I saw "Knocked Up" recently...

2»

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

might I recommend "Better Off Dead"? I have it on dvd if you want to borrow it...

it's funny I recently revisited that and I didn't think it held up so well...Real Genius on the other hand consistently delivers....

• With Apatow's films, I feel like they must at some point be working with 4-6 hour cuts that they struggle to get down to 2, given how many deleted scenes they have (and how, despite how funny the films are, the final cuts don't always have smooth narrative flows).

luckily for them (and unluckily for the viewing public above the age of 12), DVD technology allows them to stick the remaining material on there as "outrageous outtakes!"

Exhibit A: "You Know How I Know You're A Fag" outtakes on the 40-yr Old Virgin disc.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ......

• might I recommend "Better Off Dead"? I have it on dvd if you want to borrow it...

it's funny I recently revisited that and I didn't think it held up so well...Real Genius on the other hand consistently delivers....

seriously I had fond memories of this movie and wanted to like it upon revisitation. but it just seemed like a high school play. there's so many good 80's comedies that have withstood the test of time; Better Off Dead is just not one of them. Curtis Armstrong's character was particularly unfunny upon re-watching.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

With Apatow's films, I feel like they must at some point be working with 4-6 hour cuts that they struggle to get down to 2, given how many deleted scenes they have (and how, despite how funny the films are, the final cuts don't always have smooth narrative flows).

luckily for them (and unluckily for the viewing public above the age of 12), DVD technology allows them to stick the remaining material on there as "outrageous outtakes!"

Exhibit A: "You Know How I Know You're A Fag" outtakes on the 40-yr Old Virgin disc.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ......

Course usually if I hate a film I don't waste my time with the (optional) bonus features.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Like there were all these extended argument scenes: between ol girl's sister and her husband, between ol girl and the main dude, etc. Some of these arguments went on waaaaay past the point was made, and with not really any comic relief. And then there'd be another drawn out argument like two scenes later.

This part was terrific and well written. It was a great example of the types of fights that couples this age so often get into. I can relate and have seen so many friends in these fights as well. I'm surprised if a guy around this age can't.

So many great moments in this movie:
    - the little girl explaining how babies are made, Mom says, "that's exactly right."
    - the woman at the E! office who ain't supportive
    - the portrayal of the main character and his friends: $132 bank account statements, collecting ninja swords. I lived in this kind of place in college.
    - the entire birth scene was really well constructed

Like someone already said, Knocked Up was an endearing and really funny movie.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

might I recommend "Better Off Dead"? I have it on dvd if you want to borrow it...

seriously I had fond memories of this movie and wanted to like it upon revisitation. but it just seemed like a high school play. there's so many good 80's comedies that have withstood the test of time; Better Off Dead is just not one of them. Curtis Armstrong's character was particularly unfunny upon re-watching.

I've seen it recently and still thought it was great. I dunno.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Hostel 2 looks hilarious can anyone confirm this?

I actually rented that a couple weeks ago. It was I think I laughed more at the first one (the Texas Chainsaw Massacre reference in that one cracked me up), though that one had its share of problems, too. The second one is more like, "Hey, let's show those Saw dudes that we can do some fucked-up kills, too! Plus, we'll get that chick from Welcome to the Dollhouse to get naked!" There was some decent stuff exploring the mentality of the dudes who actually sign up to do the killing, but even that seemed kinda forced.

• might I recommend "Better Off Dead"? I have it on dvd if you want to borrow it...

I've seen it recently and still thought it was great. I dunno.

agreed. i see this on tv at least once a year and while i may not laugh out loud like the first time i saw it, its stands as a classic for me.

"buck up little camper!"

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

You, sir, are the Debbie Downer of the comedy genre. You dislike Knocked Up. You don't like Better Off Dead - which is a certifiable '80's classic. What do you like? Soul Plane? Perhaps darker comedic fare, like Coen Bro's Raising Arizona?

Please school us on what constitutes a good comedy.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

You, sir, are the Debbie Downer of the comedy genre. You dislike Knocked Up. You don't like Better Off Dead - which is a certifiable '80's classic. What do you like? Soul Plane? Perhaps darker comedic fare, like Coen Bro's Raising Arizona?

SOULSTRUT RAP THREADS!

