revisiting your record collection from high school

2»

Comments

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Back when weed was $35 an ounce we used to listen to these:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I was in High School 1984-1987

This band was my number one untouchable every day play 10x shit:

I was mad into the Beatles and 60's music in general, I had always played my parent's Beatles records as a kid, but in High School I started reading books about them and going to see "Hard Day's Night" at the revival cinemas...this was my favorite of theirs around the time:

Local punk rock:

other punk rock:

dudes that were into punk were into hip hop then, too, at least the ones I knew...I got most of the "classics" as they came out, high school was about:

The first copy my friend Ed & I had of this was the "Hot Club Version" all-instrumental...we didn't even know it had lyrics until months later, which blew our minds all over again. Other high school hip hop jams on lock:

Other random shit I played so much I had to buy new copies years later:

See, this is what happens when you get me started on this shit...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

All of the above +

Poison - Open Up & Say Ahhh

Tom Cochrane & Red Rider - Victory Day

Don Henley - The End of the Innocence

BDP - Street Music

NWA - Straight Outta Compton

Ice Cube - Amerikkka's Most Wanted

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

By no means a complete picture, but that sums up jr and sr year of HS in Mankato MN....

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

this is actually a rare record. GNRs first release on UziSuicide records, privatepressaxlhairbandrare.

you know what? when I got home today, I listened to this and I dont think its really a live record. Have you heard those 'live' hiphop records where the audience is noise is dubbed in? 'holy war (live)' is a good example, you can even hear the audience noise looped.
    I could be wrong about this GNR record though, it might be a really well recorded performance. *but note that they dont say where and when the 'live' recording took place.

For those who have the LP, check it out, am I crazy?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

this is actually a rare record. GNRs first release on UziSuicide records, privatepressaxlhairbandrare.

you know what? when I got home today, I listened to this and I dont think its really a live record. Have you heard those 'live' hiphop records where the audience is noise is dubbed in? 'holy war (live)' is a good example, you can even hear the audience noise looped.
    I could be wrong about this GNR record though, it might be a really well recorded performance. *but note that they dont say where and when the 'live' recording took place.

For those who have the LP, check it out, am I crazy?

I think it is really a live record, from the intro and the fact thec rowd noise isnt looped...I think it was recorded at the trubador if I am not mistaken. really live, yes...private press indie release, no.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Oh shit! Yeah! I forgot about Nation of Ulysees "Plays Pretty for Baby". That was huge for me around the end of high school.
    now THAT'S some fresh west coast ish.

No, its not!

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    Still Have this Ultra Rare four record 7 in. color vinyl set.

Don't have an album cover pic; but I was rocking the MDC hard in highschool:

This one still gets played on the regular:

Oh yeaH, I became somewhat obsessed with this album back then also (still am)