Leroy Hutson Appreciation (RR)

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
It was due time for me to post something record related.So, I moved into my new place recently and it took me a few days to get everything going. Once I got my music equipment all set up, the first record I threw on was a nice clean promo copy of Love Oh Love. While I've liked the album and owned a copy for 4 or 5 years, I've never really appreciated it like I did last week. Just showing some love for ol' Mr. Hutson. Feel free to rap about Leroy, Old vs. New Impressions joints, Curtis, the Curtom label, or anything else you dig in that vein. I have plenty of other stuff like this in the collection, so I wonder what I'm sleeping on.

Comments

• groundhog - bumpin'on gemigo records

it's got leroy all over it. i dig this side.

• ha i have Leroy Hutson - Hutson in my hand as i was reading this.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

"Leroy Hutson II" is one of my all-time favorite albums. There's nothing like cleaning up the crib to "Love the Feeling." I celebrate this man's catalogue fo sho!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Yes! There are so many gems in his catalog; every one of his albums has at least 1 bona fide classic on it, if not 6.

It's tough for me to pick a favorite LH album, but I have to go with Closer To The Source. That LP is solid from beginning to end IMO.

SG

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Do any of you folls like The Man! ?
    Not his best album, IMO but it's not bad. Hutson is my favorite LP.

• Do any of you folls like The Man! ?
    Not his best album, IMO but it's not bad. Hutson is my favorite LP.

I love this album.

You can hear a lot of Curtis comming through on it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I used to ride for "Paradise" but lately I've given up on it.

so now I got 2 copies for trade

Closer to the source used to be the album I'd buy give a chance and then resell, this happened up until my 8th copy.

now its a keeper

• Hutson seems to be fairly unappreciated in the world of Soul to some extent. I mean, for somebody to come in and fill the shoes of Curtis Mayfield is no easy task. And to have such a great solo career following that, it seems like he should have been recognized as one of the best, but it doesn't seem like he was. Am I just disconnected from the 70s Soul experience? Or did Leroy Hutson really get somewhat overlooked when he was hot?

Anyway, I need to go fill in the gaps in my Hutson discography.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yo,

"Leroy Hutson II" is one of my all-time favorite albums. There's nothing like cleaning up the crib to "Love the Feeling." I celebrate this man's catalogue fo sho!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Leroy Hutson LPs never turn up in OZ, but I was lucky enough to scoop this one at a spot recently, and now I know what all the fuss is about. Great funky soul.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

YES

• YES

Was this the first Impressions album with Hutson? I sleep. I need this.

• i ride for HUTSON. chunky drums and all around nice album. "its different" is my jam.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Yes, yes, & yes

Make sure you get the poster.

• YES

I think this may have been the ONLY Impressions album with Hutson. Didn't he start making solo albums right after this?

• Hutson seems to be fairly unappreciated in the world of Soul to some extent. I mean, for somebody to come in and fill the shoes of Curtis Mayfield is no easy task. And to have such a great solo career following that, it seems like he should have been recognized as one of the best, but it doesn't seem like he was. Am I just disconnected from the 70s Soul experience? Or did Leroy Hutson really get somewhat overlooked when he was hot?

He may have. According to the Billboard charts, he only made the soul Top 40 twice..."All Because Of You" (#31, 1975) and "Feel The Spirit In '76" (#25, 1976). Still, he must have had some kind of audience because he made so many albums, and although he seldom turns up on dusties shows, those who were there remember. ("So In Love With You" does get played on Chicago dusties radio programs because it was a stepper's cut, but apart from that...)

• It was due time for me to post something record related.

So, I moved into my new place recently and it took me a few days to get everything going. Once I got my music equipment all set up, the first record I threw on was a nice clean promo copy of Love Oh Love. While I've liked the album and owned a copy for 4 or 5 years, I've never really appreciated it like I did last week.

Just showing some love for ol' Mr. Hutson. Feel free to rap about Leroy, Old vs. New Impressions joints, Curtis, the Curtom label, or anything else you dig in that vein. I have plenty of other stuff like this in the collection, so I wonder what I'm sleeping on.

I pretty much dig everything he did on Curtom. Are they're any non curtom 45's he produced besides the Gemigo (arnold blair, groundhogs) stuff out there?