Thank you very much, I'll be here all night folks!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Dude he's the "chadster" he doesn't need to do anything to prove his credentials.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

You, sir, are the Debbie Downer[/b] of the comedy genre.

Seriously though, I thought Superbad was a hilarious return to form after the disappointing and overlong (in my eyes, at least) Knocked Up.

hahaha if you think either Knocked Up or Better Off Dead are even on the same level as Raising Arizona for comedic value (not to mention pure cinematic greatness, e.g. performances, writing, concept, visuals), then I really can't help you lil holmes.

I know there's no accounting for taste, but I don't see how anyone who was awake during these three movies can even begin to compare Knocked Up or Better Off Dead to R.A.

I guess if you got ur first peice of ass during one of those joints then they may hold some magical meaning for you, but I am talking sober, sane assessment of comedic (not to mention artistic) merit.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i dont have the patience for movies. go buy a tv series on dvd. they have replay value and they waste as much or as little time as you want.

• sober

WTF sober gotta do w/ dumb fun comedies? Maybe that's the rub.

Dude, RC, list six comedies you rate highly. Go. Tryna see where you're comin from. (no ayo)

• WTF sober gotta do w/ dumb fun comedies?

absolutely nothing. come on cosmo get ur mothereffing drink on when u watch this shit!

really tho, i thought it was a good movie. it definately wasnt the funniest thing i saw this year but i did like it and i thought it was put together really well. plus i really like bill from freaks and geeks and it was awesome that he was in the flick.

• "Knocked Up" is a comedy w/ some real high-notes that has enough story so wifey can watch too.

absolutely nothing. come on cosmo get ur mothereffing drink on when u watch this shit!

really tho, i thought it was a good movie. it definately wasnt the funniest thing i saw this year but i did like it and i thought it was put together really well. plus i really like bill from freaks and geeks and it was awesome that he was in the flick.

I know shig will agree: GRANDMA'S BOY, batches.

I know shig will agree: GRANDMA'S BOY, batches.

HA!

ADIOS TURDNUGGETS!!!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

hahaha if you think either Knocked Up or Better Off Dead are even on the same level as Raising Arizona for comedic value (not to mention pure cinematic greatness, e.g. performances, writing, concept, visuals), then I really can't help you lil holmes.

I know there's no accounting for taste, but I don't see how anyone who was awake during these three movies can even begin to compare Knocked Up or Better Off Dead to R.A.

I guess if you got ur first peice of ass during one of those joints then they may hold some magical meaning for you, but I am talking sober, sane assessment of comedic (not to mention artistic) merit.

Perhaps you misunderstand me, dude. I'm not trying to debate the relative cinematic qualities/merits of Knocked Up vs. Raising Arizona. To compare Apatow's moviemaking skills to the Coen Bros' would be a foolhardy endeavor. Your initial point however was that Knocked Up is boring and unfunny and similarly disparage Better Off Dead. I am just wondering what constitutes a funny, ha ha movie in your book.

But I still think, looking purely at the "laughing out loud/rolling your in you seat" factor of these movies, that Knocked Up wins over R.A.

And no need to call out my ability to pull pieces of ass. We can address that somewhere else.

• that shit in knocked up with the female gynecologist poking at the main girl and says "oh; that's your asshole, jeez that's the third time today"

that's haha for .03 seconds but get the fuck out of here with that bullshit as a joke that made the cut. for reals. i'm no doctor and i don't have the benefit of a stirrups table (I think saba does though) but i have never made that mistake

come on

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    ...and it was one of the most boring movies I have seen in a looooong time.

Not as boring as American gangster. You were right. Shit suuuuuuuuuuucked.

• this schitt sucked. what's good on DVD comedy-wise right now?[/b]

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Do I sense some question dodging?

- spidey

• I havent read too many of the replies but being the situation im in. Wife and I are expecting our first born any day now this movie was hilarious. But we also dig The Office alot.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    stop watching pussy shit and watch some man movies

• These guys make funny movies, but can we stick the comedies to 90 minutes or less? When did the standard for these flicks become over two hours? Gets to be a little marathon after a while.

Saw this last night.

I was initially turned off upon seeing that it was more than 2 hrs long. I thought I was in for a disappointing movie that suffered because there was not enough editing done to it. However, that wasn't the case. I really enjoyed the movie.