theyve done, but its not like i have a turntable with tougher than leather glued to the platter.

• Run-DMC is essential..................cop the greatsest hits..

Jay-Z
    Jigga
    JHova
    Sean Carter
    Corey

Dozens = minimum 24 Essential rap songs........Run DMC??????

Perfection,Darryl & Joe......essential?

"A fly, he wont die and a little gnat....."
    Now Peter Piper picked peppers but Run rocked rhymes
    Humpty Dumpty fell down that's his hard time
    Jack B. Nimble what nimble and he was quick
    But Jam Master cut faster Jack's on Jay's dick
    Now Little Bo Peep cold lost her sheep
    And Rip van Winkle fell the hell asleep
    And Alice chillin somewhere in Wonderland
    Jack's servin Jill a bucket in his hand
    And Jam Master Jay's making out our sound
    The turntables might wobble but they don't fall down

Now Dr. Seuss and Mother Goose both did their thing
    But Jam Master's gettin loose and D.M.C.'s the king
    Cause he's adult entertainer
    Child educator
    Jam Master Jay king of the crossfader
    He's the better of the best best believe he's the baddest
    Perfect timin when I'm climbin I'm a rhymin apparatus
    Lot of guts
    When he cuts
    Girls move their butts
    His name is Jay hear the play he must be nuts
    And on the mix real quick and I'd like to say
    He's not Flash but he's fast and his name is Jay

Jay's like King Midas as I was told
    Everything that he touched turned to gold
    He's the greatest of the greater get it straight
    He's great
    Playing fame cause his name is known in every state
    His name is Jay
    To see him play
    Will make you say
    God damn that DJ made my day
    Like the butcher the baker
    The candlestick maker
    He's a maker a breaker
    And a title taker
    Like the little old lady who lived in a shoe
    If cuts were kids he would be you
    Not lyin y'all he's the best I know
    And if I lie my nose will grow
    Like a little wooden boy named Pinocchio
    And you all know how the story go

Tricks are for kids he plays much gigs
    He's a big bad wolf and you're the three pigs
    He's a big bad wolf in your neighborhood
    Not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good

We're Run-D.M.C. got a beef to settle
    D's not Hansel he's not Gretel
    Jay's a winner
    Not a beginner
    His pockets get fat others get thinner
    Jump on Jay like cows jump moons
    People chase Jay like dish and spoon
    And like all fairy tales end
    You'll see Jay again my friend

GREATER THAN EVERY RHYME KOOL KEITH EVER WROTE PUT TOGETHER. I mean I love Critical Beatdown man, but seriously...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Jay-Z

Still waiting for Dylan and The Beatles, then it's a wrap on this thread.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Classic tracks[/b] that you just can't hang with for whatever reason. Everyone's got them, so come clean...
    Classic tracks[/b] that you just can't hang with for whatever reason. Everyone's got them, so come clean...

• I never was that into Midnight Marauders even when it came out. I liked 2 or 3 songs but that was about it. Same with The Chronic.

edit: and I gotta say MC Shan's The Bridge never really did it for me.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Dylan

^^^ !!!