• "in the mood" interlude
    and his white suit on closer to the source

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I am a massive fan of Hutson's Grown Man Soul. Love Oh Love is probably still my favourite but I'll happily play through any of his first six releases. As Long as There's Love Around is a song that really needs to be recognised as the soul classic it is.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I will ride all day for his production/arranging abilities, but am I the only one that thinks he's a little weak in the writing department? His catalog is full of tracks that have a lot of the right elements, but lack strong hooks and fall short of being hit-material. Also, most of his "political" material is mad corny to me.

• You never know what you can do (give it a try) of Feel the Spirit is such a jam!

• YES

I think this may have been the ONLY Impressions album with Hutson. Didn't he start making solo albums right after this?

I know it was soon, I think maybe he did one more?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Hutson seems to be fairly unappreciated in the world of Soul to some extent. I mean, for somebody to come in and fill the shoes of Curtis Mayfield is no easy task. And to have such a great solo career following that, it seems like he should have been recognized as one of the best, but it doesn't seem like he was. Am I just disconnected from the 70s Soul experience? Or did Leroy Hutson really get somewhat overlooked when he was hot?

He may have. According to the Billboard charts, he only made the soul Top 40 twice..."All Because Of You" (#31, 1975) and "Feel The Spirit In '76" (#25, 1976). Still, he must have had some kind of audience because he made so many albums, and although he seldom turns up on dusties shows, those who were there remember. ("So In Love With You" does get played on Chicago dusties radio programs because it was a stepper's cut, but apart from that...)

While I am a huge Hutson fan, I do find it really strange that his biggest chart hit ("Feel The Spirit in 76") was a semi-instrumental and one of his less-distinguished singles.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    and his white suit on Closer To The Source

• You never know what you can do (give it a try) of Feel the Spirit is such a jam!

major

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    I can’t remember whether any Leroy Hutson made it into the Soulstrut 100 but I think it’s safe to say that most of us have loved the man’s music. Last year’s French EPs added a little sizzle for the completists and even the Acid Jazz issued Anthology was worth the money for me so I could play the CD in the car.
    The music is gorgeous classic Leroy Hutson. I knew most of it prior to purchase but was surprised when the track “Right Or Wrong” started with the Sweet Charles sample “He’s a sweet soul brother” on this compilation. I had never noticed that before and wasn’t aware of any connection between the two, so I posted a question on Discogs under the entry for the original RSO single. A few weeks later I got a reply from the owner of a YouTube channel who had posted a clip of Right Or Wrong on YT a while ago: Turns out that the single does not contain this sample at all in any but one version: the video clip posted on the YouTube channel of “funk box” who has been using this jingle as an audio watermark in his YT videos for years.
    Quite shocking to find out that Acid Jazz has included a YouTube rip on this compilation.

• God damn, that's low. It's one thing to fuck around with crud-quality downloaded stuff when you're putting together a free mix, freaking it beyond recognition as a sample etc. but an official reissue? Leroy deserves better. Lazy.
    Duderonomy

• The BizarreThe Bizarre San Francisco, CA 23 Posts
    Great interviews with Leroy Hutson, giving a comprehensive overview of his entire career with music strategically placed throughout. Such a beautifully produced program. I figure if anyone would appreciate this as much as me, they'd be lurking here in the Strut.

One of the highlights for me is Leroy talking about his time in college where he met Donny Hathaway, became close friends and roommates with him and then cowrote "The Ghetto" in their apartment one magical afternoon. Hathaway, being Curtis Mayfield's musical director at the time was also responsible for helping Hutson become selected to replace Mayfield as lead of The Impressions. 

I'd never heard of JM Soul before this but just happened upon it while browsing Mixcloud during one of my heavy Leroy binge periods. Highly recommended for fans of the man or anyone wanting to dig a little bit deeper into his story and music. 

Enjoy!

https://m.mixcloud.com/JMSOUL/jm-leroy-hutson-special-part-1/

https://m.mixcloud.com/JMSOUL/jm-leroy-hutson-special-part-2/

https://m.mixcloud.com/JMSOUL/jm-leroy-hutson-special-part-3/
    DuderonomyfoeMondeyano